help needed type of glue

them3kid

Question

10 answers to this question

you could use normal revel / humbrol model glue, polystryen i think its called, or you can get non fog superglue, just make sure you buy the more epensive stuff, as the one i bought still fogged slighlty,not as much as normal superglue did mind,they use it for glueing canopys on model aircraft ect

you could use normal revel / humbrol model glue, polystryen i think its called, or you can get non fog superglue, just make sure you buy the more epensive stuff, as the one i bought still fogged slighlty,not as much as normal superglue did mind,they use it for glueing canopys on model aircraft ect

thanks Tractorman810.  i will give it a go and see. ;D

If you're going to use a non 'superglue', get yourself some very fine brass wire and make little dowels between the cab and the mirror. Use a pin vice and drill a matching hole up the mirror arm and also into the cab and superglue the rod into the mirror arm. When you glue the mirror arm to the cab [with the brass pin into the hole in the cab] it will give a nice mechanical fix between the two which will hold everything in place better while it cures and also make it stronger once dried.... :)

If you're going to use a non 'superglue', get yourself some very fine brass wire and make little dowels between the cab and the mirror. Use a pin vice and drill a matching hole up the mirror arm and also into the cab and superglue the rod into the mirror arm. When you glue the mirror arm to the cab [with the brass pin into the hole in the cab] it will give a nice mechanical fix between the two which will hold everything in place better while it cures and also make it stronger once dried.... :)

that might be a bit beyond my ability simon. :-[  but thanks anyway, its worth thinking about. ;D

Honest mate, piece of cake! I fine paperclip would do the same thing.... so long as you have a drill bit the same size it's simple..... hold on.... I'll see if I can find a photo ;)

Honest mate, piece of cake! I fine paperclip would do the same thing.... so long as you have a drill bit the same size it's simple..... hold on.... I'll see if I can find a photo ;)

that would be helpful ;D

basicly all simon means is drill a hole into the cab the same size as the wire you are using for the mirror arms, that way you get maximum glue bondage over a bigger area not just the end of the brass/ metal rod your using, if using say uh deutx tvt mirrors, do the same ,drill a hole into the mirror and cab and fit a small bit as a extra brace ,saves them falling off

Here you are... not exactly the same application but same process... the pins you see were to hold the black fender extensions onto the floor pan... It was fiddly getting holes into the styrene sheet extensions I can tell you :o Worked well though... don't think I could have held the extensions on without the pins :-\

post-1414-132639099803_thumb.jpg