Cultivating Advice Sought.

An Interested Spectator

Question

As my "handle" on here suggests, I am no farming professional, merely an observing amateur.

I have a reasonable knowledge of forage harvesting and equipment. However I know "zip" about cultivating equipment.

I want to put together a diorama of equipment that might be used for cultivating and planting kale for out wintering cattle, and restoring grass afterwards.

Can someone suggest models in 1/32 from any of the main model makers that might be used for this.  I am looking for kit which can be used with tractors in the 90 to 170hp power range, so no Simba Solo's !

Cheers in advance

Adie.

10 answers to this question

We just plough and drill for actual kale but for kale/rape hybrid or turnips for out wintering cattle we give it a pass of the cultivator then got straight in with the drill. If you were going to put grass in behind kale it would be a case of ploughing then drilling it followed by a pass of the rolls, cattle do compact the ground fairly and you do get a lot of stalks laying about on the surface that would need burying

A great deal would depend on your soil type and how much cultivation it would take to achieve a seed bed  :-\ :-\

If you were into older kit then the FTF Ford 7000 and cultivator set would be ideal for working down the ploughing. Many people nowadays seem to use a power harrow straight after the plough, there are a couple on the market UH do a Prosol version, I am old school and I was always told that to use a power harrow was an admission of defeat as it would "beat the soil into submission" rather than create a tilth ::) ::)

If you are ploughing up an older pasture then you would need to break up the turf first otherwise it will become a mat beneath the surface that doesn't rot down properly, we used to use a Rotavator but a set of discs might do the job as well.

Very, hence my suggestion of avalaible, good quality models to match the kind of horsepower which was given. Not to mention replicating similar machinery seen in  the area AIS comes from. Soil type won't be an issue for a plough based system which is why it is still popular in the south west. AIS will be just fine to plant winter feed and grass to follow with this idea too which was in the criteria. Nobody is wrong here but the question was model/diorama based and there is no other mention of models to suit the required needs ::):)

Err I mentioned the FTF Ford and cultivator if you wanted a 70's theme and also the UH Prosol Power harrow after a plough if you wanted to be more up to date :-\ :-\ :-\ :-\ . My point about soli types is that people tend to base their dioramas on the type they are used to, I don't know what type of soil Adie has got  ;) ;)

Whatever system you opt for you will need a good set of rolls for seedbed consolidation, both grass and Kale like a firm seedbed.........if of course you are looking to be realistic ::) ::)