Forest Farm Updated

Tommy Gough

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As you may have guessed with the wholecrop pictures we grew a bit of wheat this year. It was only 40 acres but it still caused headaches, mainly the different spray applications that had to be done, normally when it was raining or our contractor was busy. 25 acres were wholecropped but due to a rapidly filling clamp we decided to leave the last 15 acres for grain. Not sure if this was a good or bad idea at the time. Seemed quite a bad idea when the rain came again and the grains started falling out but we did finally get the combine in...for it to do 2 times round the headland and stop again, due to a moisture reading of 19.5%. I realize this may not seem a problem for some of you big farmers with grain dryers and proper stores but we didn't have access to a dryer and didn't know how long we were going to be storing the grain for so we had to leave it for a week.

Our two grain carting tractors on the first day

Photo0057_zps6e8b0525.jpg

Photo0056_zps9664df38.jpg

A week later we did finally get a moisture level we were happy with and got the combine driver back to try again. The combine in question, a New Holland TC56, got on well until we had only about an acre left, when an arm cracked that put pressure on the intake drive, meaning we had to stop again. We though we may have been able to bodge it for the last part of the field but when we finally got the arm off, we saw it was too bad to fix in-field. It did get sorted and the next day we finished off the field.

Pictures

Photo0059_zps0e34c5cb.jpg

Photo0060_zpscb4ca991.jpg

Photo0061_zps5a1990c6.jpg

Photo0062_zpsa1450fa7.jpg

Photo0063_zpsdcdf1bca.jpg

and the final heap

Photo0064_zps56c8ec18.jpg

This would have looked a lot nicer if it had been a week earlier as it would have been bigger.

Thats all for now. Probably no pictures from maize this year as we have the wholecrop instead. I would like to say I will get some pictures of some ploughing but that may not happen for a while, if at all this year.

Thanks for looking, sorry if I bored you, all comments or questions welcome.

• 1 year later...

Hello?? Anyone still reading this?? If there is I have finally got round to getting last years photos sorted and onto photobucket. There wont be too many pictures posted in this topic, unless i cant find my out and about topic where I plan to put my summer photos. Anyway, here are a few pictures from silage and hay making 2013

S1190001_zpse1db0700.jpg

S1190004_zps0396adc9.jpg

S1190005_zpsd9b0f84a.jpg

S1190020_zps7f339d6e.jpg

S1190023_zpsc4db716f.jpg

S1190025_zpsf794b830.jpg 

Archived