BA Stores - Vintage working weekend 14 /15 May 2011

BC

The annual working vintage working weekend takes place at BA Stores at Lyne of Skene between Dunecht and Kintore on the weekend of 14 and 15 th May 2011.

I'll be going along with my 1951 International Farmall Cub with mid mounted mower and well may take my Ransomes TS42 A plough and have a go at ploughing again since it was 2008 since I last had an attempt at that.

BA2008055.jpg

Let us hope the weather is kind to us

http://www.bavintageweekend.co.uk/

• 2 months later...

Well I'm almost ready for the show this weekend. Two batteries on charge, filled tank with a few gallons of petrol and oil and water levels checked. The forecast for Saturday is heavy rain with sunny intervals  for Sunday so I have decided against taking the trailing plough along this year and go for grass cutting instead.

I should really get this old Landmaster rotovator going and take it along to the show another year since there would be plenty room up front on the trailer for it.

ST834704.jpg

ST834705.jpg

ST834706.jpg

ST834707.jpg

ST834708.jpg

Anyway I have found a new home in the shed with other old mowers and the trailing plough so maybe another year.

ST835471.jpg

Well a thunder storm on the last mile or some home today and weather a bit "iffy" over the weekend but I decided to load up whilst dry....well that's me all ready to roll heading towards one of the best rallies in Scotland in terms of playing with one's tractors ;) ;)

ST835478.jpg

Hopefully she won't fall off ;) ;)

ST835479.jpg

I really had planned to take the single furrow plough along this year but well with being busy at work and other play and also not wanting to ask dad to take it there..well he isn't fit for a place like BA anymore I decided against trying to fit it on the back of the trailer.....anyway the ring is there should anyone want to lend me a plough...single furrow please  ;) ;)

ST835480.jpg

Well I'm almost ready for the show this weekend. Two batteries on charge, filled tank with a few gallons of petrol and oil and water levels checked. The forecast for Saturday is heavy rain with sunny intervals  for Sunday so I have decided against taking the trailing plough along this year and go for grass cutting instead.

I should really get this old Landmaster rotovator going and take it along to the show another year since there would be plenty room up front on the trailer for it.

Now thats what you call a rotavator good old landmaster solid construction  :)

ST834704.jpg

ST834705.jpg

ST834706.jpg

ST834707.jpg

ST834708.jpg

Anyway I have found a new home in the shed with other old mowers and the trailing plough so maybe another year.

ST835471.jpg

Well I have had this one for years Mike and never got round to trying to get it started. It all came about many years ago when an uncle of mine said a friend of his was wanting to offload a rotovator of his and to come and see it. Well I said I wasn't really interested and left it at that. My uncle came back saying the chap said come and take it away or it will be going to the skip. Well I hated the thought of that so I duly took it off his hands. Its quite funny really since this was the chap I bought my 1948 Ransomes MG2 and plough and toolbar etc way back in cira 1983. I'll bet this rotovator had been new to Peter at Bellenden House at Milltimber near Aberdeen. So I suspect I am the second owner of this machine as well as my MG2 and well my beloved Nuffield.

I don't plan restoring the rotovator ( a Kestrel ....I think ) but some of these days I should try and see if I can get her going.

Well I have had this one for years Mike and never got round to trying to get it started. It all came about many years ago when an uncle of mine said a friend of his was wanting to offload a rotovator of his and to come and see it. Well I said I wasn't really interested and left it at that. My uncle came back saying the chap said come and take it away or it will be going to the skip. Well I hated the thought of that so I duly took it off his hands. Its quite funny really since this was the chap I bought my 1948 Ransomes MG2 and plough and toolbar etc way back in cira 1983. I'll bet this rotovator had been new to Peter at Bellenden House at Milltimber near Aberdeen. So I suspect I am the second owner of this machine as well as my MG2 and well my beloved Nuffield.

Bill When I started working in the 1980s my brothers bought one for use i our market garden

surperb heavy duty machine nearly has good as the Howard Bantum rotavators My brothers have retired now have many of the old machines laying around in their sheds all fit for scrap now though. the machinery today are all made of plastic and dont last long.

Well the weather could have been better for the working weekend but all in all it was a nice weekend. Saturday had three separate rain showers and on Sunday there was drizzle off and on and I decided to load up and pull out around 3.30pm.

Some of the photos I took starting with the ones from Saturday.

Davie Adam's ERF with his Marshall M and VF Fowler on board.

ST835481.jpg

Crown Motors from the Banff area with an ex Eddie Stobbart T cab which hauled a Ford FW 30 to the event.

ST835482.jpg

A county prime mover

ST835483.jpg

I don't think this is where my plot will be ;D ;D

ST835484.jpg

A general view of part of the site and the ploughing rigs

ST835485.jpg

Massey Ferguson dung spreader and its up for sale

ST835486.jpg

ST835499.jpg

Some of the commercials

ST835500.jpg

ST835501.jpg

ST835502.jpg

Quite a crop of hay this year just not a lot to cut. There was me and also a chap with a Dexta and an IH finger bar mower too on Saturday and a third mower on the Sunday.

ST835503.jpg

ST835504.jpg

There was even some models working on the boating pond island

ST835505.jpg

The dog was making a good job searching for pirates treasure ;) ;)

ST835506.jpg

And the kids could pan for gold

ST835507.jpg

And the pirate pullers were back as well

ST835508.jpg

ST835509.jpg

Next the Scottish Tractor pullers but they failed to get a certificate for the sledge in time so they could not pull

ST835510.jpg

Sunday.

The Scott's from Elgin with their steam engine Rob Roy

ST835517.jpg

A new looking unit from the Cooks from Leven used to haul their 1918 Fowler ploughing engine.

ST835518.jpg

A rather large looking Claas not quite sure what it hauled to the show.

ST835519.jpg

Now here is what I would say was one of the best restorations at the show this cira 1990's Ford 7610 which was a owned and restored by two chaps from Alford. I was speaking to a chap from Buckie who was going to be using it to pull a 3 furrow reversible Ransomes plough. He even said to have a climb into the cab and initially declined since I did not want to make a mess. Anyway he persuaded me to do so and well the inside was absolutely immaculate as well.

ST835524.jpg

ST835523.jpg

ST835522.jpg

ST835521.jpg

ST835520.jpg

Oh what a shame to go and plough and mess up such a nice tractor but each to ones own

ST835525.jpg

Now three reds from Vic Mathers from Kintore

Farmall M

ST835526.jpg

A recent IH SWD6 restoration

ST835527.jpg

DB 50D

ST835528.jpg

Brian Fleming's Corgi lorries

ST835529.jpg

Andy Penman from Glamis with his Mamod's

ST835530.jpg

And Albert Irvine's heavy haulage

ST835531.jpg

And the final ones

ST835532.jpg

Some of Neil Hall's from Balmedie recovery trucks which are not used for recoveries.

ST835533.jpg

ST835534.jpg

ST835535.jpg

Finally the chap who joined us to cut grass on Sunday with his vineyard petrol parafinn Ferguson and mid mounted mower.

ST835536.jpg

yeah Sunday was a wee bit temperamental weather wise. I had the Super Dexta down at it. Still never got to speak to you even though I saw the tractor numerous times. I thought you made a rather quick exit, kinda did have a look for you at 3:30ish. Its getting a bit of a journey going round everything now as its so big! Did you see the County folk with the logs? The one with red arm had various wheels off the ground whilst doing "acrobatics"

Yes it the show is spread out over a large area and it is easy to miss folk Andrew. I have been suffering with the cold since Friday and yesterday afternoon my throat was getting sore and croaky....must have been all the newsing...anyway today I can hardly speak and throat is pretty sore. In addition to the weather that was one of the reasons for my sharp exit at around 3.30pm.

I was only briefly in past the County field on the Saturday but there was no logging going on. I suspect Lindsey Pirie a timber haulier from Banchory had been putting on a bit of a show for the crowd ;) ;)