Sale of a Massey Harris Collection - Forfar on Saturday 3rd December 2011

BC

In the December edition of Vintage Tractor & Countryside Heritage magazine there is an advert for the sale of the late Ian Robertson from Hilton of Guthrie Forfar collection of mainly Massey Harris tractors and implements. It is being conducted at Lawrie & Symington's Mart at Forfar and commences at 10.30 am on Saturday 3rd December 2011. Should be a very interesting sale.

I attended a working day Ian held back in 2008 in the topic below.

http://www.farmtoysforum.com/forum/index.php/topic,23196.0.html

SCAN0226.jpg

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 weeks later...

I hope to be able to attend Graham but may well have to work for part of that day early on so I will have to wait and see what happens. As many will know I'm not really a Massey fan but well these are Harris not Ferguson ;D ;D  and well we will never see a sale of this magnitude of MH's locally again.

Well I hope to get down Mart. I took a consignment of models back up to Graham from the National Tractor Show at Lanark this year and met him at the Forfar Mart. Graham showed me the new building including the canteen and this is where the sale will be held. A very impressive looking hall indeed. Just the place for a "roup" on what could be a cold day in December ;) ;)

Well I hope to get down Mart. I took a consignment of models back up to Graham from the National Tractor Show at Lanark this year and met him at the Forfar Mart. Graham showed me the new building including the canteen and this is where the sale will be held. A very impressive looking hall indeed. Just the place for a "roup" on what could be a could day in December ;) ;)

Aye they've made a great job of it, keep the cald wind away - certainly wild enough here at the minute anyway!

I'm not long back from a very enjoyable day at the sale which was held in the recently constructed exhibition hall which was nice and warm for a December's day. I would say the prices achieved for the late Ian Robertson's tractors were very good and I'm currently uploading 80 odd photos which include them and inputs which included a fair number of models and brochures and signs etc as well as tractors and implements. I had a chat with Graham the auctioneer who waved me in a little earlier than the official viewing opening time of 8.30 am. Graham  estimated the sale would last until around 3pm or 3.30pm and well he was not far wrong since I was driving out of the mart gates bang on 3.30pm.

Did I buy anything ...well no apart from a late lunch which consisted of a ham and cheese roll, can of tango and a Mars bar for sweet ;) ;)

Photos and prices will follow later or more likely tomorrow.

There was a lot of history to this said tractor and was rescued from a scrap yard in 1962 from Forfar where it was sold at the Mart today. It went to Rora near Peterhead before it was burnt in a farm fire hence the new tyres. Bought and restored by the late Ian Robertson in 1997 and said to be one of the last 3 remaining of this model.

Yes I will accept that as a bid Mark and keep the difference to myself ;) ;)

JF ...don't know guv but there were a few English sounding accents there and one chap with a baseball cap with Starting Handle - Norfolk who bought one of the tractors

Yes I will accept that as a bid Mark and keep the difference to myself ;) ;)

JF ...don't know guv but there were a few English sounding accents there and one chap with a baseball cap with Starting Handle - Norfolk who bought one of the tractors

Ah I see Bill... perhaps the Norfolk guy was the same chap who bought the Hundy collection as well... and the owner of the real TE20 in Rochester Airport livery

Hi Mark,

John Farnworth , his son and Malcolm Robinson were all there together , they came up on Thursday night !

Bill the chap you saw was - Mr Parke from Norfolk and he bought the 201.

Thanks Graham... a really nice and very enjoyable sale and I'm looking forward to the next one I heard about taking place in the Spring of 2012 which includes Nuffield's, Leyland's and Marshall's... maybe time for me to drive down in my 1957 Nuffield DM4  and cash her in :-\

Only 52 miles down so at an average MPH of 18 should only take around 3 hours including a stop at Strathcathro for a food and comfort break ;D ;D

Hi Mark,

John Farnworth , his son and Malcolm Robinson were all there together , they came up on Thursday night !

Bill the chap you saw was - Mr Parke from Norfolk and he bought the 201.

Hi graham... Thanks for that.. I did send John a link to this auction... Which was a bit daft really.. Pretty much anything MH that moves is on john's radar anyway ... I wonder what he bought  :P