Universal hobbies massey ferguson 50th Aniversary repaint

stevy123

Question

Hi All,

I am new to this website and new to doing model conversions, ive carried out a few 1/24th scale model lorries but not any tractors as yet.

I was at my local model fair and spotted the white massey ferguson 50th Aniversary edition but was very £££££

Was wondering could anyone tell me how i go about taking apart a universal hobbies massey ferguson 5480 to do the respray? Never done this before so any tips greatly appricated, also anyone know were i can get the decals of the 50th aniversary tractor?

Thanks in advance for any help

steve

8 answers to this question

Well Steve, I guess you could do one ok and the decals could easily be done BUT there may be them that would consider that making a 'copy' of this model would be unethical considering all the hassle and comment that the 'real' 50th model caused and there have also been a few 'fakes' offered on auction sites. I see no problem in doing one for your own personal collection as the prices being asked for the proper one is rather prohibitive but there is nothing like the real mc'coy. I guess, at the end of the day, the decision is yours to make.

Hi, Thanks for your reply,

Yes i understand that there is no replacement for the real thing, but a copy for my own collection would look good and take pride of place in one of my cabinets, ha ha!.

Can anyone give me some advice on how to dismantle a universal hobbies massey ferguson tractor to do a repaint?

Also does anyone have any pictures of the white massey 50th aniversary edition? Cant find any on google.

thanks

Steve

All from memory, cab just comes off from undoing the two scews under each door,cut or slide out steering rod, turn model upside down, gently prise up the plastic strip that runs down the middle of chassis to reveal the screw thats screwed in to the seat to hold floorpan on, then gently prise up the bonnet and thats it.

If you want to fix the steering problem you just unscrew rear linkage then unscrew the chassis and and it falls in to two and you need to cut or grind a bit off the front axle,then that stops  the rear wheels tipping when you turn the steering.

Hope thats helped a bit Stevy  :)