Demonstration Combines

Gav836

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I thought that it was a brilliant combine, it was running rings around our 460 which is the Claas equivelant except the 880 was a bit more powerful and a 30 foot cut. The 880 was much more comfortable to drive as well and also could cut spring barley 2kph quicker than the 460. I'd rather have it anyday  ;D

Thanks Gavin :). Glad to hear New Holland combines are up-to-scratch against the Claas rivalry...... :);)

not so fast there NH2 the comparison was between the 880 & his old 460 not the newer 580, but you may well be right ?;)

let's ask shall we ?

whats the 880 like up against the 580 ,gavin ?

not so fast there NH2 the comparison was between the 880 & his old 460 not the newer 580, but you may well be right ?;)

let's ask shall we ?

whats the 880 like up against the 580 ,gavin ?

Well the output was more on the 580 but the 880's cab was way ahead on comfort levels, the Claas cab is a bit outdated now, hasn't really altered much since our 1997 460. But it's not a fair comparison between the two combines because the 880 is a straw walker machine and the 580 is a rotary combine, really needs to be compared with a CR model which we should be trying in 2006  ;):) :)

one shaft is worn but the bearing was still good, haven't worked out how a good bearing can wear a new shaft that we fitted last year yet, but put another bearing on so it's running on 2 and it cut another 500 acres then no problems. 3 of the bearings were fitted due to a fitting fault on a new accelerator drum, no -ones fault, the fitter and myself didn't know a shaft could slip a bit in pinch bolts! ?>:( between 4 and 8 hrs everytime it went though, last time was a front wheel off job!! ?:(

I haven't tried the CR yet but the 580 was certainly a much better combine than the AFX, alot easier to drive, not so much to fiddle with really. The AFX you had to get out and dusty on to adjust straw flow, i'd pick the 580 over that anyday.

OOOOOOO.. sound nasty to me - I remember my combine fitter days - Nothing worse than the pressure to get you boys going again :)

Tell me about it, we nearly told the boss to f*** off as he was annoying us too much and the more he interfered the longer it took!!

I've always thought the 480/580 are amazing machines i know of alot that cover 2500acres + a year with no problems what kind of work rate did you get for the day or hours you ran it cause we get 100-150 depending on conditions

We cleared up 110 acres with the 2 combines in 6 hours, but that was on 3 fields. With the NH and 460 we managed 160 acres in 8 hours which was really impressive. Also keeps the trailer drivers busy! Would have probably been more in wheat but we had them on Spring barley. Our 460 is knocking down around 1700-1800 acres a year which is more than Claas rate it for, so it does well for a 1997 machine, and can usually do 60-70 acres a day occasionally more, depending on conditions.

Thats good going for the 460 a couple of local people say the CX 880 would get up to 85-90 acres a day, with the 405 we manage 30-40 acres a day which i dont think is bad for a combine with 15ft header and 170 hp ( i think if any one can tell me the proper hp please do) and we do 650-700 acres a season with it. I know people that get 3100+ acres done a year with a 580 which i think is good going as well

there's a contractor here who's gone from 3 480's down to 2 and now to 1 580 on about 4500 acres, everyone thinks they are nuts!! Our only critism of our 460 is it needs a bit more hp which it gott on the later evolution models. It sometimes struggles in the bomb craters (thers a WW2 airfield in the village, now disused) in some fields and with the hills about the estate.