STEELYARDS - How old would this one be

BC

Today I was at the builders merchants at Inverurie for shed supplies and also some loft flooring boards for my father. When leaving them at Kemnay I saw my dad had collected a old steelyard that my uncle had stored at a friend of my dad's. It had woodworm in it so now treated we decided to take it and leave it at my uncles shed at his new sheltered cottage at Kintore.

17122009001.jpg

17122009002.jpg

17122009003.jpg

17122009004.jpg

17122009005.jpg

I have no idea how old this weighing machine is. Has anyone any idea ??? ???

It's an early 20th Century platform balance weighing scale. Mostly used for weighing sacks of potatoes and grain. You put the full sack on the larger wooden platform and your weights, 14lb, 28 and 56's or multiples of on the other side and when the two top boards are level with each other the amount in the sack will be the same weight as what you have in weights on the other side.

I have had all the 56 ers and the other weight for years. They have a multitude of uses now the steelyard is not used examples are holding down warped wood, weighing down wood until glue adheres and off course hanging on the the trailing plough to make entry into the ground quicker and easier.

There must've been thousands of those made and no matter the manufacturer, the design is almost identical.

We have two sets here and still use one for sheep feed. They're still very accurate, under a pound.

If memory serves me right, they were each under a grain outlet from the steam powered fixed thresher in the 'corn barn', so I would imagine about the same age - 1891.