little help needed

Tractorman810

guys wonder if any of you can help.been hunting down images of dowdswell ploughs for a future order, but for the life of me can't find what i am after, cant find any pics yet from my nans, so kind of stuck

it would have been early 80's when bought same time as the mf1250, was 4 furrow built plus one extra added reversable , had a solid metal wheel not tyre,which free dropped when you turned, didnt have any spring ect on it other than for depth ride  and was fully 3 point mounted  for the life of me cant remember the number, and sadly neither can my uncles ,who have been through some of their records for me  can any one help with at least a model number for those years, ,give me something to work from,

guys wonder if any of you can help.been hunting down images of dowdswell ploughs for a future order, but for the life of me can't find what i am after, cant find any pics yet from my nans, so kind of stuck

it would have been early 80's when bought same time as the mf1250, was 4 furrow built plus one extra added reversable , had a solid metal wheel not tyre,which free dropped when you turned, didnt have any spring ect on it other than for depth ride  and was fully 3 point mounted  for the life of me cant remember the number, and sadly neither can my uncles ,who have been through some of their records for me  can any one help with at least a model number for those years, ,give me something to work from,

dowdeswll dp 8 mate lighter version than the dp7, i think they may have had fabricated legs

Sean, if i had known this sat i could have got you all you need mate. The dairy farm i used to work on has one and i think it is in the hedge..... stell wheel, i will have a look and email some people....  ;) ;) If i find it you owe me a beer.

some pics on www.farmphoto.com just google dowdeswell dp 8 you will find it mate

dp8 lihter frame , not fabricated legs but same plate legs as heavier dp7 ploughs.

dp7  had combination depth wheel and transport wheel with stronger arm and tyred wheel for drawing plough down road butterfly position. you took the top link off they were heavy even with assistor rams and travel down the road semi mounted was more preferable to carrying them up in the air. the lighter dp 8 had less substantial flop over depth wheel mounting and babricated press steel wheel depth wheel only.

theres a DP8 leaflet on ebay Sean ;)

the beam clearance was not that great for the dp7 or standard dp8 ploughs and could choke easily. i believe they did a higher clearance version of dp8 but not the dp7 ploughs. both ploughs could have dowdeswell spring loaded re set legs  which made them very heavy.

the beam clearance was not that great for the dp7 or standard dp8 ploughs and could choke easily. i believe they did a higher clearance version of dp8 but not the dp7 ploughs. both ploughs could have dowdeswell spring loaded re set legs  which made them very heavy.

when i call them a heavy plough i am refering to the days when we would draw 3 furrow dp7 behind two wheel drive tractors such as db1212 hydrashift/ jd 2130/jd 2140 opu/ and for furrows behind ford 7600 bubble cab two wheel drive etc etc.the dp7 is still in the dowdeswell range the closest current dowdeswell to the old dp8 would be the current 100 series ploughs.

scaledown have for many years produced a wonderful dowdeswell dp1 plough, a fully mounted offset plough designed for on land ploughing only. many conversions have been done for use in furrow behind tractors which is technically wrong. but when that was the best model plough available for a great number of years myself included used them for model in furrow ploughs. dowdeswell did produce a dp2 for in furrow ploughing which could be used fully mounted or semi mounted depending on both plough and tractor size.  when using scaledown plough in furrow refer to it as a dp2, in real terms apart from headstock they looked pretty much the same.

well going from those links its deff one of them, they both look very much like it, don't remember the stand on the side i must confess, it sat ok on the barn floor with out that, dont even remember a bracket for one would say its more a dp8 than 7 to be honest looking at the pics, dont think it would hurt what ever i order

cheers for the help, at least now i can give him an idea what i want for a price