TATTIE PLANTING AT BALVACK NEAR MONYMUSK ABERDEENSHIRE 3rd JUNE 2009

BC

I was out and about this afternoon and was surprised to see potatoes still being planted in June. I always try and ask if its alright to photograph when I don't know the people and I had a chat with one of the brothers. They farm around 2,000 acres near Alford of which they have 200 acres of seed potatoes and the reason they have been so late this year was the ground was too wet. It certainly looked in good condition today and that was them finished.

Their entire tractor fleet consists of John Deeres and prior to that it was New Hollands. Their father had in the past ran Leylands and prior to that Nuffields.

First up the planting tractor

030609001.jpg

030609002.jpg

Loading the seed tatties

030609004.jpg

Now a big looking "grubber"

030609005.jpg

Now  I also spotted this sprayer which came out of the field of old seed rape

030609006.jpg

Back to the tatties and the fertilizer being loaded

030609008.jpg

Followed by the dump truck used to cart away the large stones which were destoned

030609007.jpg

030609009.jpg

And finally the destoner and the sprayer. The spray that was being able for for scab prevention

030609010.jpg

030609011.jpg

SEE on the one on the trailer has had the american style indicators fitted take it they have gps for it as well  as it has the bracket. ye you know me. about another 10 weeks and i will get behind the wheel of our 6830 for a bit of summer work.

Yes when I was talking to one of the brothers he said they had GPS on one tractor only because it was quite expensive. They only use it for drilling i.e setting up the tattie drills. In addition he said his father was not convinced that GPS would be better than a "good man" on the tractor. He has been convinced now that GPS is just as good and if not better ;)

I always try and ask if its alright to photograph when I don't know the people and I had a chat with one of the brothers.

I know what you mean, Bill.  Quite often a friendly smile and a thumbs up are enough for the operator to stop open the door and start a conversation.  Very rarely have I got the 'p*ss off' expression and never have I been told that!  After all, it's nice when someone takes an interest in your work, is it not?

A good set of photographs, incidentally!

It does not cost anything to be nice James does it. Only once did I get a gesture telling me where to go from a tractor driver. I didn't actually see or lip read what he did since I was photographing him in his tractor coming slowly up a hill with a load of bales. We were waiting for the police to close the road for my friend to recover an Eddie Stobbart lorry which had gone off the road andin to a ditch. The other onlookers and the recovery team told me that the tractor driver was none too happy about me taking photographs. Everynow and again you come across odd folk ;) ;)