Dan and the DB's

Dan

Got a few pics from saturday first off was abit of a tidy up at home moving some old wheels that have accumulated here over the last few months. As my DB was still at my uncles from cutting the grass had to use Dads DB.

001uns.jpg

005msg.jpg

006myd.jpg

Then was a trip to my grandads to pick up some paving he doesnt want

007xr.jpg

Then i went & Fetched my DB from the farm and on the way back i had abit of an incident  :-\  at some point the exhaust manifold has been welded up, well where it was welded its broke it then fell into the fan breaking up the fan (fan on mine is plastic which i think has helped, think a metal fan may have caused more damage),which has then damaged the radiator  :(

012du.jpg

013blh.jpg

very nice pictures there

that looks bad are you going to get the radiator fixed or just get a new one

Cheers , not realy sure yet. There is a place not far from me that repairs them so am going to see what they think is the best thing to do. New ones arnt cheap  :-

It will cost in the region of £120 + vat to have the radiator re-cored but you will, at the end of the day have a new rad anyway to all intense and purposes and it should be guaranteed. A new one would be more money and in finding a new one from a supplier or the likes of eBay and those 'supposed' tractor parts suppliers/sellers might be difficult because a lot of 'new' D.B. parts available from these suppliers are nowhere near correct and won't fit, this is just a word of warning. As for the fan blade and the manifold, get these from a breacker, the likes of Stephen Marsden or better still, Barcley Williams, they advertise in the magazines, CT and T&M. Make sure you get the same type of fan, with the same number of blades as the old one. The manifold from a 770, 780, 880, 885 and 1190 will fit as all the 3 cylinder manifolds are the same. Bit of a bummer that little 'incedent', something you could have done without!

It will cost in the region of £120 + vat to have the radiator re-cored but you will, at the end of the day have a new rad anyway to all intense and purposes and it should be guaranteed. A new one would be more money and in finding a new one from a supplier or the likes of eBay and those 'supposed' tractor parts suppliers/sellers might be difficult because a lot of 'new' D.B. parts available from these suppliers are nowhere near correct and won't fit, this is just a word of warning. As for the fan blade and the manifold, get these from a breacker, the likes of Stephen Marsden or better still, Barcley Williams, they advertise in the magazines, CT and T&M. Make sure you get the same type of fan, with the same number of blades as the old one. The manifold from a 770, 780, 880, 885 and 1190 will fit as all the 3 cylinder manifolds are the same. Bit of a bummer that little 'incedent', something you could have done without!

:-\  well yea i would like to keep the radiator as you said , you get parts that are meant to fit but are no where near. Although i had wondered about getting a new manifold for it though. Ok thanks for the advice on who to use. The fan though all others i have seen had metal fans & mine had a plastic one. Yea it realy is, another set back  :-\  its all experience though just the cost thats the bummer

• 3 weeks later...

Bit of an update no picture's at the moment though, Have had the radiator recored & that is good as new  :D  also have a new manifold & exhaust elbow now fitted ,just having some problems with the fan as the plastic one we got wont fit in the radiator cowling  :-\  so now its wether to try & get a smaller diameter fan ,not sure we can or take the radiator cowling off because all the other DB's i have seen dont have this but iam sure it had the cowling for a reason so dont realy want to take it off if it needs to be there. 

You will need to get the right size fan blade, about 1/2 an inch smaller all the way round the cowling, meaning to say that the overall diameter of the fan is an inch smaller than the inside diameter of the cowling. All the D.B. radiators had this cowling on the radiator, it was a safetey feature but more importantly aided better flow of air to the engine for efficient cooling.

Take note, if there was a spacer plate between the fan and the pulley, put it back on with the new fan. Not all the plastic fans had the spacer plate fitted as the hub of the fan was thicker, it was mostly fitted to the ones with the metal fan, single bladed ones but not the double blade ones. All the double blade fans were basically 2 singles positioned at right-angles to each other. If you have difficulty finding a plastic fan then you have an alternative to be able to fit the earlier double metal one. The fan from a 770, 780, 880 and 885 will fit or from a 1190 and the 3 cylinder 880 Implematic also but as I say, measure the diameter of the cowl to make sure you get the right one.

• 4 weeks later...

1st off sorry i havent updated the topic lately  :-\  but have been busy at my summer job

Few updates , i have the 880 backtogether & going well  8)  & i recently brought myself another DB  ::)  wanted something abit bigger , so have got myself a 1210  :)  got it home, all was well ................. as usual in my world not for long  :'(  she started knoking , so had the sump off & 1 of the big ends had come loose  ??? . So i now have the head off as 1 of the piston rings had broken, so have decided to fit new rings & shells whilst i have it all apart. Would have some pics But my main PC is broke  :(  dont think ive broke any mirrors recently  :-\

great topic chap, bit of a soft spot for the DB's got a lovely distinctive exhaust note & always enjoyed working them  :)  look forward to the 1210 pictures.  2 or 4wd ?

Thanks  :)  aye specially with 1 of the exhausts i have gives it a nice bark , but isnt to noisy to get annoyed with  8) . The 1210 is only 2wd, i would have no need for 4wd realy & it just makes it all more expencive  :-\  maybe the next DB will be 4WD  ;D  hopefully the new PC will be back this week so ill get some pics up if i get time  ;)

Well after the PC comeing back with no files on it  >:(  when i was promised they would be saved i recaled how i backed up some pics a while back  ;)  so here we go

After the plaver we had getting the last DB home & the distance & the health of me Dads landy it seemed a much better idea to get a hauiler in. He could drive as well wernt sure if heed get it into the farm where we collected the tractor as it was Very tight but no bother  8)  ,round the small welsh lanes we met a hummer  :of  chance's of that  :laugh:

1210 was brought after i decided i wanted something abit bigger than the 880 being abit of a DB fan now  :P  after some weighing up of the options i decided on a 1210 buying this one as it seemed a good tractor & straight tin work & no damage to little things i missed on other buys.

picture001rh.jpg

Cant remember the date , couple off weekends back , when i got the radiator back on my 880 me & Dad decided to go for a little run out on the 880's

picture001rq.jpg

All the white DB's together  :)  They all need work , most people would do 1 up & then decide to get another 1 but meh  :P  these will keep me busy for a while now. Bar the bonnet my 880 ( middle 1 ) & the lights just need wireing & the frame going on it will be as finnished as it's ever going to get  :-\

picture004aw.jpg

picture015gh.jpg

Comment's & any questions welcomed  :)

• 2 weeks later...

you have got a good collection now mate it is like a bug these tractors  :P

Next you will be looking for a 90 serries tractor

Thanks  :)  , yea it is, an expencive bug mind  :laugh:  hmmm a 90 series ...........be a while before i buy anything else , got plans to do these up abit more first  ;)  ( ive said that before mind )