Has it all been necessary????

Rick

One of the odd things learned from being in a different country is why OEM made tractors suited for each country...Now I know some basic reasons, size of acres and difference in environments etc ....But it seems they could of made a lot more effort to have similar tractors which would of kept down the manufacturing prices, parts cost etc etc......Now we are seeing some of the big tractors that are very global like the big new Massey which is not much diff then the big deeres and caseIH we have here.....but a lot of little dairy farmers could of used the small Massey yard tractors but we got all different numbers and diff specs...but similar horsepower and options....just an interesting contrast you would not notice unless you seen both side of the pond....or at least study it...

By god Rick.... Lucidity hasn't crept up from behind and startled you while I've been away has it now....  ???  ::)  ;)  ;D

I a bit of a slow learner but actually never realized the difference because I only collect what was sold over here not until I join FTF did I realize there was so much difference.... :-\ :-\ :-\ :-\    I am waiting for Lord Big Nose to explain it all to me.. :laugh: :laugh:    by the way > :blank: = you just been mooned for dissing me ;D ;D ;D ;D

Its weird

I was in a 7930 the other day, the inside of the cab in my view is so outdated and drab compared to the european built deeres, i was told its because they're built in america, but i wonder why then don't they have another cab that could be fitted for europe??

Specific laws from each country mean specifications can be different between countries. Good example are the introduction of safety cabs, firstly in Scandinavia then the UK. Scandinavian tractors had to have a roof hatch so the driver could escape if the ice broke while driving across a lake. UK had Fieco cabs on Ford tractors from 1970 to 1976 then Q-cabs but US,Ireland etc had no cab or a basic cab from a third party. Some countries required a tractor to have two doors hence Deere built a two door SG2 cab. Lighting regulations can mean some countries required headlights are on the side of the bonnet not in the front grill. US requires waring/hazard lights in the cab roof but thats a big no no in the UK hence big Deeres had the roof hazards blocked off and flasers on the bonnet side. Bar axles are standard fixture stateside but people never liked them on this side of the pond as they are too wide and hit things! The Deere personal posture seat was the ideal size for North American drivers, most Europeans found the seat rather wide ;) Local buyers can have preferences as stated and a reason for the Deere cab stated being drab or for example every update in the US by Deere resulted in a new model number but in Europe we kept the same number. In general Japanese tractors are designed for the local drivers, females that are generally shorter than their European counterparts. Some countries had specific rules on local content like South Africa, where perkins based engines were built, resulting in Deere and County fitting these engines to sell there. Spain and South America had very different machines. Local uses and implements influence the tractor design, we use lots of 3 point implements and front mounted but the US tow almost everything. This produced many problems for big tractors in the 1970's that were designed for the US but sold in Europe and manufacturers realised they must adapt or design new machines for us.

Globalisation has mean't less variation due to local laws but the manufacturers are selling machines with differences to stop sourcing of machines in other countries. The mighty Deere do not want tractors originally sold in Europe to be exported to the US, for example a 4240S can be purchased cheaper than a 4240 in the States but try and get parts in the US afterwards, neither Deere nor their dealers want to know. We could import a Deere from India as a good basic tractor but backup would be zero. There is a market for basic tractors in the UK but the profit for the big manufacturers is small, look at MF with the 400 series, good basic tractor selling into a specific market segment and no longer available to us. I bet if someone was to have bought one and wrapped it up in a garage for 20 years it would be worth a fortune. Now people are left with the choice of cheap chinese tractors with no backup or expensive state of the art tractors.

Tractors used to be built to a world spec many years ago ,IH's 74 series models were described as a "world tractor" , MF's 100 series tractors were also pretty much universal. It was changes in regulations concerning ROPS and Q-cabs and the like in different countries that led to the many widely differing specs for various markets. I don't think it would even today ,be that difficult to build a tractor to a "world spec", the same machine could have a cab or platform depending on the market, but I think the biggest problem would be the widespread use of electronics on modern tractors, We Europeans and probably those in the US now expect these high tech additions, but probably a total liability in the developing world.