Kidd single chop

Dan

I have recently brought myself a kidd single chop forager/flail. I just wondered if anyone had any pictures or any info on them as i cant seem to find anything on them. Iam also after a few bits for it as well, so also wondered if anyone knew of where i could get some parts from or if anyone knew of an old kidd for sale in the chester area. Any help would be much appreciated.  :)

• 2 weeks later...

well bit of an update for you , i have now got the flails i needed Dad went to a local farm that use one for zero grazing and let us have 3 from his spares  :)  big thanks to them. Got some new blades and i hope to have it going soon topping some grass  ;D . Iam still after some pictures if anyone has any i would be realy greatfull so i can see what mine is missing.

Depends how well you know chester realy , pulford area not far from the ( grosvenor garden centre ) most people have heard of that  :)  ohh ryt fair enough , is there any common problems then as you had experience with one ?

i live by beeston castle .. just outside tarporley..

Ohh right , sort of know the area not well though, i go to beeston market sometimes , for the wednesday 1st of the month sales the machinery ones.

Yea seen a few that have rotted , mine is not to bad realy just has 1 small bit that i plan to patch.

• 1 year later...

I have recently brought myself a kidd single chop forager/flail. I just wondered if anyone had any pictures or any info on them as i cant seem to find anything on them. Iam also after a few bits for it as well, so also wondered if anyone knew of where i could get some parts from or if anyone knew of an old kidd for sale in the chester area. Any help would be much appreciated. :)

Offset or in line? I'd love to see some pictures. They were a very well made machine. On the farm where I lived we had an in line one powered by a Ford 4000. It had a "Slam hitch" on the back but we could never get on with it and it was always dragging the ground in ruts. We actually made silage with this machine. It was replaced by a JF side mounted forager,

I just wish I could afford a Classic Combines one for my UH Major!

That's a lovely David brown you've got taz and a nice little forager to go with it

i live by beeston castle .. just outside tarporley..

Am I right in thinking youre a dairy farmer bob? If so do you sell your bull calves through beeston castle Market?

• 1 month later...

I seem to remember these also being used to cut hay. Some were used on the newer types of grass such as Italian Ryegrass; introduced in the late sixties and early seventies. The idea was to break open the stalks to help it dry quicker. Sort of an early idea of a mower conditioner. The flap half way up the chute re directed the grass back on to the ground. On the farm where I lived, we also used to cut the grass with a mower, leave it to wilt and then pick it up with the forager. Silaging kit consisted of a Ford 4000 on the forager, two Wheatley three ton trailers with silage sides, a Ford 3000 on the clamp with a Paterson Buckrake and two men on the clamp with forks!!!!!!! We did make some really good silage though. 

Your machine looks to be in fairly good condition for its age, but then Kidd equipment generally was well made. 

One of Kidd's less successful machines was the "Ultimow" It was a mower conditioner with two, three fingered cutters, like a skeleton drum with a spiked drum to lift and batter the outgoing grass. I never saw one work, so I don't know what the problem was with them.