Ropa Beet Harvester, Limited Edition

• 2 weeks later...

I got my example of the Ropa limited edition 2010 series (3.333 examples built), - and here is my review:

1) Box: The model comes in a very nice yellow box with images of the real model. Getting access to the model inside the box is easy, no straps or strips have to be cut to take out the model. Printed on the box is the claim "most powerful sugar beet harvester worldwide", which is not true, as e.g. the Agrifac Hexa-12 is even bigger, regarding horsepower and number of rows.

9 points of 10 possible (due to the exagerated information)

gIMG_4364.jpg

2. General appearance: The model is very, very heavy, the heaviest 1/32 scale farm modell in my hands so far. A lot of metal as been used. The colour fit seems to be perfect. A lot of very nice decals and prints like warning reflectors on the backside or the famous tiger logo. Inside the tank, the elevator parts have been highlighted in black colour, giving it a much more realistic look then the corresponding model of the Holmer Terra Dos. Endurability of the modell as however made possible by making some parts much thicker then they would be in a UH 1/32 scale model. E.g. the tank guard fences are not broken grates but kind of solid walls, however with implied grate structure.

8 points of 10 possible

gIMG_4363.jpg

3. Functionality/Playability: This is one of the best aspects of the modell, also in comparison with the Holmer modell. I allowed my 5 year old son to play with the modell (which will become a diorama modell next week) and he soon found out all the functions and stayed carpet framing for some some hours, in contrast to Britains or other Siku models which often get boring tom him after a while (with exception of my 1980s Britains baler) ... 

The beet lifting wheels turn when the model rides on the carpet and the turning radius of the articulated modell is almost as good as the real thing. Two ladders can be moved, the whole frontal harvesting section can be folded and removed, the unloading elevator can be moved to and the rear mashine bay can be opened. The only thing missing is - as the harvesting header can be removed - the original transport trailer for the 9-row-header and a hitch at the rear of Ropa in order to draw this trailer.

9 points of 10 points possible

gIMG_4375.jpg

4. The model as vitrine model

Although a lot af datails have been incorporated in this model (for a Siku model) the general appearance is a little bit too rough and solid for a perfect replica compared to U.H., Weise or Wiking standards. Nevertheless, it is much better than a normal toy and seems to be the best compromise between both funktions (toy <-> replica). One nice detail as the "Michelin" gravure on the weels (first time for siku using a real wheel manufatureres name on the wheels instead of the big SIKU letters?) and the fact that the two pairs of rear wheels are represented in two different sizes and their lightly shifted "soil protection" arrangement just like on the real mashine.

7 points of 10 possible

gIMG_4369.jpg

5. The modell as diorama model

The model seems perfect for dioramas. Endurable to allow for easy cleaning very month or so without risk of breaking small parts, endurable enough to allow it to be used in dioramas with real earth or coffee powder being used. And a nice driver sits inside the cab in a black ropa overall and - as it seems - an improved face-lift compared to the normal "Funny Fred" drivers provided by Siku. A lot of parts can be filled with 1/32 scale sugar beets and - as stated above - the model looks much better than a normal toy.

10 points of 10 possible

gIMG_4366.jpg

6. Choice of modell

The Holmer Euro Tiger is destined for sugar beet, a culture widely ignored by farmtoy manufacturers so far. Also, this is the first Holmer model produced in higher numbers ever. And, in contrast to the rather poor looking Holmer, a real optical pleasure, the first acceptable series-produces 1/32 self-propelled sugar beet harvester on the market. Of course Ropa and Siku did chose the largest variant of the Euro Tiger, the 9 row XL variant, instead of the more common 6 row variant, thus making it even more special.

10 points of 10 possible

gIMG_4367.jpg

7. price

the model was availabe at 69,- euros directly from Ropa. This makes it one of the most expensive Siku modells, but it is also one of the best siku models. Regarding the fact that you have to pay some 20,- Euros for a normal Siku toy tractor, some 40 Euros for a Wiking or Weise model tractor and some 50 to 60 Euros for 1/32 combine modells of roughly the same size, this price seems acceptable for me, especially for a "limited" edition series. Although the price hurts, you are rewarded by a really outstanding model.

8 points of 8 possible

gIMG_4368.jpg

8. summary. I just can recommend this model to anyone interested in sugar beet farming, for any sugar beet diorama and especially for every carpet farmer. A very nice and valuable gift for the collector, and for your little 5-year-old boy too.

all in all: 61 points of 70 possible - very good!

Rumours suggest the ROPA Euromaus self propelled sugar beet cleaning loader relesed by SIKU and ROPA during Agrictechnica 2010. We can expect another highlight then!

And of course we need a 9- or 18-row dugar beet drill for seeding our 1/32 scale sugar beets next year!

fIMG_4370.jpg

Thanks Richard for the review. Mine is on its way to me.

Regarding the tires: I think Siku have done that before, the Fendt 936 comes to my mind (Pirelli)

The biggest ?

here are some stats:

Length          HP          Bunker capacity    #rows

Ropa Euro Tiger V8-3 XL        14.95m      593              29t                  9

Agrifac Hexa 12                    14.10m      600                26t                12

Agrifac Hexa 12-S              ?                600                33t                12       

Vervaet Beeteater 925            14.00m      600                25t                9           

I would assume that for 300 you got one of the first edition of 1111. Which # did you get ?

Those agritechnica models do sell for a mint.

mine is no 555 (triple nickel!) of edition 3333.

Are the ROPA harvesters a common sight in your region/in Canada? I now that Ropa also sell on the North American continent, but are the Eurotigers popular over there?

There are no sugarbeets grown in my area. I did talk to someone at Ropa North America and they told me that so far 12 tigers have been sold. I assume mosty in southern Ontario and the bordering state of Michigan. We used to grow them in Switzerland and my uncle still does. I suppose that is why I have an interest in this crop. Although I have to admit I am also atracted to it because of the huge machinery used.

I just received my Tiger. # 2771 .

what a model. Siku have finally built a decent model. I will get myself a second one and detail/improve one of them.

Can anyone send me some pictures how the elevators folds in to transport position. I would also like some detail shots of the topper, digger unit especially showing how the hydraulic lines are routed.

Thank you.

what a model. Siku have finally built a decent model. I will get myself a second one and detail/improve one of them.

Can anyone send me some pictures how the elevators folds in to transport position. I would also like some detail shots of the topper, digger unit especially showing how the hydraulic lines are routed.

Thank you.

maybe this helps? http://www.farmtoysforum.com/forum/index.php/topic,15215.705.html

Thank you.

Don't understand, you have your model and you need photos about how your model should look like???? Just take it out of the box and you will see!? Or you need photos about the real thing???

Don't understand, you have your model and you need photos about how your model should look like???? Just take it out of the box and you will see!? Or you need photos about the real thing???

well he wants to detail it, so looking at the undetailed model would be a bit useless i think. so he wants pictures of the real one

• 2 weeks later...

My dear Richard, darling, thank you very much for posting these detail pictures especially for me! Not that I need to say thank you as you probably have nothing else to do than posting pictures, but I do.-

Regards Anfield Vario? - no, just me, myself and I - madman Richard de Florennes  ;)

hope this helps even more then:

some pictures I took last autumn of various Eurotigers - but always 6-row mashines!

ropaIMG_7857.jpg

ropaIMG_2031.jpg

ropaIMG_0940.jpg

ropaIMG_0938.jpg

ropaIMG_0937.jpg

RopaIMG_0893.jpg

RopaIMG_0892.jpg

ropaIMG_7858.jpg