Sale of a Massey Harris Collection - Forfar on Saturday 3rd December 2011

BC

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think that first one is possibly the wrong shade of red for John F Bill ... He's got an incredible collection of MH and MF tractors.. Not much he doesn't have with the MH Logo on it really I'd say... VERY comprehensive indeed.

Two nice looking machines there though mate  :P

Does he have a museum Mark or just allow interested parties to view his collection ???

Ok back to the rather nice maroon examples in my last post.... anyone want to estimate the hammer price for the Super BWD6 and the Farmall M ???

Mark,

John and Malcom both went home with empty trailers - they bought some small items and John was underbidder on the last tractor - the Challenger that Bill posted photos of !

I too went home with an empty trailer...mind you thinking back I did not take a trailer with me....the Farmall's would have been too heavy even if they had been cheap enough for me  ;D ;D

Oh dear graham... That's a great shame then  :'(  Poor John and Malcolm

John is a pretty private guy really ... But I think he'd welcome anyone over for a look who has a genuine interest. Both him and his wife Moira are lovely people.. I've had the pleasure of visiting them twice and both times I have been spoilt rotten with lunch, tea and cakes  :P

John is my real hero in this hobby really... He's forgotten more about MF than I will ever learn I reckon .. His books are a MUST have for anyone with an interest in Ferguon, MH and MF

Oh dear graham... That's a great shame then  :'(  Poor John and Malcolm

John is a pretty private guy really ... But I think he'd welcome anyone over for a look who has a genuine interest. Both him and his wife Moira are lovely people.. I've had the pleasure of visiting them twice and both times I have been spoilt rotten with lunch, tea and cakes  :P

John is my real hero in this hobby really... He's forgotten more about MF than I will ever learn I reckon .. His books are a MUST have for anyone with an interest in Ferguon, MH and MF

Ferguon....you on "Sean beer" or something tonight Mark ;D ;D ;D

Yesterday the sale  sale kicked off at 10.230 am and started with literature and spares belonging to the late Ian Robertson.

There were quite a few lots of tractor magazines including Ferguson Heritage, Wild Harvest Massey Collectors News, Old Tractor, Classic Tractor and Tractor and Machinery.

ST839225.jpg

Lot 1 which was Ferguson Heritage Magazines from June 2002 to Feb 2005 made £ 28 and the second lot which was from February 2005 to June 2010 made £ 10.

Classic Tractor and Tractor and Machinery lots were by year and included 12 issue and most lots made £ 1 which was cheap for anyone wanting back issues.

Next there were brochures and manuals

ST839220.jpg

ST839223.jpg

International items sold well yesterday.

Lot 44 for an International T6 & TD6 parts catalogue made £40

Lot 46 for an International T6 & TD6 attachments manual & International date made £ 75

Lot 47 for an International T6 crawler & TD6 Parts and service book chart made £ 65

In addition there was some David Brown and Ferguson stuff

Lot 48 was a DB 25D instruction book and made £ 40 whilst lot 54 was a Ferguson system brochure and made £45.

ST839224.jpg

Lot No 73 was a period poster M-H Pacemaker and Challenger and tractor tractors and made £ 55.

ST839221.jpg

Lot No 74 was a period poster M-H Pacemaker and Challenger and tractor tractors and made £ 180.

ST839222.jpg

Some of the models for sale from 3rd parties

ST839219.jpg

ST839217.jpg

The sale hall next to the new exhibition hall held some of Ian's implements, his crawlers and some some 3rd party implements.

Some of the 3rd party implements.

Ransomes spinner potato digger

ST839242.jpg

A fire engine cart

ST839241.jpg

Some of Ian's implements

A couple of M-H grain drillers

ST839240.jpg

I spoke to a Massey Ferguson tractor from Brechin who was keen on this Massey Ferguson 712 FYM spreader. I did not see it sold but he said his last bid was £ 440. It seemed in reasonable condition however the wood would have need renewing for a proper restoration job.

ST839239.jpg

I did not see what Ian's tattie digger made.

ST839235.jpg

Or this rather incomplete tractor although someone said it made £ 280 but was missing some important parts like pistons etc ;) ;)

ST839234.jpg

Lot 475 was a Massey Harris 701 baler from the 1950's and made £ 600. This baler had the unusual feature of producing bales on edge

ST839238.jpg

Lot 476 was a Massey Ferguson 701 baler made in 1958 and is powered by a Siddley Armstrong diesel engine. It sold at £ 1,900.

ST839237.jpg

ST839236.jpg

On to some tracked machines.

I'm not sure about this one and it may not even have been Ian's one.

ST839229.jpg

The next three crawlers were from Ian's collection

A 1950 International TD6 crawler made in 1950. It was purchased new and was used on Conveth Mains at  laurencekirk before Ian bought it at the farm sale in 1999. These crawlers start on petrol and then switch to diesel so they have a row of spark plugs on one side of the engine and a row of injectors on the other.

It was partially complete and sold at £ 1,500

ST839232.jpg

Before Ian's wheeled tractors were sold there were some inputs from a 3rd parties

A 1967 Nuffiled 10/60 made £ 2,500

ST839184.jpg

It next door neighbour belonging to a father and son team was a 1978 Leyland 272 synchro which failed to sell at £ 3,600

ST839185.jpg

A 1964 Fordson Super Dexta sold at £ 3,000

ST839186.jpg

A 1964 MF 35 X with a half track cit made  £ 2,800

ST839191.jpg

ST839193.jpg

A 1954 Llandini L25 single cylinder diesel hot bulb tractor was but to £ 3,700 but failed to meet its reserve.

This tractor need heating with a propane gas burner before starting.

ST839192.jpg

An International 414 tractor need some TLC sold at £ 800

ST839194.jpg

Apologies for the quality of pictures but it was a little dark first thing plus I had a dirty lenses and forgot to view and try and fix before I loaded to Photobucket. Anyway I'm sure you will get an idea of the condition of the tractors and drawn your own opinions on the prices realised.

Still interested in seeing the rest of Ian's tractors... ??? ...

First up from the wheeled tractors from the late Ian's collection

1958 International Super BWD 6 made in 1958 sold at £ 4,400

ST839171.jpg

1949 International Farmall M made £ 5,000

Like the TD6 crawler this originally came from Conveth Mains in Laurencekirk where it spent most of its working life.

ST839170.jpg

Apologies for the quality of pictures but it was a little dark first thing plus I had a dirty lenses and forgot to view and try and fix before I loaded to Photobucket. Anyway I'm sure you will get an idea of the condition of the tractors and drawn your own opinions on the prices realised.

Still interested in seeing the rest of Ian's tractors... ??? ...

No complaints from me Bill... thanks for posting and please keep up the good work  :P:-*

The first Massey Harris was a MH 444 and sold at £ 900

Seemed rather cheap but well I'm no expert on this brand

ST839169.jpg

Next was a MH French Pony with a diesel engine. In the catalogue it said it would only start with a pull since there was grit in the starter. It sold at £ 1,500

ST839168.jpg

No complaints from me Bill... thanks for posting and please keep up the good work  :P:-*

I'm having some problems with connections today Mark so I'm only going to post 2 photos per post in case I lose the historical narrative as well.

M-H - 745 was made in 1954 for Australia and has a Perkins engine. It sold for £ 3,900

ST839167.jpg

M-H - 745D made in 1955 and was the last model of the MH to be made in Britain and has a Perkins L4 engine.

It sold for £ 7,600

ST839166.jpg

M-H - 744 PD made in 1950. This was the first model of the MH tractors to be built in Britain and has a Perkins P6.

It sold for £ 10,000

ST839165.jpg