Are Britains Cattle Shrinking?

Can the scale on these cattle be correct?

I have two Charolais that are from my childhood, so a few years old! :D These appear to be a lot bigger in size than the Fresian and Hereford I bought for mini BGU recently.

The pictures don't really show the difference, so sad muppet that I am I have measured them!!

The Charolais Bull stands approximately 47mm at the shoulder, the Hereford 38mm and the Fresian 40mm.

The Charolais is 90mm long and the Hereford 74mm, Fresian 75mm.

The Charolais Cow is even bigger than both the other bulls!! 43mm high and 80mm long.

I always thought the Hereford bulls were the biggest in real life?

Where the original ones the right scale or are the modern ones more realistic.

Does anyone care? Have I gone mad to start the New Year? :D :D

Don't know about the recent stuff but certainly the 1970's friesians etc. were thinner than the 60s, I guess they just refaced the moulds as they were worn, they're sure not as nice as the early plastic stuff.

On a similar theme I wondered why they spent so much on making new stances for the zoo animals at that time? The early ones were more detailed in many instances. It was the era of Mk ll things ,...perhaps the animals had a vote & threatened to strike if they weren't given a facelift! ;):(:-\

you should feed them more bgu

seriously though i saw some herefords the other day in these new box sets,and they do look a bit smaller than the one si have from a kid,and not as well painted either,a local shop down here has animals by another company that look far more in keeping size wise,if i get a chance i wil by a few and post some pic of them,not sure who makes them though

• 2 months later...