Information needed on the corgi ford 500 please

Rhysmassey135

Lovely little models in my opiuinon. Ford 5000 made by corgi, not that rare but i wouldnt say not at all rare. Few on ebay. Not worth much though about £5 for yours. With the ditcher or hedge cutter in good condtion they can get about £30 unboxed. Nice model though mate. All the hitch looks complete too, usally bent or somthing ;):)

Although I have a couple of Corgi's the MF165 with loader and a Dexta which I had painted partly red at one point in time ( heavens knows why) but I never really liked them scale wise since they were so much smaller than the 1/32 Britain's. Still nice to keep something that has been in the family for years though  ;) ;)

Several versions of this model were made by Corgi. Tractor on its own, gift set with an elevator/conveyor, tractor and side mounted ditcher (R.J. Flemming). There were 2 types of rear linkages, the long type arms for fitment of the 4 furrow plough (blue one) and short little side arms that aided the hitch to hold trailers in situ. This tractor was based on the Ford 5000 'Selectospeed' but catalogued as 'the Fordson Major 5000'.

the rarest one has a rear mounted Fleming ditcher, though these are seen more often than the last type of rear linkage (on the trctor by itself) that was stronger with shorter, less sharp projections.

Strange why they never did it the right colours, which would have made it even more appealing. The Fleming circular saw, mid-mounted hedger (as mentioned above) was only on the MF 165.

the rarest one has a rear mounted Fleming ditcher, though these are seen more often than the last type of rear linkage (on the trctor by itself) that was stronger with shorter, less sharp projections.

Strange why they never did it the right colours, which would have made it even more appealing. The Fleming circular saw, mid-mounted hedger (as mentioned above) was only on the MF 165.

we got 1 of them lying around somewhere  :-\ will get some pics on if i find it  ;)

Speaking of the MF165 with the cicular saw or 'shape-saw', this actually worked. It was 'driven' by a long spring that was connected to a small brass cog that meshed with 'teeth' that were part of the moulding of the rear tyre and on the other end, the saw was connected by a shaft that inserted into the spring. A very neat model for the time. Going back to the 5000 with mid-mounted side digger, I found the tractor at a car boot sale on a stall for £2 and at the other end of the table, same stall, there was the ditcher, for 50p so I bought both and reunited them. When you see the 5000 just on its own, look underneath and if it has a long 'rivet' in the middle, this is where the digger was attatched. The blue 4 furrow plough with chrome plastic furrows  is quite sought after as well, especially if boxed. This plough had 2 small spring steel clips each side in the front that eliminated the use for an active 'top-link.The other Corgi plough, red with yellow plastic furrows, was produced for the Fordson Power Major, the early pale salmon colour metal rear wheeled type that had a 'top-link' that resembled a zip fastener toggle.

Interesting Nigel, Is that what this version is.

I always thought that there was something missing from this ones linkage :-\

post-764-132638904802_thumb.jpg

Mr. Ford.

That's the hitch for the plough. The little right-angle spurs on the silver 'links' is where the spring steel clips locate and as I said previously, keeps a trailer on when the lift lever is down.