David Brown 1210 Brochure

katana

I haven't seen too many of those and I think it is an early version for the 1210 4wd models.

I know later brochures from about 1976 on had the 4wd and 2wd versions combined in one brochure.

I am sure Powerrabitt our DB expert will shed further light and tell me I am wrong  ;D:-[

have not seen one like that before

the 1210 itself is rare as it has the (as i call it) ''Straight'' 4wd front axle 

as for £30 odd  that is nothing seen a bog standard DB  990 selectimatic one go for over £100  :of 

thanks for the info....very informative indeed....the reason i asked is that i came across the example in the link posted above    ....i though it was maybe quite difficult to source maybe...i attach my copy[brochure] of the same  model i believe....  i would like to know how to work out the published date please if anybody can help....are there other versions of this 1210 4wd tractor brochure i wonder ?  thank you

post-2893-132639977144_thumb.jpg

post-2893-132639977165_thumb.jpg

This brochure was the first advertising the then 'new' 1210 4WD. early ones had the David Brown front axle and was introduced in the Power Red livery, skid unit and wheels, in 1972 when Tennaco, a division of the Case Company, took over the David Brown tractors division. Soon after these axles were replaced by the Kramer MK1 and then the MK11. Some, but only a handfull, just before the 90 series was introduced in 1980 and showcased at Monte Carlo, were fitted with the Carraro axle. This brochure would date from 1972/3 in this form but there are later 6 and 8 page fold-out colour brochures for this model. I'll look through the brochures I have for more details. Not all the brochures carried a date code, earlier ones did but this was dropped around 1970. An example of the way to read the date code is where the publication number is printed, along side it there was 'DBT 1264', this means that it is December 1964. The brochure pictured I think is a single sheet and the specifications of the tractor is printed on the other side.

No problem Nick. Always willing to help and having quite an extensive archive of all things David Brown, have studied this Company over the many years of farming with the tractors, I also run the Devon branch of the Club. Anyone interested in David Brown, wheather it be just in passing or more serious, when you look into this Company, which was founded in 1860, it gives a very interesting insight into British farming and how David Brown helped it develop, especially from just before the WW11 period. Tractors were not their only manufacturing interest, many other Companies were under their ownership. The War years are of particular interest, they kept this country going in many respects, not only in farming but in the War machine itself  manufacturing and supplying parts and components for all the armed forces. Many modern industrial and even domestic technowledgy would not be where it is now without the David Brown Companies.

The Selectamatic range, or at least the 'name' was dropped from the bonnet decals in 1971/72 which was when the 'bottle-opener' type decals were introduced and these were produced only for about 12 months after which, in late 1972 the livery changed from chocolate to 'power red' when the decals changed to black with the small 'case' at the bonnet rear, the tractors were then known as 'Syncromatic', this was the time when syncromesh was fitted on the second and third gears although the Selectamatic hydraulic system was the same system on all models from 1965 when the white tractors were introduced (October of that year) right up to the end of production at Meltham in 1988 and continued up to the end of the Doncaster built 90 and 94 Series tractors until the first Maxxum which had a different system. Another point that may be of interest also was that when the bottle-opener decals were introduced, a very few had a 'flat' roses plastic emblem badge in the nose instead of the old 'cabbage' rose one, the flat rose badge is rare as it only lasted for 12 months or so as it was deleted, along with the hole for it in the nose and replaced with the decal badge and the gold louvre was deleted also as the headlamps (sealed beam units) were installed in the nose, all the Selectamatics had the sealed beam lamp holes in the nose as these lamps were fitted as standard on export tractors and the UK tractors had a black decal stuck on behind the gold louvre covering these holes.

• 6 months later...

Sorry found this topic a bit late' Axle featured on the brochure (Straight type) is a Selene axle. These were fitted to both 990 and 1210 brown and white tractors. Very few were fitted to orange and white tractors making this brochure an early one. Later brochures in the same graphic style with differing axles and different cabs which help date these. (sorry about the quality of the photographs)

c2b0a6cb.jpg2c6ba7e2.jpg

The front axle on the 1210 in that brochure Lee is the Kramer MK11, a very good, strong and reliable axle, if you looked after and maintained it well, particularly the UJ's on the ends of the wheel driveshafts, to replace these they are £1000 EACH SIDE. The Italian made Selene axle mentioned earlier was available as an option on the 1200, 990 and the 880, I've seen several 1200's and 990's with this axle but never any 880's. I might have mentioned it before but the brochures were date coded up until the end of the chocolate and white models in 1971/72, after that the code was just a publication number. Notice the two different types of front wheel centres in the above brochure.