Accord DG 12 Metre Drill

AndyB

Applogies - didn't realise this had posted - been trying photo bucket out so here goes.......

It looked the part.....

KvnernelandDG010-Copy.jpg

KvnernelandDG007.jpg

KvnernelandDG008.jpg

But bearing in mind we were trying to drill peas to 3 inches....

KvnernelandDG004.jpg

It got half way up the field, and I called a halt and sent it back to the yard!!  ::)

Out came the Vaderstad and away we went - proper drill!  Some autumn kit should stay in the autumn!

What was wrong with it, not deep enough?

Yes couldn't get the seed far enough into the ground - the coulters were just skipping along so they were hardly covered.....

That looks impersive Andy,was that paddock ploughed?

Yes it was ploughed and then cultivated with an 8m Vaderstad NZ Agressive spring tine - very impressive bit of kit!

nice bit of kit

why where you drilling peas at 3inch's over here we only sow peas at about half an inch or less aslong as there covered

For combining peas that would be ok.  The problem I have with vining peas is that we have to get the seed into or onto moisture.  The reason for this is that I need to know that they are going to start swelling within a couple of days or drilling, so that the sequential harvesting isn't screwed up.  At the moment even moisture levels are at about 3 inches.  About 3 weeks ago we were drilling at about 1-2 inches.  The other main reason is that the seed needs to be a certain depth as to avoid coming into contact with Pre-emergence herbicides too early - if you get a flop of rain (I wish at the time of typing) soon after drilling and pre - em application the herbicide can be washed down quite a way.

Hope this helps in a not too long winded fashion!!

Would you roll the paddock after drilling with the Accord Andy?

The rapid would over pack the soil on the headlands?

Any base fert spread ontop of the ploughing?

Seen any yield diffance with min-tillage over ploughing with the peas?Zero tillage sown vining peas planted into sprayed off ex grass seed paddocks have shown no yield loss here aslong as the ground is free draining.

Would you roll the paddock after drilling with the Accord Andy?

The rapid would over pack the soil on the headlands?

Any base fert spread ontop of the ploughing?

Seen any yield diffance with min-tillage over ploughing with the peas?Zero tillage sown vining peas planted into sprayed off ex grass seed paddocks have shown no yield loss here aslong as the ground is free draining.

The accord was only on demo and I wont be using it again!  We only roll if it is dry enough - to avoind more wheelings.  Also if it is very cloddy or stoney - because of the viners.  The very nature of crawlers and headlands means that they are compacted, you gain with lower compaction in-field.  We could spend all day debating this subject and i have several trials this year.......

The major difference with non-inversion techniques, that i see in peas, is that they mature a day earlier.

Base or P and K fert is generally put on either pre or post ploughing - i prefer pre because of the wheelings on the plough.  I don't do any direct drilling as the machinery available does not do the job i need it to.

Notill/direct drilling the peas would conserve more moisture and hence shallower planting. But would the ground conditions allow this? Depends on the previous crop and previous years harvest conditions.

There are several reasons why we don't direct drill one of them being Bean Seed Fly which loves the trash.  Spacing is another - direct drills tend to band seeds too much.  The soil types on average wouldn't allow it to be successful.

Nice to here that you like the kiwi kit mate ;)  Those vadis do a top job i heavy clay so i have been told, mate has one in his shed, i think he might have been the one that complained it wouldnt work in nz condtions.... ::) He gets what he wants, if he doesnt he makes it....

You seen a cross slot drill? kiwi made direct drill, i think they are in the top 5 direct drills in the world, it would make your chally work and its only 5m,

Interesting Andy,thanks.

Few more if you have time.... :D

Do farmers make baled silage from the vines if the vines are in good condtion once the viner has been.?

Do you like farmers to plant peas after spuds in England?(it's not allowed here,same with beans)

Some paddocks over here are sown in early spring drilled peas then vined early leaving time to plough the paddock again and sow a 2nd crop of vineing peas before the paddock is put into wheat in the late fall.Is that done in the UK? some here say it's playing with fire while other farmers and the processing company say it's fine as long as the land has'nt grown peas for a good 10 years.

• 4 weeks later...

Interesting topic this one

Does that demo drill not have springs to alter the pressure of the coulters on the ground? were they as tight as they'd go?

Yes mate each coulter has its own spring adjustment.  Problem is without rambling on too much, is that we couldn't get enough pressure on to the coulter.  It isn't a cultivator drill so the land has to be right before the drill goes in.  We are giving it one more chance on Saturday coming.  The idea will be to move the land right in front of the drill with an NZ Agressive to try and 'let' the drill into the ground.  If that doesn't work then it can go find a hedge to park in and talk to the animals - it might be better at that, than drilling m'peas!!  :D

Excellent topic, Andy and Ol. Really interesting discussion between the two of you. I've learn't a lot just by reading your posts. Thanks  for all the info, made great reading. :)

Glad you like it Tris  ;)  This kind of thing is close to my heart because I oversee the establishment of roughly 4300 acres of Vining Peas each year.  As the saying goes 'well sown is half grown'!  So we are always looking at new technology.  Hope fully next year we will have a prototype precision seeding drill with positive pressure on each coulter that can work at up to 15kph!!!  We will see.......if it works it will revolutionise the job  :o

It's more Andy than Ol Tris. :-[

Your right mind,vining peas are a very interesting crop.

Andy are you with birds eye?

Was interesting to read(FWJan09) about the potatoe apple problem being some what knocked on the head again with new a chemical(nirvana) after some chemicals useded in the past were taken away.

Here we use round up in the straw crops/sheep and long rotations to keep them at bay.Peas after grass is a good tool realy as the next crop out of grass seems to stay cleaner here.

Do you have agricultural college visits at all? Sounds to me like students could learn alot from you and your farm. The guy I planted spuds for in Denmark runs a Ploeger team in pea season. Seven machines, 24hrs a day. He says if a crop isn't ready the day it should according to it's planting date, they drive past to the next farm. Very tight window! Even his own farm was left with an animal feed crop as it wasn't fit, the machines don't come back. It's planned to the minute almost.

It's more Andy than Ol Tris. :-[

Your right mind,vining peas are a very interesting crop.

Andy are you with birds eye?

Was interesting to read(FWJan09) about the potatoe apple problem being some what knocked on the head again with new a chemical(nirvana) after some chemicals useded in the past were taken away.

Here we use round up in the straw crops/sheep and long rotations to keep them at bay.Peas after grass is a good tool realy as the next crop out of grass seems to stay cleaner here.

Yes LL I am a fieldsman with Birdseye -so its my job to plan and execute the drilling and thus harvesting programme.  So it is down to me to get the right quality of pea harvested at the right time.

The potato apple/berry problem is a difficult one.  We did the initial work with Nirvana about 3 years ago but proving consistant control is difficult.  What basically happens for sure is that you get a reduction in berry formation with some potato varieties and smaller berries with others.  As Nirvana is pre-emergence only you have to have a degree of moisture to get the most out of the berbicide - not always easy on lighter soil types.

Do you have agricultural college visits at all? Sounds to me like students could learn alot from you and your farm. The guy I planted spuds for in Denmark runs a Ploeger team in pea season. Seven machines, 24hrs a day. He says if a crop isn't ready the day it should according to it's planting date, they drive past to the next farm. Very tight window! Even his own farm was left with an animal feed crop as it wasn't fit, the machines don't come back. It's planned to the minute almost.

It's very difficult to do visits due to the fact that we don't always know where we will be and if we are harvesting........tricky one........

We too aim to run 24hrs a day (22hrs vining with 2 hrs sanitation)  But we only run PMC machines as they are far more gentle on the peas, we pick them a lot younger than most if not all other operations.

Sure if a crop is too young we wont harvest it until it's ready, but we would never leave one if it's too young and not come back.  If it's too old then we will leave it, and it will either go for animal feed or if it's a clean crop then maybe for seed.

The operation is planned to the minute as we operate a strict picked to frozen within 150 mins.  Some others do 'field to frozen' in the same time - there is a very big difference.

Hope I haven't babbled too much.......... ???

I take it the latter gives the farming company time to hold peas in the trailers at the field longer before sending them to the Processing plant and the former is 150mins from FMC header to Processing plant hopper?

Not babbling at all. Jimmy Docherty touched on this subject I think and it was fascinating, to hear/read it from someone within the industry is even better.

:)

I take it the latter gives the farming company time to hold peas in the trailers at the field longer before sending them to the Processing plant and the former is 150mins from FMC header to Processing plant hopper?

Not babbling at all. Jimmy Docherty touched on this subject I think and it was fascinating, to hear/read it from someone within the industry is even better.

:)

Well if you watched 'Jimmys' Farming Heroes' and saw the one on Arable crops inc. peas then that was me - the 'man from Birdseye' walking the crop, saying they are good to go etc. etc.!

Highly embarrassing all that was  :-[

Keep going andy, his is getting very intersting, im thinking of planting some peas at my new block for a cash crop this year.... there is a contractor down the road from me, has 3 fmc/pmc machines, Silver Fern farms...

Update on the trial we had with this drill again yesterday - PANTS!

To expand, there is a serious design flaw with the coulter which basically means it wont 'cut' into the ground.  The land was ploughed in the autumn then pressed, about 5 weeks ago, with a Vaderstad Rexius and then moved again with a Vaderstad NZ Agressive right in front of the drill and the flipping thing still wouldn't drill peas to 2 inches!!!  So in my humble opinion it is £65,000's worth of scrap metal!!!

Needless to say if I never see it again, that will be far too soon!!

I wonder if you could change the disc openers to sulfolk type culters instead to help it hoe in to the depth needed?

If I was to buy a drill/seeder I'd buy an Overum tive combi seeder. :)

The problem I have with the drilling of Vining Peas, is the need to get to moisture and a consistant depth.  A suffolk type coulter is fine - but doesn't maintain a consistant depth - the reason why we moved away from them several years ago.

In the last 3 or so years I have seen about half a dozen different 'new and improved' drills tried out on peas and we still use only two types, namely the Vaderstad Rapid and the Herrieau Precision drill.  In my humble you will not find a better 'all round' drill than the Vaderstad Rapid.  ;)