JCB - Rocester factory tour

Barry

Went to the JCB factory in Rocester yesterday for a look around, there were signs everywhere saying "no phtography" so i didn't take to many pictures :D

They make the Back Hoe loaders, Skidsteers and Loadalls there, might be other things made there, didnt listen to the tour guide to much as i was looking around at other things when he was talking about stuff (he wasn't a very good tour guide!!!!!)

Visitor entrance hall

P110509_0939.jpg

Cup of coffee first

P110509_0950.jpg

The JCB DieselMax car

P110509_0937.jpg

The pond out the front

P110509_1131.jpg

A 3CXin the front entrance

P110509_1128.jpg

Entering the factory

P110509_1045.jpg

Watched a guy fold an arm thingy on a press, there are two of these presses, £330,000 each  :o

Starts as a sheet that was cut out with a "laser" (austin powers style)

P110509_1106.jpg

Then lifted with a crane with 4 magnets on (i think), lifted onto the press, the press moves the metal into postiton and calculates where to bend the sheet

P110509_1105.jpg

Two presses and out it comes

P110509_110601.jpg

These were being welded by hand, there are computorised welders too

P110509_1108.jpg

This was for the military, the guide said they generally have top spec on all there orders (air con etc) and additional steel welded to the outer side of the panelling

P110509_1210.jpg

Well done with the pics mate. I went to Rocester with college about 8 years ago and it was really interesting. We met Mr acb ( jcbs son ) on our way out, we didnt know who he was untill our guide said he had just arrived by his own heliocopter..

This is the outside test area, each machine undergoes 140 test (i think) on a test sheet, after each test, the driver ticks a box and moves onto the next test, things like steering, hydrolic performance, suspension and lifting capacity, the one in the middle is holding up thered weight for 10 minutes with the engine off to test the oil pressure.  If it fails anything, it goes back to be checked over and sent out and tested from the star again.

P110509_1029.jpg

There is an on site doctor and dentist, and they bring in an optician regularly for the workers.

An on site ambulance is parked up outside the doctors office, numberplate X999 JCB  :o

The quality control is very impressive, a couple of bloke check almost everything that is bought into the factory.  If there is a box of 50 pipes, they will remove 6 random ones, test them, and if any are faulty, even if its one, the whole batch gets returned to the supplyer!!!

The other impessive sight was the offices, about 200 people on two floors all with there own cubicles, the marketing guy was playing with a Loadall picture on a computer screen to make a new magazine advert, surrounded with enough magazines to restock a medium sized WHSmith!!

If you get a chance to go, i do recommend it  :)

Well done with the pics mate. I went to Rocester with college about 8 years ago and it was really interesting. We met Mr acb ( jcbs son ) on our way out, we didnt know who he was untill our guide said he had just arrived by his own heliocopter..

Yeah, we saw his helicopter land, he was coming in to meet some French guys who want about 50 JCBs.....so the guide said anyway!!!

Walking around the factory, the guide was looking at the tags on the machines which tell you who the machine is for, there were 10 or 11 for France, 2 for China (even thought there is a factory in China!) Maldovia, Iceland and Georgia.

One thing i didnt realise was JCB make there own engines (old news to some of you!)

After Perkins was bought by Cat, they didint want to pay there competitors anything, so started making there own, nice!

Be nice if they could make a car engine so we could have a british made car again!

Yeah, we saw his helicopter land, he was coming in to meet some French guys who want about 50 JCBs.....so the guide said anyway!!!

Walking around the factory, the guide was looking at the tags on the machines which tell you who the machine is for, there were 10 or 11 for France, 2 for China (even thought there is a factory in China!) Maldovia, Iceland and Georgia.

i went a while back when they had a "family fun day"

they make something else in china the factory at the rocester hq like you said make backhoes, loadalls and compact loadalls  then the factory down the road makes the 360 excavators

Interesting pics Barry.. many thanks for sharing.. Did they have a shop as well ???

They do have a shop i nthe front entrance, lots of toys and a few models, not as much branded stuff than i thought they would have.

A good day out Barry  :)

I did that tour many year ago after I got the first JCB - I think things have changed a bit since then. We went out to their farm nearby to see the gear working in muck and cultivation as well.