3D Model Prototyping

BRITAINSMAD

Question

Hi folks

I have been on here for a couple of months now taking a look around at the various modifications and scratch built models you have been creating. 

I am a product designer working in Northern Ireland and in our offices we have access to a couple of 3D printers or rapid prototypers.  This got me thinking - if anyone has a CAD file of a tractor or implement they would like created there is a possibility that I could print this off for you.  If you are interested, just PM me and I can give you a price or an idea of what has to be done in order to do this.

One of the machines we have create 3D models in colour, the other in clear plastic.  The colour, powder based machine would be best suited to display models, however the plastic models could be used for carpet farming if needs be as they are quite robust.

I have created models for clients in the past and was very impressed by how they came out so if you are interested, just let me know!

oh this sounds interesting i have heard that these machines will print .3ds files. i am pretty skilled in just 3d modelling and i can produce full models on the computer and stuff. here is some pictures of what i have done on a basic programe

a kane silage trailer

k4.png

i would try this possibly for small parts like wheels and drawbars might even be a good thing for cab interiors

The format I need files to be saved in so I can send them directly to print is .STL 

The trailer you have shown there would be unsuitable for the powder based 3D printer as the mesh would be too fragile and the walls to thin to support their own weight.  I also have a plastic printer which would be best suited for this job however it usually costs about 4 times as much.  im guesstimating that a trailer of this size would cost approx £125 for a prototype in the powder however, as this would be unsuitable for this specific model, the plastic would be the best option - at a cost of between £400-£450

The powder based printer would be best used for the likes of a tractor chasis and then the plastic used to finish off ie. cabs, hitches, bonnets etc - the parts that will take direct contact. 

I have pictures of a quad I printed for a company and I will update it when I get a chance. Unfortunetly things a re a bit busy at the mo in work!

Powder based print, of house for client last year, partially painted

Prototype038.jpg

Crane system for client, November 2009

Prototype066.jpg

Anarobic Digestor Mixer for client, July 2008

Prototype014.jpg

Pipe joint for client, January 2009

Prototype018.jpg

All of the above were produced on the Z-Corp Spectrum Z510.  Further details can be found here -

http://www.thinglab.co.uk/printing_product.php?URL_=product_rapid_zcorp_spectrum_510&SubCatID_=66

I reckon 10 ?? years maybe,we'll all just buy a program to reproduce any model of any scale / subject, whatever, and just download it straight to our PC's and print it off useing one of these 3d printers,Bye Bye ALL model manufactures,Bespoke or Tesco  :'( :'(

Regards

Joe.

Well yes  :laugh: ,probably less than ten years,a bit like DVD's,the original players were fifteen grand,and rare as hen's teeth,now you get one free if you sign up to some insurance company's,and you can buy 100 blank DVD's for ten quid ??? ???

Regards

Joe.

The format I need files to be saved in so I can send them directly to print is .STL 

The trailer you have shown there would be unsuitable for the powder based 3D printer as the mesh would be too fragile and the walls to thin to support their own weight.  I also have a plastic printer which would be best suited for this job however it usually costs about 4 times as much.  im guesstimating that a trailer of this size would cost approx £125 for a prototype in the powder however, as this would be unsuitable for this specific model, the plastic would be the best option - at a cost of between £400-£450

The powder based printer would be best used for the likes of a tractor chasis and then the plastic used to finish off ie. cabs, hitches, bonnets etc - the parts that will take direct contact. 

I have pictures of a quad I printed for a company and I will update it when I get a chance. Unfortunetly things a re a bit busy at the mo in work!

Blaney's??

They wanted me to paint it for them and get wheeels etc,  In 3 days, I told em where to go i'd need a months notice ha ha!

Yes, the design was for Blaneys.  It was quite a quick project but it looked well when it was made.  I was told on Thursday night that they needed it for Friday at 1pm.  Did you see it??  I have a few pics which I hope I can upload soon. 

I printed the wheels for them too so what wheels did they want?  I think it was an exhibition they wanted it for so it wasnt a functional model- just a concept prototype.

Yes, the design was for Blaneys.  It was quite a quick project but it looked well when it was made.  I was told on Thursday night that they needed it for Friday at 1pm.  Did you see it??  I have a few pictures which I hope I can upload soon. 

I printed the wheels for them too so what wheels did they want?  I think it was an exhibition they wanted it for so it wasnt a functional model- just a concept prototype.

I don't know they expected me to pull somethin outta me @r$3 so I said no

I have a couple of the older design they didn't want it getting out but to me its a quad with a crap linkage front and rear and a roof.

I'd buy a mule

I work for a company called MCor Technoligies.

www.mcortechnologies.com

We manufacture 3D printers and produce sample prototypes for customers. The only problem with the plasitc printers is the price of the consumables (plastic etc). To build a part which is expensive.

Let me get this right.....

1. You can create a 3D image on your computer at home

2. download this information into a 3D printer

3. The 3D image you created comes out of the machine as a plastic model or components?

So, in theory, you could become a one man model manufacturer in you own home?

Yeah guys, the printers we have were about £50,000 for the powder based machine and the plastic machine was about £27,000.  Not the cheapest way to produce models!  To make them pay you would have to run them almost 24hrs a day!

the offer is still open though if you have completed .stl files - send them on through and I'll give you a price to have them produced!