Which Britains Sheep?

Barry

I don't have all the catalogues from this period (as you may have noticed, I'm only really interested in much older stuff), but I can narrow it down a bit. These sheep started in 1993 (may have been out late '92 for Christmas sales), were still produced in 1996, and definitely gone by 1999. So only made for 5 or 6 years then. 

Thanks people, i'm sure they are still available from time to time on e-bay then.

Was not sure if they were ltd ed, converted (repainted) or from a set.

Thank you for all the info.

You wondering about them being repaints is quite understandable, as they are indeed very well and extensively painted.

The reason: they were among Britains earlier made in China production, when, unlike rapidly developing China today, the poor buggers had to work like slaves for very low wages.

Thats the reason I like them David, they look so much nicer than the other sheep from Britains, when I saw them i had to have them for future diarama, just want some more now, been checking ebay for 6 months and not found anymore yet  :-\

Must admit they do look more realistic, wonder why they deleted them

Some farm model production was moved back to the UK, and even in China all that intricate painting became uneconomic, and obviously completely out of the question in the UK. Hence why they reverted back to the simpler previous sheep, which didn't need as much painting.

These also made a white faced version of this sheep.

I guess for us younger collectors this series was the "Herald" of our times. The animals really were nicely done.

The only exsisting animals from that range are the Thouroughbred horses, foals, lambs, calves and the 2 horses in the heavy horse pack. Shame really :(

does it say what breed they are in the catalogue? They certainly look better than what replaced them.

They didn't name these sheep. but Britains had previously named some of their sheep as the 'Kerry Hill' breed, and these were probably an attempt to produce slightly more accurate Kerry Hill sheep as they had the opportunity with their new cheap Chinese workforce.

thanks David, from what i can rememeber there were the Kerry Hill and Oxford not a 100% certain. These beauties actually have a Swaledale/ Scottish Blackface look to them.

Its an area that all makers of farm models should do really well at nowadays with modern techniques is produce some quality animals to go on farms!!

thanks David, from what i can rememeber there were the Kerry Hill and Oxford not a 100% certain. These beauties actually have a Swaledale/ Scottish Blackface look to them.

Its an area that all makers of farm models should do really well at nowadays with modern techniques is produce some quality animals to go on farms!!

As toy farm animals these sheep could indeed pass as Kerry Hill, Swadale, Scottish Blackface, but certainly not an Oxford.

For toy Oxfords, Britains old lead Hampshire Down ram suitably repainted would probably be best.

Which brings an idea to mind. Has anyone ever done a layout of an agricultural show? Would make a nice change from the usual farms, and possibly would be more realistic as lots of models could be placed close together rather more realistically, without having the reality problem of tiny fields in convential farm layouts. 

As toy farm animals these sheep could indeed pass as Kerry Hill, Swadale, Scottish Blackface, but certainly not an Oxford.

For toy Oxfords, Britains old lead Hampshire Down ram suitably repainted would probably be best.

Which brings an idea to mind. Has anyone ever done a layout of an agricultural show? Would make a nice change from the usual farms, and possibly would be more realistic as lots of models could be placed close together rather more realistically, without having the reality problem of tiny fields in convential farm layouts.

I think Mandy (Lady Ferguson) did one once.