sisal baler twine as model straw substitute

jakescot

Question

I wasnt sure to put this..............however.......I know some folks have been looking for a simple yet very effective product to use as a straw substitute,many of us have used this for a while, I certainly have  and as we use more plastic twine, the sisal is getting more difficult to source easily ......I think the garden stuff is a bit too thin and lesser to the "real stuff"..........here`s a link for anyone interested ......................a few folks could perhaps share it? ??? ??? ??? ?? there`s certainly enough there  :)

.http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Big-Baler-Twine-/150567731793?pt=UK_BOI_FarmingEquipment_RL&hash=item230e894251

6 answers to this question

I can't remember who it was, but someone on here made some wonderful bales using sisal - time-consuming though - not sure I could do it commercially :-\

I think Sean uses his for bedding (for his animals, you understand.... far as I know he uses a duvet for himself... according to Mrs Sean of course :-[ )

I think Sean uses it in his layout actually John.

Yes Tris I think I remember reading that  and Mandy yes I`m sure Ive seen bales somewhere.....i`m sure others have used it too....opened out a bit I suspect a wooden or plastic dummy bale could be covered in the sisal twine ? perhaps not economically though........................

I cut it up into about half inch lengths and opened the string out  a bit..............................simples  :)

yeah i use sissal for bedding and cut stuff, but i cant say i have tried it for bales yet, but it has crossed my mind to i must confess, would need to make a hjig/press to squash it in tightly to get the right shape, may try it after the lely is finished just to see

yeah i use sissal for bedding and cut stuff, but i cant say i have tried it for bales yet, but it has crossed my mind to i must confess, would need to make a hjig/press to squash it in tightly to get the right shape, may try it after the lely is finished just to see

i suppose it might mix with pva glue or something?

yeah , key is to make sure it doesnt stick to the mould, i was considering pressing it to shape, then somehow adding the twine to it to hold it together, then pva spray it to hold together, mind you if i used the fine wire from work as twine, that should be strong enough to hold it without glue