Silage questions.

marshman

I dont not much about silage really, infact anything. Apart from the proccess of havesting it.

What i would like to no, is what is 1st and 2nd cut. Also it seams that it only takes a day or 2 to get in for most people? 

Dont really get much here on the marsh, i mean they do a bit at the farm next to us, but more maize and get contractors.

Im find mazie much more intresting as the seams to take longer to havest, i always miss the few fields they have to  grass silage here.

Any info would be great,  even whats the advantages over maize etc.

1st cut etc is merely which cut of the current year it is. 1st cut is the first time the grass has been cut in the year, usually up to 3rd cut with some people making 4 or 5 if they are lucky. Advantage is that for big acreage, the speed and timliness of the operation. The grass should be mown with a day or maybe two of drying/wilting before the forager comes in. Nowadays with weather sometimes ore unpredictable a day can be plenty of time.

No advantage over maize as it is a different crop and most farmers will grow some of each, even if it's clamped maize and bales for the grass.

Maize is silage i.e. Grass silage & Maize silage

Silage refers to the fact that the feed is preserved due to fermentation in an airtight container, i.e. clamp, wrapped bale, tower silo

Maize is cultivated annually, so there is the cost of that and possible soil erosion issues to factor in (i.e. I wouldn't say it is better for the soil than grass), where as grass can be either permanent pasture or leys where the cost of establishing the grass is spread across a no. of years.  Grass silage is also a way of utilising surplus grass from grazing pastures in order to maintain pasture quality.

Maize can have advantages in producing a more consistent silage quality than grass though and helps as part of a TMR, in terms of intake and adding starch to the diet.

We used to do a bit of vacuum silage years back but it was rather expensive for the heavier gauge poly sheeting, sealing strips and the rest of the equipment but if done right and you kept the air out there was no waste at all like you tend to get with clamp silage which compensated the expense in the long term. We shared the PTO driven vacuum pump with two other farmer relations.

maize makes better feed than silage, also silage uses more potash than maize so in some ways if you can its better to grow maize than silage, as maize is not so hard on the ground :-\

Not every area is suitable for maize

Cannot grow it up this way. yet as varieties change we may see it grown up here. Most dairy farmers up here grow wholecrop.

Most farmers in aberdeenshire go for one large cut of grass in end june/ july rather than 2 cuts due to the unpredictable weather.

just read both threads, really good reading.

At the risk of throwing a spanner in the works, two questions.

1. Could you succesfully feed an orgainic beef unit on haylege,or would you need a concentrate with it I would guess Herford/Angus breeds would be better than other European breeds ????

2. Organic units tend to use clover to fix nitrogen in the soil, whats the best way to preserve this, ie clamp, bale silage or haylege ????

Not every area is suitable for maize

Cannot grow it up this way. yet as varieties change we may see it grown up here. Most dairy farmers up here grow wholecrop.

Most farmers in aberdeenshire go for one large cut of grass in end june/ july rather than 2 cuts due to the unpredictable weather.

sorry rob and murry but i beg to differ, a few years back a large dairy farm had a go of growing maize silage somewhere near elgin as there was a bit in the paper about it being the most northerly crop of maize in the uk, if i remember rightly i think it was a success due to morayshire having a slightly warmer climate than most other parts of northern scotland, i also remember them having a bit of hassel trying to get a maize header for their chopper as they couldn't hire one from anywhere near hear and it had to be sourced from somewhere south. This particular farmer is now out of the dairy business so i dont think he grows it anymore. while im on this post can anyone tell me what do you do with any silage that is still in the pit once all the cattle are back outside, do you keep it until you start feeding again at the end of the year? does it keep? do you just start building up your fresh silage on the face of the existing stuff that is left in the pit

sorry rob and murry but i beg to differ, a few years back a large dairy farm had a go of growing maize silage somewhere near elgin as there was a bit in the paper about it being the most northerly crop of maize in the uk, if i remember rightly i think it was a success due to morayshire having a slightly warmer climate than most other parts of northern scotland, i also remember them having a bit of hassel trying to get a maize header for their chopper as they couldn't hire one from anywhere near hear and it had to be sourced from somewhere south. This particular farmer is now out of the dairy business so i dont think he grows it anymore. while im on this post can anyone tell me what do you do with any silage that is still in the pit once all the cattle are back outside, do you keep it until you start feeding again at the end of the year? does it keep? do you just start building up your fresh silage on the face of the existing stuff that is left in the pit

well we cant grow maize up here far to cold for it to grow lad  ;), and about your silage we just fire the new cut stuff into the face of the old stuff it keeps alright but dont haul it down and buckrake over the top of it as it heats quick and goes of so leave it as it is and you'll be grand ;)