Farm Wages 2 - Split from Manor Farm

jordantaylor

the computers are great when your on a set wage an hour for a certain job and your having to pay for your fuel, it allows you to keep track of what your using every hour and so you can work out what you are really earning every hour.

when i was on the spuds i was on £38.50 hour but when its taking you an hour to get from yard to field with 16ton of spuds behind £38.50 does not last long when your paying for the fuel

You mean he charges you for the diesel you use doing his work ?

i'm glad i'm not the only one not getting this !

sorry but thats like my boss saying he has to deduct the fuel used from my wages ?

i'm on say for £400 per week , but the lorry i drive uses at least £250 of diesel a day ! 

that now means i'd owe my boss £850 ?

& i know my wages arnt £1650pw before costs

or have i not understood whats going on ?

basically we get paid enough to cover our fuel costs.

becouse he doesnt own all the tractors and doesnt have enough fuel tank room for 35 odd tractors working 24/7 we have to pay for our fuel and take our own fuel bowsers.

remember im only 16 and i dont fully undersand it either, as long as im earning money and not losing it im happy

Just be careful he don't shaft you in some way  :police: I wouldn't be too keen on it, But surely the extra money he pays you and your work mates would pay for a 10 - 15000 litre fuel store

I may be missing something but I'm not sure what the fuss is about - it sounds pretty reasonable to me.

The lad is getting 38.50 per hour and taking home 15 per hour. that sounds a lot more than min wage and what i got at the age of 16 about 15 years ago (2.70 an hour I think). That leaves him 23.50 for diesel per hour or 36 litres per hour which if anything sounds pretty thirsty for a modern tractor.

I'd make hay while the sun shines as I doubt many 16 year olds are on 16/hour today.

I may be missing something but I'm not sure what the fuss is about - it sounds pretty reasonable to me.

The lad is getting 38.50 per hour and taking home 15 per hour. that sounds a lot more than min wage and what i got at the age of 16 about 15 years ago (2.70 an hour I think). That leaves him 23.50 for diesel per hour or 36 litres per hour which if anything sounds pretty thirsty for a modern tractor.

I'd make hay while the sun shines as I doubt many 16 year olds are on 16/hour today.

The 335 magnum that i drive drinks 54-60 litres per hour on a 6m mashico traveling at about 10kph and has a 640 litre fuel tank.At 60 pence per litre =£384 a day,i wouldn't want to pay that each day before starting work  :of :of

I'm not sure I'd stick a 16 year old on a 300hp+ machine myself - but, yes, at this rate he'd only just break even on a 10 hour day - but if he stretches to a 12hr day then he's still pocketing 75 per day (or 6.25 an hour - just over min wage for an adult). And he's getting some great experience driving big kit. So I'd still go for it.

the contractor paid that, im on £3.60 hour working for griffiths on apprentaship rates so working for the contractor was like i was earning gold and to be fair the tractor was only running when on the road and when i was tipping up and loading the planters in the field so i was on an average of £6.50 a day

a  massive improvment from griffiths. to most of you boys £6.50 is probably nothing but to me it was a superb wage when doing anywhere from 10-15 hour days

I'm not sure I'd stick a 16 year old on a 300hp+ machine myself - but, yes, at this rate he'd only just break even on a 10 hour day - but if he stretches to a 12hr day then he's still pocketing 75 per day (or 6.25 an hour - just over min wage for an adult). And he's getting some great experience driving big kit. So I'd still go for it.

i was acompanied by somebody most of the time esspecially on the road so i wasnt on my own really

the contractor paid that, im on £3.60 hour working for griffiths on apprentaship rates so working for the contractor was like i was earning gold and to be fair the tractor was only running when on the road and when i was tipping up and loading the planters in the field so i was on an average of £6.50 a day

a  massive improvment from griffiths. to most of you boys £6.50 is probably nothing but to me it was a superb wage when doing anywhere from 10-15 hour days

I can see where you're coming from there as we have an apprentice at work now on £3.57 an hour, not a lot of money especially when he has to travel every day as well but as he says at least he's learning and has work whch helps with his college assignments unlike several of his group there. Its also the only way we can afford to keep him on this early in the year to give him the experience and training he wants after he done well on his trial with us two weeks ago with a view of taking him on just for harvest and irrigation back then. He has been told we will look at putting him on the appropriate rate for an 18 year old as per the old AWB order nearer harvest though.

I can see where you're coming from there as we have an apprentice at work now on £3.57 an hour, not a lot of money especially when he has to travel every day as well but as he says at least he's learning and has work whch helps with his college assignments unlike several of his group there. Its also the only way we can afford to keep him on this early in the year to give him the experience and training he wants after he done well on his trial with us two weeks ago with a view of taking him on just for harvest and irrigation back then. He has been told we will look at putting him on the appropriate rate for an 18 year old as per the old AWB order nearer harvest though.

ahh now there is the difference, griffiths are expecting to keep me on £3.60 hour until im 18, thats another year yet and now i have a car and my lessons coming up and insurance to pay and travel ontop of that is a bit of a mickey taker, im not doing the work i want either, all ive really done since october is store work which is rather tedious as i explained when i went for the job that i wanted to try my hand at everything both on the yard and in the field