Storing brochures

A practical question for you brochure collectors. As we all know the American A4 size or US Letter size, whatever you want to call them, is a little bigger than the UK/European brochures. The problem is that you can't store them in the normal plastic holders/sleaves/pockets. How do you get round this problem? I assume they have these plastic folders in the US as well. Probably best to order them from there?

What I do now is slice open the side of a normal A4 size one and stick the brochure in there. Hold it in place with a paperclip. But this isn't the best solution and if you have many US style brochures it takes ages to get done.

Any solutions for this problem? Your help would be greatly appriciated as I am getting fed up with cutting up the plastic folders  :P

Niels... Our local supermarket stocks the right size mate... in fact... most UK suppliers stock the correct size... I believe the sizes are called... Letter/Legal (or possibly even foolscap) for the US and A4 for the UK type... I've found that most of the wallets they call A4 are in actual fact US 'letter' size.

Asda and Tesco are my current source... if you want me to get you some I can bring them along to Zwolle.... or possibly even Spalding if I get the chance to pop up  ;)

I bought my "sheet protectors" in US letter size on Ebay in the USA. I bought 500 in one sale, so the shipping costs were relative low.. The UK seems a lot cheaper to me, especially as Mark takes them to Zwolle  ;) . I have searched a long time in the Netherlands, but they aren't for sale over here.

BUT I have the following problem, what binder do you use? My US letter doesn't fit in a regular 2 or 4 rings binder, because they have 3 punch holes  >:(

I also get them from either ebay US or friends in the US. Lettersize / 8"x11" sheet protectors they are called. I use a 2 hole puncher and have the big 2ring binders they use for bookkeeping. Hema etc. provide those. I have found letter size sheet protectors in Holland as well but found the price outrages at almost 1 euro per sheet!!! Never knew they are also available in the UK. I better make a visit to Tesco or Asda next time i am in the UK.. ;)

I have found this problem with the later multi fold-out David Brown brochures. Wheather it was intentional or just a coincedence, they are just that smidgin wider than standard A4 and when inserted into the normal document protection sleeve, they will not lay flat. Having said that, it is mainly the W.H Smith 'branded' sleeves that this relates to but the non-branded generic sleeves are ok, perhaps Smiths sleeves are made not quite so 'generous'.

Thank you all for the reply's. Very helpful  :) It seems a good idea ordering from the US but the three holes is indeed very annoying! Plus I assume Tesco's or ASDA are cheaper. Will probably pop over to the UK anytime soon and try to have a look round. If not I will call upon your services Lord F  :P .

I currently buy them at Dutch store Hema for €4.50 per 500 (works out at about £3.00). Lever arch files are € 1.25 but they 'only' hold about 50 to 60 brochures. That amounts up to 180 files for my collection  :-\ . Plus a spare room needed to store them all!

i am storing my brochures in plastic sealable boxes at the moment, no folders etc  The main reason for this is lack of storage space. I have not sealed the boxes though allowing air to circulate. As i have been scanning also [pdf],about 4GB so far at 300dpi [per page] at the moment i can view any brochure i wish at short notice.  This also means i do not handle any materials when viewing a brochure. It takes a lot of time to scan material of course. I have backed up all my scanned material so far.  I still need to make a jpeg copy of each cover which would be of assistance in identifing what version of a brochure i have.  I expect that many members have a similar method but i would be interested to know what these methods of storage are and what their comments if any are on electronic storage of complete collections.

Well Katana... I'm the same as you buddy - you've pretty much described my system in your post.

I've scanned most of my collection from front to back in 300dpi (currently at about 30gb  :of ) ... and I always save a copy of the front page as a .JPEG file too for quick access and uploading to the web for storage (I have all my front pages on a photobucket account... over 2,000 of them at the minute).

You've mentioned backups already... and you are also bang on, so far as I am concerned... I have about 4 copies of my collection dotted around on various PC's at home and work, not to mention portable hard drives too. I also keep a .txt file with a version history on it... I'm currently on version 139 dated 03.08.2011 - that way I can 'track' if I'm on looking at the latest version with whatever PC I am on... I can also track copies I give to my mates (to see how up to date they are) by asking them the file details.

I recently looked on the FOFH website at their archive material... sadly they have scanned their records in such a low resolution that they are barely readable, whilst I can understand why they have done this, I think it's a great shame and they may regret this policy some way down the line. Like you, I don't keep 'fingering' my copies after I have scanned them as I have a copy to view on the screen. The only thing that's lost is the wonderful 'fusty' smell that MF literature has... If you could bottle that I'd wear it as aftershave  :P:D :D

Is that MF 860/850 brochure also an "US letter" size sheet protector? Below a photo of my problem... USA protectors versus European binder.

Yes it is Ronald.. I know the plastic wallets you mean now... they are just not compatible with our European folders are they  :-\

Maybe when I have retired i'll find the time to scan my brochures  ::) . Took me a fair while to get them all in an Excel database to start with, which will do for now. I now know what I have, what make, model, year and how much it cost. Just I haven't got a clue where to find it  ;D

Maybe when I have retired I'll find the time to scan my brochures  ::) . Took me a fair while to get them all in an Excel database to start with, which will do for now. I now know what I have, what make, model, year and how much it cost. Just I haven't got a clue where to find it  ;D

:D :D .... I've done mine in my 'coronation street and Easterners' time... two of the worst programmes on the TV which my wife insists on watching... I've always used this time to doi my scanning... although... It's been a labour of love for sure  :'(

I've searched some on the internet and I found some answers. In the UK they call these wallets "punched pockets" and in the USA "sheet protectors". About the different sizes:

A4 -  210 x 297 mm - 8.27 x 11.69 in

US letter - 216 x 279 mm - 8.5 x 11 in

Legal - 216 x 356 mm - 8.5 x 14 in

Foolscap - 210 x 330 mm - 8.27 x 13 in

Ah.. well done Special agent Ronald... that's the answer then... it's basically the 8.5" width (216mm) that is the critical measurement then... MOST of the punched pockets sold in the UK are actually 216mm then.... despite the fact that they as actually sold as being A4... they are, in actual fact fully compliant with all of the above ... I'm not sure about the height though.... 14" sounds too tall for my punched pockets I think  :-[

• 6 months later...

I store all my brochures in a file cabinet in hanging file folders. I have no problem with all kinds of different sizes . The brochures are out of the light but of course not as easy to view. I will post a picture later. I am trying to photograph my collection so I can start a tread about my collection :)

I do like the hanging folder idea. Was going through some of mine that were stored for a longer time and the wallets start to 'hang' so the bottom of the brochure starts to curl up if you know what I mean. Can get it right of course luckily but still not nice. Or I should move to binders with four iron 'claws' rather than two. Says the chap that has a hundred :-[

I look forward to seeing them then Markus... do you put them in protective wallets as well before filing them ???

no so far I have not put them in protective plastic. But I think that will be my next step. But it will have to be acid free and of arvival quality otherwise I might as well keep them as is. However the problem is that we can not get A4 size sleeves here. Would have to buy them on ebay I guess. When I was a kid I had them all in binders....unfortunatly none of them survived as they got "lost" right about the time I got married (now almost 23 years ago).....I had so many rare Jewels especially Ford and County., Except the countys ,mostly were in German though. Actually somehow about 5 brochures survived, no clue how, but they did. (Pottinger Mex and Claas.)