How To Drive A Fergie......A Tutorial......

NewHolland2

Right well - Here's what all you Fergie fans have been waiting for......my wee teaching guide on how to drive a Fergie. There's a wee note to make first:-

The pics were taken after taking the Fergie out for a spin today. Unfortunately they were taken in the dark as Dad was away with the camera while I was out on the Fergie. However I hope they illustrate my points.

Right first off:-

First step is to fit the battery to the tractor - it fits on a small platform next to the air cleaner (the platform is shown below).

Attach the two terminals to the battery this then allows all electrical devices to have the required operating current. [Perhaps some Fergie owners keep the battery attached at all times but I keep it in the house for safe keeping...... :) :)]

Next thing to do is to turn the fuel tap (shown below) - which is located on the underside of the petrol tank - to the left. This allows fuel to flow in the system which allows starting to take place...... :) :) :)

As this is a petrol/TVO model the fuel tap allows the switching over of fuel from petrol to TVO. The tractor is started on Petrol and then ran on TVO once the engine has warmed up......

Next - turn the key in in the ignition switch (located on the left hand side and slightly underneath the Dash-Board) to the right. A small red light should then appear on the Dash. This tells the driver all systems are go and it is ready to start......

The Red Light is just visible to the right of the dash in this? pic......

Once the fuel is on and the red light on you're ready to start the Fergie up:-

The Gear Stick has a small cover on it, lift this up and then engage the gear-stick with the piece of metal which acts as the Selector for the Starter. (The selector is the bit of metal which sticks out in this pic).

Then you will hear the engine turning over. Engage the Choke and hey presto your Fergie will splutter into life...... :) :) :)

Now you're ready to drive. Put you're foot on the left-hand pedal (from the driver's seat) - this is the Fergie's clutch. Select the gear you wish and off you go......If you decide to engage 4th gear make sure the revs are hight before releasing the clutch as if it takes off in 4th with low revs it will stall......

Brilliant Martin... just brilliant mate - I would have been no good at nicking regan - I would have forgotton to turn the fuel on? :D - Can't wait for tomorrows additions - keep em coming mate and thanks for all the effort? ;)

Cheers Mark. I'm at school just now but will get a bit more done tonight...... ;) ;)

Great work there nh2 my fergie dont have a key me's doubt never seen one

Thanks MF Fan...... ;)

got something to share with the rest of the class ,have you boy ? sitting there laughing at the computer ? want to share the joke do you ? :D :D :D :D :D

look forward to the next episode? :)

"You wouldn't understand it's a tractor thing...... :D;) ;)"

I'll see if I can get some more pics to go with the next part to...... :) :) :)

Now you're ready to drive. Put you're foot on the left-hand pedal (from the driver's seat) - this is the Fergie's clutch. Select the gear you wish and off you go......If you decide to engage 4th gear make sure the revs are hight before releasing the clutch as if it takes off in 4th with low revs it will stall......

Right now your off, down the road. The gear-stick is arranged in the order

1 3 S

2 4 R

S standing for the position to enter the gear-stick to allow starting.

To change gear the clutch must be engaged however the Instruction Manual advises that the tractor should be stopped using the brakes before changing gear. However it is possible to change gear on the move. The gear stick on my particular model can be a bit stiff but usually it is easy to change from gear to gear.

The Fergie has three brake pedals which can be used:- The Main Brake Pedal which engages both rear brakes (located at the driver's right foot) and two independant brake pedals (one for either back wheel) located just to the side of the driver and slightly further back. The Independant Brake Pedals can, in some cases spin the tractor around when applied, so care is needed when applying them.

Pics will be posted of these pedals etc when I get a chance...... :) :) :)

Well, you've been for your drive now and want to park the Fergie up in it's parking spot. Depending on how you prefer there are two choices to stop the Fergie. One is of course to use the brakes, but also by putting your foot on the clutch this can also stop the Fergie from moving. Once you have stopped the Fergie moving, take it out of gear by depressing the clutch and putting the gear-stick in the Neutral Position. Once this is done you can lift your foot off the Clutch.

Next thing is switching her off. The best way to do this is to run the engine drive of fuel. This means there is no fuel left in pipes etc to harm them when the machine is not in use. To run the engine dry, turn the fuel tap to the central position as shown below.

Once the tap is turned the engine will run for around a minute on the fuel which is still left in the pipes etc and will then splutter to halt. Once the engine has stopped the red light will re-appear on the dash-board telling you it is ready to start agin if you want, however, this is solved by turning the key to the left (when sitting in the seat). The tractor cannot be started now.

Next thing is optional, to disconnect the battery remove both connections from the battery terminal and lift the battery from its tray.

Now all that remains to be done is to leave the engine to cool and iun my case then wrap it up again with its protective fertiliser bags and wooden boards.

Hope you enjoyed my little guide. Any questions and I will be glad to answer...... :) :) :)

Pics to be added to a couple of the previous posts soon...... :) :) ;)

Yeah... thanks for some Great work Martin... Well written and highly informative as well.? Great pictures too.

You should run a junior driving school teaching first time drivers how to do it - you could even charge? ;)

Thanks Mark......That would be a good idea about the driving school, make some dosh for the 3600? ;) ;)? ;).

I'll PM you when I update the other posts with pics...... :) :) :)