ARE DAVID BROWN 50 D's really worth this much????

BC

I saw in the latest edition of Tractor magazine Vic Mathers from Kintore Aberdeenshire had sold his unrestored David Brown 50D for £ 31,200 at Cheffins quite recently. I know they are a scare and or rare tractor but I was wondering what people opinions were on the price paid ???

I for one would not pay that much for it but again I'm not a David Brown collector so that would preclude me from even thinking of buying one.

Some photos from a couple of the Aberdeenshire shows the tractor in question attended during 2008

OLDMELDRUM2008015.jpg

CASTLEFRASER2008057.jpg

CASTLEFRASER2008058.jpg

It a pretty straight looking tractor and I think from memeory it was purchased by Vic from a dealer in Belgium and the tractor had spent its working life in France. I don't know what the new owners plans are i.e. whether to leave it original or to repaint it.

It's worth whatever someone is willing to pay for it, so it must have been worth £31,200 on the day! As it was sold at auction someone else valued it at £31,100 or there abouts  ;)

Seriously it does look in a very good state and is all the better for not being restored. I think a tractor like that should be preserved in it's working clothes, there are plenty of other 50D's that can be in restored condition. Some tractors are dearer than others and at the moment those of a certain marque or those with small production runs command a large premium over the high volume machines. In 1992 there was a very well restored MP6 sold for £10000 by 1994 I think an unrestored and fairly rough MP6 sold for £10 or £12000. Was the first cheap or the second dear or both correct at the time of auction?

Yes auctions can be funny things Eurodeere and at the end of the day its what one is willing to pay. Personally I would not have paid that for it but I'm sure Vic Mathers is a very happy man with that price. I agree a tractor like that would be best left as in in working clothes apart from a set of new front tyres ;D ;D ....but at the end of the day that choice has to be with the new owner

I really can't understand why the 50D makes so much as they are restricted in their use as they have no lift linkage, they were more a haulage, PTO and belt pulley work tractor. The majority produced were exported to South Africa but mainly to Australia, a few went to Europe and over the past few years many that have come to light over there have been impoted back to the U.K.

A few years ago, one was sold in a collection of D.B tractors dispersal sale for £28,500. Restored, or supposedly, a few years earlier, the paint-work was fair but the engine leaked a lot of oil, it smoked like hell and breathed heavily.

The 50D was produced between 1953 and 1959, 1,260 were built in total. 6 cylinder 50hp. 4 speed PTO. Price in 1957 was £967. 10 shillings. (50p).  The chap that designed the 50D later went to work for Nuffield. If you look at the back end of a Nuffield, from the belt pulley back, you will see a remarkable similarity.

Well if there were that many 50D's produced I don't understand why they make that sort of money.

hey Powerrabbit, someone buying a 50D today is unlikely to be worried about the lack of 3 point hitch as I would think it unlikely they would put it to work!

The number produced of these in total was very low in D.B tractor production terms as over 33,000 of some others like the white 880 were made over a 7 year period.

D.B tractors are better worked as mechanically they deteriorate faster with lack of use. Within reason, the harder you work them the longer they will last but you do have to service them regularly as per the instruction books, common sense really.

Forgot to mention that there were 1,667 50D crawler tractors produced as well in 3 variants, 'Trackmaster 50, 50TD, (Tracked Diesel) and the 50ITD (Industrial, painted yellow, these had an extra pair of track rollers).