Gearbox: CVT or manual?

JoshParkinson

I hear this question come up a lot, there's the benfits of the manual gearbox often being they are cheaper, simpler, but can be a lot more bulky, however with CVT i hear people having problems, and yet every CVT i've driven has been so smooth and nice to drive, and often reduces driver fatigue not having to haul a gear stick about all the time, just wondering what everybody else thinks?

would rather a manual or powershift / semi when using trailers as your on the brakes all the time with cvt/vario but for field work they are very good for jobs such as baling as you keep the revs and can go at the balers pace not the gears/revs pace

yeah i've heard that about baling tractors, i also find CVT is good for acceleration, i'm in the fen so i wouldn't know but i've heard they're not very good on hills as you have no gears to drop down and keep your revs maintained

yeah i've heard that about baling tractors, i also find CVT is good for acceleration, i'm in the fen so i wouldn't know but i've heard they're not very good on hills as you have no gears to drop down and keep your revs maintained

Most of decent varios are fitted with exhaust brakes which can use and I've normaly found very rarely need to touch the brakes if sensible drive.  There no different for engine braking then a manual box.  And when going up hill they drop back just like a manual depends on your settings as to how much the computer lets revs fall back before lowering gear ratio

Most of decent varios are fitted with exhaust brakes which can use and I've normaly found very rarely need to touch the brakes if sensible drive.  There no different for engine braking then a manual box

yeah, also having driven john deere autopowr i didn't touch the clutch all day as you can just use the brakes, i find that a good feature

yeah, also having driven john deere autopowr i didn't touch the clutch all day as you can just use the brakes, i find that a good feature

Just dont use autopower for engine braking. :laugh:  Not gonna start colour war or slagging match.  Theres no real comparision between manual and CVT.  A good CVT is as efficient as a powershift gearbox with a lot more things possible.  Everything a manual can do a vario can do and better.  Comes down to what operator prefers

Just dont use autopower for engine braking. :laugh:  Not going to start colour war or slagging match.  Theres no real comparision between manual and CVT.  A good CVT is as efficient as a powershift gearbox with a lot more things possible.  Everything a manual can do a vario can do and better.  Comes down to what operator prefers

yeah, i do like CVTs it's just i hear they have a lot of problems, never driven one full time only done odd days on them, so i'm not too sure really

Its all i've mainly driven for last 4+ years first had Fendt 818 (with days on 926 and 930) for 18months plus and 2500+ hrs (had 3000 on when I got on it) if not more and never went wrong best tractor I've had pleasure of driving.  Here have a JD 7530 ap the ideas there with the gearbox but I wont say anything else! Driven range other varios from Case NH Claas etc and like them all.  Dont get me wrong like powershifts but your never in the right gear to get best from the tractor or machine behind

Its all i've mainly driven for last 4+ years first had Fendt 818 (with days on 926 and 930) for 18months plus and 2500+ hrs (had 3000 on when I got on it) if not more and never went wrong best tractor I've had pleasure of driving.  Here have a JD 7530 ap the ideas there with the gearbox but I wont say anything else! Driven range other varios from Case NH Claas etc and like them all.  Dont get me wrong like powershifts but your never in the right gear to get best from the tractor or machine behind

Yeah that's what i find, i especially like New Holland Auto Command, that's the best CVT i've driven, mind you i haven't driven a fendt yet so we will see when i finally get on one of them, since there's plenty round here

I think you'll find that the Auto Command gearbox is not much different control wise compared to Fendt's Vario. The only difference is that the Auto Command is easier to use. Fendt is also not difficult but takes some learning before you go out. There is probably more in the Vario if you really explore every function but nearly nobody bothers with that.

I think you have started a good debate here Josh  ;D

Well I have driven CVT, powershift and semi powershifts, and for the trailer work the CVT was brilliant, however I do like the feeling of pushing a tractor through the powershift steps, especially if she has some weight on and it makes her grunt a bit  ;D

As for driver fatigue, a CVT is much better on jobs such as bailing etc, but for a lot of jobs I dont think that a modern powershift is bad to use, then again I spend a lot of my time on powershifts

I've never driven a fendt so I couldnt comment on them, but the dyna-vt in MF's isnt bad at all

And reliability, well I suppose they will have a few problems as they are fairly "new" (I used that term in a loose sense)

Thats my two penneths worth anyway  :P

Good debate.. sadly I cant comment from a position of strength here really  :-[ .. I've got a Dyna 4 box in my tractor... and although I've clocked up around 1550 hours on her now, I've not used a CVT transmission in anger. I've driven an 8690 and a 7480 around Beauvais airport's surrounding fields... but not had the pleasure of using one properly.

I will say this.. I love my Dyna 4 box.. it's a real pleasure to drive and it's MUCH MUCH improved over the previous speedshift box I had in my 5445  :-[ ... that was positively nasty when compared to the Robotic box Hattie has  :-[

Well Now!

The first time I drove a CVT tractor, (MF Dyna VT) I hated it! Couldn't understand the bloody thing and couldn't get her to go right! After 10 min or so and been shown how to get the best from it I loved it! Wouldn't look back Dyna 4, just so smooth...

Only ever drove her about the yard and drew silage with a wheelborrow on the back of and a baby tanker so didn't really get to see her perform at her best, But from what I did I loved it!

Since then I've mostly been in NH's with Range Command, (Powershift box). Its a nice box too but the only thing I don't like about it is when you have to change down a range going uphill etc. As you loose a lot of power and speed, and can be quite worrying at time if shes going to take the gear or stall!  :'( 

I think its Power Command? in NH's were there are no ranges as such? Just straight up and straight down? I think that would suit better at times.

But all in all, If I was going to buy a Tractor tomorrow, I'd say A CVT box would be a strong contender.  ;)