JRO Griffiths & Sons

jordantaylor

I fail to understand why in England's spud growers use a bedtiller?

Would'nt the de-stoner set in an agressive position work the soil enough?

Or working the land down with a grubber frist be ok?

Is the land realy that hard?

we use them to allow for easy de-stoning and to reduce the size and amount of clods/stones ending up in the bottom of the furrow

it helps to create a finer seedbed

• Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Any idea why your boss picked 6 two row planters rather than two six row machines Jordan, no three row bed formers or GPS?

i think he chose those planters as the tractors we are using are not big enough for the 6 row machines, and we do have 3 row bedformers i will get some photos for you and we do have GPS on the bigger machines, and all of the contractors john deere's and new hollands have them

we use them to allow for easy de-stoning and to reduce the size and amount of clods/stones ending up in the bottom of the furrow

it helps to create a finer seedbed

[/quote

arh thanks for that.do you drop the clods on the next bed and put the through again?

That'll be nice buddy, 'your own' tractor to use and care for. Hope it is something you like and works well for you and the company. Do you get any say? Even if you don't, at this stage what would be your first choice?

it will be good tris, i would honestly be happy with a john deere or new holland,

new hollands to me have a smoother gear box but john deeres i feel are more for driver comfort and when im doing 16 hour days in it that would probably be what id need but either way im not fussed as long as it runs well and gets the job done efficiently im happy

i do get a say as i think at the end of it they are going to let me buy the tractor off them but still use it to work for them but my boss wants me to set up my own contracting business and so has said when i leave if i need any equipment for contracting they would let me use theres at a small fee.

they have been really good to me so far and i can see me having a good relationship with them for many years to come, they have also promised to keep work coming my way aswell so im really pleased.

i think he chose those planters as the tractors we are using are not big enough for the 6 row machines, and we do have 3 row bedformers i will get some photos for you and we do have GPS on the bigger machines, and all of the contractors john deere's and new hollands have them

Aha I see, thanks. I guess it keeps the Polish community at work  ::) .

thats a nice small parlour is that on a farm or at college

its on the contractors small dairy farm where im doing a bit of work for the moment, it holds 8, its like a real version of the britains model. they have beef cattle now and 90 acres of arable that JRO are planting spuds on. 

• 2 weeks later...

well we are non stop at the moment at JRO. we have been going through all of the kit for the spud plant and we have got down to the tri axle liquid fert tankers, we are just giving them a general service and clean up.

we have now got the old grain dryer out of the shed and put the new one in, its about 45ft long.

here are some photos of the front liquid fert tanks that we have given a new lease of life and at the age of 16 they look good to me

there are also 2 of 8 of our potato planter, and they yard looking a tad bare but when we are planting it will be full to the brim every night of around 40 tractors and equipment.

post-2337-13263963216_thumb.jpg

post-2337-132639632198_thumb.jpg

post-2337-132639632231_thumb.jpg

post-2337-132639632249_thumb.jpg

here we have the carrot boys massey and harvester. they came down to try and rescue the carrots left ut over winter and t be fair they were not in all bad condition. they had a small case that was taking the covering off the soil, a jd 6830 on floats that was hauling, case??? also hauling, massey on the harvester and another tractor, i think it was a valtra, didnt get to see it much to decide.

post-2337-132639632553_thumb.jpg

post-2337-132639632565_thumb.jpg

post-2337-132639632574_thumb.jpg

post-2337-132639632635_thumb.jpg