I J Webber Silage 2009 updated

alpinefocus

There's 3 carting, 2 Fendt 820's and 1 930/6  :)

there was 3 on that day, only just keeping up.  the chopper was pushing on a bit, new about 2 weeks ago.

nice pictures dan, excuse me for being stupid but is there only 2 carting i can quite tell  :-[, another thing i hate people that fill from that side of the chopper :-\ :D

EDITED TO REMOVE OFFENSIVE COMMENTS

the guy that drives the forager perfers it that way as all the controls are the right side

Chopper man is the King, he's running the most expensive machine in the team, everyone else has to keep up and fit around the king's wishes. Filling to his right is far easier for the chopper driver, as has been said the controls are that side and in most situations we turn to the right to check machines etc. Chopper man is not just checking chute and tractor + trailer alongside, he is also watching the pickup and instruments and trying to maximise throughput to try and pay for the machine. Trailer boy only has to keep up, try and keep the right distance from the chopper, that he can do looking to the left. For these reasons I say trailers always to the right of the chopper.

I'm with you but try loading on the left, it's a pain in the ringer aswell as the neck for trailer drivers ;):D In a tractor you automatically sit to the right for controls. So you don't turn your head 180deg this way either when watching the trailer. Driving a forager you sit square so looking one side or the other can be just as easy, easier to the right purely because of the controls but only by a whisker. The King is actually the man in the pit ;) His pace determines the rest of the gang.

I agree it is a pain in the ar*e for the trailer boy but I still say for the chopper man right is easier. The poor b*gger on the pit is not the king and he SHOULD NOT determine the speed of things, his job is to get the grass out the way and rolled well before the next trailer arrives. He has the most important job in determining the quality of silage but he should have the equipment and the ability to keep up. Mower man should also be able to keep a set acreage in front of the chopper and he must be able to cut the fields to maximise chopper output and safety. This is also true of the rake man if used. And yes I've done all the operations and had the wrath of the chopper man for cutting 90° to the way he wanted. Genuine mistake, I thought I'd cut it like that to help him and he said it was wrong  :-\

if the trailer men did their job right then the chopper driver wouldn't have to do much with the loading of the trailer anyway ! but then trailers are a bit bigger now .

as for 'the pit mans job is to get the grass out of the way & rolled well before the next trailer arrives' ?

no thats not right , the pit man job is to clear the grass & roll the pit well , the next trailer can wait , this i know i've also had run in's with the chopper driver over it .

you can't roll the pit well if trailers are coming in too quickly, & just getting it away isn't good enough, many contractors loose the contract for bad silage being made ,contractors have to remember the farmer has to make money too & if the silage is bad then the milk yeild goes down , & concentrates & blends have to be bought in to keep it up & all this means is that the milk cheque doesn't look as good as it should !

forager drivers go fast as  to get onto the next job to earn the money to pay for the forager & maybe get a few extra acres in .

if the crew does it's job well there should be no kings or fools all should work as well as the next man.

the farmer is king they're the people who could make or break a contractor , get it wrong & everyone will soon know about it & once that happens , it's hard to pay for a forager on HP with no customers

MJB1

I totally agree with everything you say, the aim is to produce quality feed. Re the pit, I did say the buckrake man has to due a good job and roll well. I was just trying to emphasis that the costliest machine in the chain to buy and operate is the chopper and everyone should be geared to the chopper output. If the pitman can't keep up then he should have a bigger machine, if the trailers can't keep up then more or bigger trailers should be added. The other option in this case is a smaller chopper. It's all about tuning the system to the situation. Yes the farmer has to make money, but so does the contractor.

The most important person when it comes to silaging, is the farmers wife when she brings out hot pastys and a cuppa  ;D

Best part of the day!

There is no king in silage making. The rake cant rake without the mower. The forager can't pick up efficiently without a rake or trailers. The trailers can't be filled up without the forager. The silage can't be consolidated without the clamp man. Silage is only successful if the whole team work together and everyone in the team has to have consideration for the other people working on the job. A tractor and trailer cannot turn as tightly as a forager and the rake cannot have every row perfectly straight and trailer drivers should never dump before the last load is up and rolled. If you can get to the clamp that quick they will manage without you in the field for a extra 5 minutes.

But nowadays foragers has amazing outputs so a contractor that really worries about quality will run a second tractor on the clamp to roll.

Chopper man is the King, he's running the most expensive machine in the team, everyone else has to keep up and fit around the king's wishes. Filling to his right is far easier for the chopper driver, as has been said the controls are that side and in most situations we turn to the right to check machines etc. Chopper man is not just checking chute and tractor + trailer alongside, he is also watching the pickup and instruments and trying to maximise throughput to try and pay for the machine. Trailer boy only has to keep up, try and keep the right distance from the chopper, that he can do looking to the left. For these reasons I say trailers always to the right of the chopper.

what does it matter if the controls are on the right  ???, sure if your good on a chopper and your loading from the left you never need to look at the controls, i was on the 890 last year and i got in the way of her with in 5 mins