Farming in Killeshandra

Farmermilkin82.050

I know there are many large farmers on the forum, but I thought I would post some pictures of the last few weeks in Killeshandra!

Just the other day we were thaughing out some pipes in the sheds and forgot to turn off the taps...... The next day I went in and the bedded area in the shed was flooded !!!!

So had to call our neighbour who is a contractor and get him to dig out all the sawdust out and get a silage load of sawdust ( next week ) which I will put into the shed with our mf590 and the fleming power box.

post-2772-132639610431_thumb.jpg

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice photos there ;D  how do you find the sawdust as bedding? and is feed intake increased over straw bedded cattle

Hi Patrick,

I feel sawdust does a great job bedding because not like straw it can be left for longer.

And to be perfectly honest we don't have the herd of cows on the bedded area only calves and cows in calf,

All the heifers are left on the slats ;D

At the moment we have a charolais heifer that fell and sprained her ankle in one pen ( more pics being uploaded) :laugh:

Hi Patrick,

I feel sawdust does a great job bedding because not like straw it can be left for longer.

And to be perfectly honest we don't have the herd of cows on the bedded area only calves and cows in calf,

All the heifers are left on the slats ;D

At the moment we have a charolais heifer that fell and sprained her ankle in one pen ( more pictures being uploaded) :laugh:

Thanks for the reply. We have a heard of sucklers ourselves so anyone elses cows and methods of farming them interest me a lot. A neighbour put some of his cows onto sawdust after being on straw and he said much the same although they were eating a 4ft silage bale extra every 2 days. :-\ :P  are all your heard charolais or charolais cross?

Thanks for the reply. We have a heard of sucklers ourselves so anyone elses cows and methods of farming them interest me a lot. A neighbour put some of his cows onto sawdust after being on straw and he said much the same although they were eating a 4ft silage bale extra every 2 days. :-\ :P  are all your heard charolais or charolais cross?

No we also have belgium blues, limousins  but a good few charolais :D

Have ye many cows???

No we also have belgium blues, limousins  but a good few charolais :D

Have ye many cows???

We have 30ish sucklers, mainly Bonde d'Aquitaine and crosses, also a few blues and a few various. We finish all their offspring on a cereal based system. We also rear black and white bull calves from 2 weeks up to 14-16 weeks and have 80 in two batches of 40, one on milk and the other weaned. I also work weekends at my neighbours dairy farm where we have 200 pure holstien milkers and followers ;D

We have 30ish sucklers, mainly Bonde d'Aquitaine and crosses, also a few blues and a few various. We finish all their offspring on a cereal based system. We also rear black and white bull calves from 2 weeks up to 14-16 weeks and have 80 in two batches of 40, one on milk and the other weaned. I also work weekends at my neighbours dairy farm where we have 200 pure holstien milkers and followers ;D

We have 50 or so now sold 2 a while back we're feeding the heifers on silage all winter and the younger stock silage dairy nuts and new borns calf nuts 8) hope to expand over the years maybe buy a mounted mower sometime ::)

Copy2ofDSC00099.jpg

CopyofDSC00036.jpg

Copy3ofDSC00017.jpg

CopyofDSC00025.jpg