Umm, i should no, but i dont...............imbarrsing to ask

marshman

There is a few fields of maize near me, now they look to have been killed off, they are now light brown. What will they do with the maize, its no good as cattle feed is it? What do they havest it with combine or forager when it goes like that. I no what they havest normal maize with etc, just somone said it will be done with a combine?

I think but may be wrong adam that if it is dried off completly they cut it with a combine but for silage you want a certain percentage of moisture, about 15 years since I have seen or had anything to do with maize what with living in the frozen north.

Nothing wrong with it all Adam, it is a little riper than you have usually seen I guess. It will probably be cut in the next few days by a forage harvester  ;)

Arr thanks mate, i thought it would be odd to get the combine out again in the uk, i no the usa they do????? dont they. Cant wait till they do it now :) :) :) :) :)

There is a few fields of maize near me, now they look to have been killed off, they are now light brown. What will they do with the maize, its no good as cattle feed is it? What do they havest it with combine or forager when it goes like that. I no what they havest normal maize with etc, just somone said it will be done with a combine?

hi Adam see quite a few fields of maize this year like that it has ben killed of ........ but i thinks its the amount of rainfall that we've had this year ,the maize did'nt get enough sunshine either thus then the cobs have been fewer than what would normally have been expected. soon you will see a forager in there to harvest and the crop that will be ensiled in a clamp for feeding to livestock this winter ,ground conditions at the minute are probaly too wet to harvest it .

hi Adam see quite a few fields of maize this year like that it has ben killed of ........ but i thinks its the amount of rainfall that we've had this year ,the maize did'nt get enough sunshine either thus then the cobs have been fewer than what would normally have been expected. soon you will see a forager in there to harvest and the crop that will be ensiled in a clamp for feeding to livestock this winter ,ground conditions at the minute are probaly too wet to harvest it .

Thats not stopping some contractors FM  :D  :D

we,ve had a frost or two lately, that will turn it brown.Back in the 70s we regularly harvested forage maize in November as the varieties didn't mature so early then, plus autumns were colder (?) and it was nearly always brown by then.

If it is Cliftons then it's highly likely that it'll be combined though, as I know they were going to start doing combined maize from last year as a cereal break-crop.

After the "Hurricane " in '87 our forage maize was well brown (and flattened) as it had the additional salt scortch that was in the wind only being about 4 miles from the English channel. We had to harvest it one way only to pick it up (pictures,....one day!!) and that was in November I think.

The other thing is that with a dull year like this the cobs may not have matured enough to be good for silage yet ( and would create excess effluent) so the plant will tend to die-off as the cobs mature later than normal,though the "goodness"/feed value of the plant will shift from the leaf/stem to the cob as it matures.

is that cliftons adam i think they will combine it mate may be wrong i think goodmans at eastwell park grow some as well and they share the header for the combine

yes it is Cliftons mate, arrrr right, Martin was out there the otherday looking at it, just made me wonder what they are going to do with it.  Thanks everyone, will get some pics when its being cut, and tommrow when i go and take some  :D;):) :) thanks Graham

• 3 weeks later...

Well the started havesting yesterday, had about 150 arces i spose, did one field yesterday took a few pics but all came out to dark as it was getting late.

Anyway have been doing more today and i have been up there with them all day. Got some pics, sorry i no they are quite dark but as its been quite a overcast day here today.

In no real order.

IMG_0088.jpg

IMG_0089.jpg

Nh

IMG_0090.jpg

this is really rubbish getting really dark now

IMG_0091.jpg

IMG_0092.jpg