My MF 4245

Powerstarâ„¢

Nice little tractor, 40k, sort-drive loader, CD player, Air-Con, does most of the handling duties. I spend most of the summer loading bales with this, loading dung in winter, grabbing silage too, has a double bale spike fitted in summer so it's capable of carrying 3 rounds. Pushes up corn in the corn shed. We tried it on buckraking last year but the oil flow is slower than on the Ford, so the buckrake doesn't push off quick enough. But this tractors main summer job is mowing, with a NH drum mower. Only thing that lets it down is the gearing. Especially if your carting heavy loads and you need to shift down a whole range, by the time you have done it you have lost a lot of foward speed. :-\

Ours is the 5' 10" triple ram version. Really needs new tines though as the ones on now are worn, it leaves quite a crap cut as it tries to push the silage through the gap if you get what I mean :-\ :-\ Do suffer from a few leaking burst pipes occasionally, I put it down to the amounts of pressure they have to put up with. Try to get the connectors as tight as possible and I mean tight if that doesn't work sometimes a bit of plumbing tape sometimes works believe it or not and if that doesn't work your bet bet is to just buy a new hose ;) ;) :) :)

I drive a 4355 hauling silage and the range change is ridiculous. I try and race up alongside the harvester in H3 when the other trailer pulls out so he doesn't have to ride the clutch at full revs, but it is hit or miss whether I can get her into M4 before the harvester passes over the cab. I much prefer the Ford 6640, but it is usually under the mower.

Glad someone agrees with me on the range change, shame really as it's an overall nice tractor, just the gearing lets it down :-[

SPN try carting a 8 ton Norton up a hill in H1 and changing down to M2/3 and then pulling away with out everything shaking and complete loss of speed ::) Then it's down to L and start again. I agree the Ford is much better, I always drive the Ford, MF only in peak summer or in winter doing handler work.

NCC: Our Redrock Alligator is the 5FT double ram model.

Well this tractor isn't perfect due to that fact? :-\

MF Fan trust me this gearing is in a world of it's own? ::)

And NCC: I havn't knackered the threads, I'm not MCM you know? :D

You'd of thought by now, with all the models they have made over the years they would have engineered this gearing problem out.  Do you think it's just this model Powerstar.. or do you think all the 4200 range suffers from this traight  ???

Well this tractor isn't perfect due to that fact :-\

MF Fan trust me this gearing is in a world of it's own ::)

And NCC: I havn't knackered the threads, I'm not MCM you know :D

I know what you mean about the gears a bloke near me traded his 2 yr old 43 series for 64 just to get dynashift instead

Well this tractor isn't perfect due to that fact? :-\

MF Fan trust me this gearing is in a world of it's own? ::)

And NCC: I havn't knackered the threads, I'm not MCM you know? :D

Your just not strong enough to tighten a nut then :D :D :D :D

Bloody useless, you could break fresh air you could. Theres only 2 things that could possibly be wrong with it and you still can't work it out, even when I've told you. Theres no helping some folk :D :D :D