calfing question.

FB

You have a dairy heard, and some are in calf.

What happens to the males once born?

are they any use else where, like selling etc.?

only ask as a friend was telling me what happened on her friends (who i dont know :D :D) farm when she was asked if she wanted to see the calves, they keep the females but end up getting rid of the males.....

Some get shot if the price for them is so bad, Ben. Not a nice thought but I guess business is business and that can be a harsh climate.

The man I work for with the chickens has been in with a farming compnay for some years now who buy the cattle and pay him to rear them towards a garunteed price at the end of the period. Usually up to one year from 8wks old or there abouts. The scheme started for him with Belgian Blue/Freisian bull calves which were a lot of fun but pretty playful. . . towards the end of the period and approaching 600kgs that's a bit too much to be able to play back with!

Nowadays he has gone to Aberdeen Angus heiffers as they are a lot easier to rear in comparison and don't eat as much!

well all depends on some farms they sell as dropped calf's to others who would rear them for beef either as bulls or steers, then some farms also use a beef bull on some of the cows when they think the Holstein bull has covered enough cows, these hol cross bull calf's are reared for beef as well either as bulls or steers, and the heifer Holstein cross calf's are either reared for beef or they make a good beef cow when put to a Continental bull like a limousine or Charolais

Over here you pick the freisons get sold at the sales, same with herroford calves, Jersy bulls go tp the Bobby lorry ( 4 day old meat,) vealers,

we normaly keep 3-4 fresion bulls for breeding, and 2 jersy bulls for breeding also( tail end of AI mating) and we some how end up with 12ish heroford bulls/steers  witch i hate..

I am taking on 20 jersy bulls this year, buy them as 4 day olds then taken them up to 18mths to sell as breeding bulls,

Some get shot if the price for them is so bad, Ben. Not a nice thought but I guess business is business and that can be a harsh climate.

same here Tris, the friend of Julies was shocked when she was told that, kinda made sense to me to be honest :-\