field beans

Gav836

Anyone out there have any preference as to how you put you field beans in? Do you prefer to plough and press them in after broadcasting them on, or drill them in? Has anyone actually built a drill for the job like a couple of people round this way have (see pic), we are seriously considering this idea due to increased acreage after cutting second wheat out of the rotation.

post-334-132638494433_thumb.jpg

yeah but once you got it ,there'd be less agrivation for you & a quicker turn-round than having to plough ?i used to broadcast them on then use dutch-harrows to level them in but instead of a crumbler roller behind we had a roller made from flat tyres to firm them in

yeah, think i need to get my set of thumbscrews out for the boss again, be easier to get a stone to bleed at times! Trying to put 170 acres in by yourself with one tractor gets frustrating, especially when the other one is there but the driver won't take his sprayer off it to help! >:(

Our soil causes wear and tear on anything it touches, so no a hard argument, takes a set of reversible points off the plough in under 50 acres! He's more keen on making a cultivator drill at the minute for them, i think the MF is the better idea! Now gonna beat myself over the head for using the words 'MF' and 'better' in the same sentence!! ::);)

Guest Fendt pwr

yeah, think i need to get my set of thumbscrews out for the boss again, be easier to get a stone to bleed at times! Trying to put 170 acres in by yourself with one tractor gets frustrating, especially when the other one is there but the driver won't take his sprayer off it to help! >:(

170 ac is not that much land for 1 guy to look after?is it the tillage that is taking all your time up?

We did the ploughing routine but one year put them straight into stubble with e demo drill. The John Dale Zero Till Drill. The idea is there, the seed tubes kept pulling off the back of the coulter in heavy clay though, then they'd bend back and block. Had this not been the case I reckon it would have been perfect. Not a bad drill at all.

170 ac is not that much land for 1 guy to look after?is it the tillage that is taking all your time up?

wish that was all i had to do, we have over 300 acres of beans in total, theres 2 of us messing about like this, sometimes involving 10 mile round trips to change implements over. I've still got 80tons of compound fertiliser to spread asap, 450acres of sugarbeet land to plough and 400acres of spring barley land to plough so i've got a lot left to do yet, the other chaps got similar areas to do hence the reason we think drilling might be better.

Jusst one thought why dont you transport all the seed and the spreader for the day or two on a low loader or something and then you can cut out the round trip as all the implements are all there now ??? ??? just an idea i dont have to do anything like that so cant really comment

Guest Fendt pwr

wish that was all i had to do, we have over 300 acres of beans in total, theres 2 of us messing about like this, sometimes involving 10 mile round trips to change implements over. I've still got 80tons of compound fertiliser to spread asap, 450acres of sugarbeet land to plough and 400acres of spring barley land to plough so i've got a lot left to do yet, the other chaps got similar areas to do hence the reason we think drilling might be

better.

Are ok I see,I know the feeling,I've been one of 2 workers on a place growing just under 5000ac of crop and carrying 480 beef cows,under staffed was a bit of an understatement at harvest time. :)