Ford transit money box

I bought one of these recently, quite cheap too. Does yours have the locking cover to the coin box? mine does not. I can only presume that they were converted by Britains as all decaled up. Mine is missing one of the door mirrors.

I have one also, which I bought via eBay from Peter Lee (eBay name petervanlee), also for reasonable money - perhaps yours came from the same source jaywilli (he sold two or three at around the same time).

The Toy Trust is a charity set up by the British Toy and Hobby Association in 1990.  The Toy Trust raises money primarily from within the UK toy industry and distributes it to various charities helping disadvantaged or disabled children. 

The van money boxes (cat number 40925) were produced by Britains themselves for the trust to use as a fundraising aid and were certainly in use at the London Toyfair at the time (and most probably elsewhere too).  I have no idea how many were made, but I don't imagine it was a huge number.  They were possibly (either partly or perhaps entirely?) donated by Britains as their contribution to the charity that year?

It must have been a reasonably big job, not only involving the making the casting with a coin slot in the roof and producing the tooling to tampo print the logos, but also to retool the interior and floor pan/baseplate to make the money box itself and the trapdoor for getting the money out.

I think that their relative cheapness when sold on eBay may be down to most collectors not knowing what they were and assuming (wrongly) that they were a third party conversion. I think I may have seen yours on eBay super6, I remember an unboxed one a couple of months ago that was missing its locking cover and key.  You can probably find a spare mirror from someone who has chopped/scrapped a playworn one, but the cover would be difficult to replace - mind you, it doesn't show when standing on the shelf  ;)

Few pictures of mine:

TransitMoneyBox40925a01.jpg

TransitMoneyBox40925a05.jpg

TransitMoneyBox40925a07.jpg

TransitMoneyBox40925a03.jpg

Nice 1 lads, good to see others in FTF collections. 

I saw it on ebay and although it has not relavance to me, i thought it was something a bit different. 

thanks for the pics ploughmaster, I hav'nt seen the money slot as havnt actually removed it from the card.  I actually got mine on second chance offer so more than likely seller had two and we bought at same time.   

Good to see Britains still getting out there to help uk, although production gone to china!  :'(

Do Britains still support the Toy Trust?

Also may be a good marketing exercise for FTF to fundraise for the charity and maybe even get a Toy Trust/FTF limited edition model produced and proceeds going to charity.