Forest Farm Updated

Tommy Gough

Thats all of the recent photos for now but I have found a few old photos recently and have scanned them.

First we have some from the silage harvest of 2000

BubbSilagingJune2000.jpg

BubbSilagingJune20002.jpg

Any health and safety officers look away now

Case.jpg

These 3 are from 2005 in the yard of the contractor my uncle used to work for

BellsCombineAugust2005.jpg

BellsNHAugust2005.jpg

BellsYardAugust2005.jpg

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Another tractor that my uncle used to drive. This was his last day of driving it before he got a new TM175

No5October2002.jpg

No5Oct2002.jpg

Now for a few oldies of the animals

Taken in August 1995 and the shear grab in the background is still in use.

BigSnowAugust1995.jpg

A steer that was kept in 1994

DustyOctober1994.jpg

Another steer attempting to be fashionable (again in 1994)

October1994.jpg

YoungBlackieOctober1994.jpg

A bull calf that was raised at home

Seen here in May 1993

UpperSeagryInterstarMay1993.jpg

UpperSeagryInterstarMay19932.jpg

And here again on February 1st 1996

UpperSeagryInterstarFebruary1st1996.jpg

UpperSeagryInterstarFebruary1st19962.jpg

And for anyone interested his full name was Upper Seagry Interstar

Now one of our red cows in 1998. The calf in this photo is 2 days old

RubyRedCalf7thJuly19982DaysOld.jpg

And an Aberdeen Angus bull that was around in about 2004. Not sure on the full name but it started Whitehall Wanderer.

AberdeenAngus.jpg

Not sure at the moment Graham. A lot of farms in the area have turned at least some of their cattle out. I would say we have enough grass around for them now but it depends on the weather. We have been having some rain over the past few days which has made a few areas a bit boggy, mainly on one of our dirt tracks that gets churned up easily, and we dont really want the cows to be walking through loads of mud.

Another reason is that, when its raining, you lose the motivation to go and check around the fields for dodgy fences or hedges.

• 1 month later...

We finally got our cattle out on wednesday. I was hoping to get a video of them going out as they normally have a bit of a run around but I was at college. I did manage to get some pictures in the evening as they ate and slept after the afternoon milking.

100_0859.jpg

100_0860.jpg

100_0862.jpg

Such a nice sight

100_0865.jpg

Not such a good sight

100_0867.jpg

Final picture for tonight is of our contractor after he had been spreading some nitrogen on our wheat. I did mention the outfit earlier in the topic but to save you looking back it is a NH T6080 with a Kuhn spreader.

P160512_1655.jpg

We finally got our cattle out on wednesday. I was hoping to get a video of them going out as they normally have a bit of a run around but I was at college. I did manage to get some pictures in the evening as they ate and slept after the afternoon milking.

Yeah the farmer has this week let around 80 of his cows out into the field below us and it's great to watch them stomp around, stretch their legs and explore their new surroundings.

The cattle look lovely out at grass, Tommy. Are they up by the road?

The milking herd aren't by the road but we turned out about 15 today in one of our fields along the road and they are right against the road so you may see them if you were to drive by.

• 1 month later...

Bit of an update, not many pictures though. On the last day of May, we managed to get our silaging underway. We managed to get around 40 acres clamped on the first day after starting at around half 4 with one of the worlds slowest buckrake operators. I didnt get a chance for any photos on the first day as i was mowing until it began to get dark but these photos are from the next day, after all the grass was cut.

229828_325095877571033_969560923_n.jpg

When i got back the clamp was fairly full but about 2 hours later it was like this

168522_325095240904430_1406821323_n.jpg

Another hour and only the jd fitted under the roof, leaving the contractors machine 283766_325095604237727_1224715988_n.jpg

to fill another clamp.

Im afraid thats all the photos I got but I will hopefully get a chance to take some more photos at second cut, that is if the weather ever gets better.

• 3 weeks later...

Small update but just the bad news that the cows have had to stay inside these last few days due to all the rain we have been having. They lasted well but after the last downpour we had trouble getting the quad across the field to get them in so the choice was made, luckily we still have aenough straw and silage around. We have also had to let some of our heifers into 2 new fields just to try and save the ground slightly. Lets hope we get a good dry spell soon.

• 2 months later...

Got myself a bit of free time the other day in which I managed to upload some photos from the summer. First we have a few photos from our wholecrop. Me and my dad spent a saturday morning hurridly putting up the side sheets on the pit and trying to do our normal jobs in a morning so that we would be ready for when the contractor turned up, which was supposed to be arround 3:30pm. By 8:30pm we were getting quite annoyed but they did finally turn up, just as it started getting dark, so we decided to wait until the sunday morning. Im sure most of you can guess that, like the rest of the summer, the rain arrived that night so by morning there was a bit of stress. All the crew still turned up but went off for a long lunch. We did get some good luck though and by about 3:30pm we managed to get the forager into the field and up and running. I took some photos of the kit parked up which are coming up now and I will post some links to some videos when I get back on to the main computer.

Trailers and header parked up on the sunday morning

Photo0026-1.jpg

950 and 12 plate New Holland T7.265

Photo0028-1.jpg

Sun shining on Fendt 724

Photo0031.jpg

Fendt 720 and New Holland

915dc5f1ead20555515a9d731ed4a634.jpg

Filling up with addative

Photo0030.jpg

Night chopping from the 724

0c0b172ba09bfee292312a258990f75d.jpg

The next job on the list for us was 2nd cut silage. Like last year we did it in two parts, although this year we baled the 2nd part of it instead of clamping it all. Silaging also came with its own problems. I was told to start mowing on a saturday and then another mower would join me on sunday to keep ahead of the forager, also due on sunday. On my 8th time round the headland I lost all drive to the mower bed which messed up the plans a bit. Then, on the sunday, our contractors mower was also out working so we called the contractor who did our wholecrop who agreed to send down his mower down. Of corse, just as he arrived the rain came,so we were back to waiting for the sun to shine. Again we seemed to be in luck as the sun began to shine again around lunchtime so we set the mower off and fired up the forager almost straight behind him. Just as I was going to get some pictures though some of our straw was delivered so I had to unload it quickly to let the driver go whilst dodging trailers coming in and out. This also delayed my job of stacking the bales properly so just as I finished the next load arrived, but this was the last load for the day. I did manage to get out into the field in the end but just took some videos which I will post links too later.

So next we moved on to baling the last of our 2nd cut. This was a few weeks later and I did actually get a few photos, although Photobucket seems to have hidden my photos of mowing so we move onto baling. This was done by my uncle, who has been using the baler for our contractor with our tractor.

The baler is a new New Holland BB9060 (replacement for the BB940 if you work in older balers)

Photo0053_zps186fccbc.jpg

Photo0052_zps3bb38168.jpg

Photo0051_zps0daf063d.jpg

Photo0049_zps127c2fa9.jpg

Photo0047_zps609e64e3.jpg

The last photo is of the wrapper (a Kuhn SW4004 i think). No working photos as the driver had just finished the last field as I got back from collecting our bale squeezer from the contractor yard. The tractor is a New Holland TM165

Photo0054_zpsae6e42a2.jpg

Not too bad a crop for both cuts really Tris, which is quite good considering the weather we've had this year. The wrapper is a bit of a sore point really. I think Kuhn had only just started selling that style of wrapper so Nicks one was a bit of a trial really. It has been a lot of trouble both last year and again this year, so much so that he did have two parked in his yard at one stage. No-one really seems to think it would be as good as a Mchale.

Archived