G&M Originals 1939 David Brown VAK1.

G&M Originals are about to release the details of their latest model release of a 1939 David Brown VAK1 tractor in 1:16th scale. Made from brass and diecast, this model has been almost a year in the process of bringing into production. The model is correct in every aspect with incredable detail and accuracy. Fitted with the original type cast grille and the power control hydraulic lift and PTO unit which was an optional extra at the time on the real tractor. The engine has full detail and the side panels are removeable. The front wheels are poseable but not linked via the steering wheel and the front axle pivots. This model would grace the cabinet of anyones collection.

A limited number of 150 of this model will be available and each will be numbered and certificated. Further to this there will be up to 50 'War-time-economy' variants of the model produced depending on interest and orders taken for it, this variant will carry the 'bullet-hole' pressed steel type grille and fitted with steel wheels.

The model pictured is the prototype which was built in order to see that all the components were correct and fitted together properly before production of the 150 subsequent models would be made and is the model used in all the promotional and advertising material. This model is now residing in my own collection. The production models may very slightly and subtly vary from the prototype but any modifications or alterations will be bareley noticeable as the prototype is so accurate. Ordering and price details can be found on G&M Originals website www.gandmoriginals.com A very stunning model.

VAK1Review01.jpg

VAK1Review02.jpg

VAK1Review03.jpg

VAK1Review04.jpg

VAK1Review05.jpg

Andy. Yes, please do. Martin was very keen for me to add publicity to this model and rightly so is very proud of it and wanted me to share with all. I contributed to this model, albeit in a very small way, by sending him pictures of a real one, although he did have one to work from to make the patterns, and informing him of the correct fitments such as the tyre size, nameplates on the side panels and other things that would have been built into the tractor at the factory, as we all know, many 'restored' tractors today carry a number of replacement parts that are not as or are far from original and Martin being the perfectionist that he is, wished to get it right and as I have said, the result is stunning. My biggest thanks to Martin and Gerald goes to them for enabling me to own this the prototype which makes it a more unique model.

Thanks for sharing the pictures, it looks brilliant. Hope the get to do the bullet hole grille VAK as my real machine is a 44' with a the grille. The only other noticable differences would be no rubber hand grips on the steering brakes and gear lever. The deep calormeter was replaced with a walmot breeden unit too. I think i'm right in saying that the side panel badges lost their tail flahes too.

Its nice that you manged to get the protoype, these DB models are few and far between compared to the other manufacturers.

Thanks Lee. I will contact Martin and inform him of the differences between this model and the 'War-time economy' version. Yes, I did know that the nameplates on the side panels did not have the 'tails', they just had the continuous line boarder around the name. Was aware of the lack of the rubbers on the independant steering brake hand levers as well, I think that was a general thing on most War-time tractors, no more rubber than nesessary. The War-time version should also have the green canvas seat coverings, as the prototype pictured, but the rest of the rubber tyred VAK1's will probably have black cushions. Any other differences on the War-time version, please tell me so's I can pass it on to Martin.

Lovely model PR. A bit of a coup to get the prototype too - nice one.  ;)

I have a very early memory of driving one of those on a neighbour's farm. They were great for kids with the bench seat.  :)

Have just sent the pictures and a review of it to Tim Bolton for the next Model Tractor mag. Be interesting to see what it comes out like.

Yes, I feel very privelleged to actually have the prototype and niceley certificated too.

Question for the guys going to the antique shows, is this a tractor that is seen?  Someone has done a lovely job of putting it together.....nice detail and nice color....Imagine old farts like me living over there would have seen it in operation.....

Question for the guys going to the antique shows, is this a tractor that is seen?  Someone has done a lovely job of putting it together.....nice detail and nice color....Imagine old farts like me living over there would have seen it in operation.....

We call them tractor show or rallies pops >:( >:(

Seriously Rick .... no you don't see many of the earlier David Brown VAK 1's at rallies these days. I have been exhibiting at shows for 28 years now . In the olden days my 1957 Diesel Nuffield was a newbie amongst all the older pertrol paraffin tractors. Nowadays rallies are mainly made up of diesels from the 1960's to the 1990's. I not saying that is bad but it is nice to see the older tractors and smell the TVO ;) ;)

Well cuse me, Tractor Rallies, one would think I was calling you a fossil ??? ....I remember now what caught my eye....The color of the tractor is almost the same as the Case VAC that I grew up on cutting hay with my brother John.  He actually drove the tractor during cutting and I rode the mower.....I remember the seat always pinched my butt.....and could not take the mower out of gear on hills since the breaks were naff on the VAC....earn 5 dollars a acre...I was 12 and john was 15....

actually the front looks very similar.....I drove the VAC in the wheat field doing spring toothing......

Rick. The colour in the pictures may look a little lighter than it actually is, It's called 'Hunting Pink'. (which is really a shade of bright red) The reason the tractors were painted this colour, as were all of the David Browns up to 1965 when the white ones came in, was that when the first real prototype was built, the design team were in the factory yard one Saturday trying to decide what colour it should be painted, in came David Brown himself and joined in the conversation, he had just returned from following the local hunt dressed in all his hunting regalia and took his hunting jacket off and draped it over the bonnet of the tractor and said 'Paint it that colour'. So they did.