Storage advice

hurlimann165

I have recently put some of my empty model boxes into a bigger box and put them in my attic. My house is older and the attic is cold enough. My problem is that now the modle boxes have become almost damp. The cardboard feels soft and suple. Anybody have advice on how to prevent this. I have nowhere else to store the boxes as all my other rooms are in use. Advice or tips greatly appreciated.....

Some of the silica gel packs that you get in handbags, suitcases etc when you buy them might help

However beware - sealed containers can create ideal conditions for mould which is worse than just being damp.  That is what happened to some of Stu's boxes stored in a cupboard in an unheated garage so we put them in the garage loft (which is well ventilated) in open boxes and they seem fine.  The rest of my boxes are in the top of my wardrobes and that is even better.

The loft of any house is not ideal to store anything of an organic nature as the fluctuation of temperatures will create moisture and the lack of circulation of air will further contribute to this even if the loft is insulated. If you want to store this type of material in your loft you should have a heater installed, one of those electric plug on a lead, tube greenhouse heaters to maintain a constant temperature or a fan heater that will also move the air around a bit and circulate it, it could be plugged in via a timer so that the heater comes on at regulated intervals which will also save electric in not being on constantly, you can get a timer that you plug in the socket and then plug your appliance into that and pull out the little pins to coincide with the times you want it to operate. My house is thatched and stays a fairly constant temperature so I have found that putting empty boxes in larger thicker boxes keeps them very well, the only problem is in thatch you get a lot of flies hibernating in it and find their way into everything and the flittermice living in the roof poop on everything.

The loft of any house is not ideal to store anything of an organic nature as the fluctuation of temperatures will create moisture and the lack of circulation of air will further contribute to this even if the loft is insulated. If you want to store this type of material in your loft you should have a heater installed, one of those electric plug on a lead, tube greenhouse heaters to maintain a constant temperature or a fan heater that will also move the air around a bit and circulate it, it could be plugged in via a timer so that the heater comes on at regulated intervals which will also save electric in not being on constantly, you can get a timer that you plug in the socket and then plug your appliance into that and pull out the little pins to coincide with the times you want it to operate. My house is thatched and stays a fairly constant temperature so I have found that putting empty boxes in larger thicker boxes keeps them very well, the only problem is in thatch you get a lot of flies hibernating in it and find their way into everything and the flittermice living in the roof poop on everything.

So do the flies - little brown spots that are a pain to remove - even inside sealed picture frames!  How do they get in those?