Niels' Farm Blog 2012

Niels

Next years blog  

18 members have voted

1. 1. What should next years blog be about?

• The same farm, with the David Browns
    • My father in laws farm (Fiat, NH, Steyr)
    • My own job as a sales representative with New Holland
    • None!

I knew you would come up with this ;D . I like to do a decent job and it took me enough time to keep up with this one during the year. Hence why I didn't opt for two or three blogs. Also I wonder if some people might lose interest if they find the whole Farm Talk section filled with my topics ::)

I think you should keep the DB's as you don't see many doing the work that your family do with them and you also keep them very clean its a credit to your family I would like to see this blog running into the new year

Thank you for your kind words Robert. However, I should point out this is not my family. The farmer is just a dear friend of mine and I help out whenever I have some spare time or when he needs a hand. He, his brother and sister make sure the tractors and machinery is kept clean and well maintained and they are a real credit to them.

• 4 weeks later...

Well, it wasn't the last update of the year. Some more stuff happened on the farm.

IMG_9359Small.jpg

Early December we had a frost so we ploughed some of the light land. This field was onions and will be potatoes next year. Deutz and 3 furrow plough doing it's job.

Sorteerder1.jpg

A new piece of kit on the farm! Although it is probably at least thirty years old this 'new' grader is welcomed on the farm. The old one was about to collapse so another one came in very handy indeed. It plays quite an important role grading potatoes and onions on the farm for wholesalers, farm shops and little supermarkets.

Sorteerder2.jpg

The other side, with the guards removed. We greased her up, checked the bearings, tensioned the chains etc..

Sorteerder3.jpg

After some angle grinding and welding it now suits our needs and is a lot quieter and better working than the old one!

• Like 1

Foto1-4.jpg

A small update from yesterday. Drain jetting (cleaning drains) after heavy rainfall with the Case 1294 and Sieger drain cleaner.

Foto2-4.jpg

The reel holds about 450m of plastic piping. At the end there's a metal head with a water jet going forward, to cut through the drain, and multiple jets at the back to propel it forward and rinse all the dirt out.

Foto3-3.jpg

We had plenty of rainfall, like they did in the UK, and as you can see the drain jetting was really needed. This field is owned by someone else and will be rented for potatoes next year. The drains are about 30 years old and of the plastic type. Drain jetting is usually done every 4 or 5 years.

And that's it. The final update for 2012 :) .

Edited by Niels

Sean: You see those machines over here as well, often with a water bowser attached, for municipal work.

John: We had well over a 1000mm this year but you get a build up of iron ore and some soil in the pipes which blokes them. Sometimes also plant roots and the like, especially as they get older. Most plastic pipes have a cover of coconut fibre rather than a trench with stones. (As we don't mole plough). Drainage over here is always straight pipes so you can jet them, not the herringbone system.