Grange Farm

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry for not uploading any pictures. As I have already said I've been very busy with other things leaving no time for my model farm. I went and got some more PVA Glue yesterday, and this afternoon if lazienest dosen't prevail I hope to build up the terrain and have some pictures uploaded by this evening! :)

Edited by RG110man

I unfortunately haven't done anything today. And before you ask it wasn't because of laziness! I have decided that it would be wiser to map out my layout on the boards during the week, and then I hope to go to hobby craft at the weekend to get the grass materials and foliage. I also think I'm going to make my hills and terrain out of paper mache or plaster(I haven't decided yet!). I know people can get away with using cheap methods such as using loo roll, cardboard and pva glue, but I feel a good effect using this method can only be achieved with great patience and skill fullness(Both of which I haven't got much of!)

As I said during the week I hope to plan out my layout. Pics will be uploaded as I start mapping it out!

Edited by RG110man

Has just been to hobbycraft to buy some plaster cloth and woodland scenic's landscaping starter pack. Didn't want to buy too much of anything without knowing I was confident with using it.

I really hope to start mapping out the layout tommorow, and fingers crossed can make a start on plaster clothing the hills!

I have just finished drawing up the plans for my layout. Would of uploaded some pictures but the camera wouldn't pick up enough detail. Hope to start on the hills after Lunch, then hopefully I can start landscaping/painting them when I get home from school tommorow. :)

Edited by RG110man

Nice work, hun. Wish I'd read your post before, as I could have put this up for you:

ps might be helpful for any future projects I suppose. I'm a huge fan of plaster cloth and use it for everything from tractor tracks to hills. If you ever put a water feature on it though, make sure you seal it well, otherwise simulated water products leak right through it (we used varnish).

HillStep1.jpg

HillStep2.jpg

HillStep3.jpg

HillStep5.jpg

HillStep7.jpg

HillStep9.jpg

Edited by Lady Ferguson

Thanks Lady Ferguson. I really like the finished product! I actually plan to have a pond just like this on my layout. Though I have to say that I basically did what the pictures are showing!!! I scrunched up newspaper into a mushroom shape and covered it with plaster cloth. Then I rubbed the plaster cloth until smooth. I have some landscaping materials and brown paint I can use when it's dried tommorow.

I think I might put some hills around the other edges after I've added some fields. Will have to see how much space I have. Though I do have another board primed ready so it wont be the end of the world If I cant't fit any more on this board ! :)

I really like the finished product! I actually plan to have a pond just like this on my layout.

Hope you don't mind me asking, but did you make this yourself?

PS. Oh. and thanks for the tip about using something to seal the boards. Will be very useful for my pond. I think I might line it with some putty perhaps? Or do you think I should only use putty for murky lakes that you can't see through?

What do you think?

Edited by RG110man

Thanks Pete. The only past experience I've had with plaster cloth was at school when we made these masks in art. Can't say it was my favourite material back then. Must be one of those things that you don't like at first and then grows on you :)

There should be more pics as I start landscaping it with turf and paint.

Thanks Lady Ferguson. I really like the finished product! I actually plan to have a pond just like this on my layout. Though I have to say that I basically did what the pictures are showing!!! I scrunched up newspaper into a mushroom shape and covered it with plaster cloth. Then I rubbed the plaster cloth until smooth. I have some landscaping materials and brown paint I can use when it's dried tommorow.

I think I might put some hills around the other edges after I've added some fields. Will have to see how much space I have. Though I do have another board primed ready so it wont be the end of the world If I cant't fit any more on this board ! :)

I really like the finished product! I actually plan to have a pond just like this on my layout.

Hope you don't mind me asking, but did you make this yourself?

PS. Oh. and thanks for the tip about using something to seal the boards. Will be very useful for my pond. I think I might line it with some putty perhaps? Or do you think I should only use putty for murky lakes that you can't see through?

What do you think?

Yes, I made this model - it's one of my earlier ones, between us (my partner and I) we've made about 20 different mini dios and water features now.

I don't know about using putty. For a murky pond I would make sure have a good greeny/brown pond bottom. perhaps with some dark lichen and rocks too.

This was a waterfall scene we did before we put the water in:

pib003.jpg

The finished pond

jg077.jpg

Also, something else (we learned the hard way), most water products will shrink, go yellow and crack after a month or so and you then have to keep re-doing them. So we only use Magic Water for our dios - a bit more expensive, but easy to use and you don't have to keep repairing your work.

We use it for puddles on tractor tracks too (I think you can just about see the muddy puddles on this dio):

mountford008.jpg

Edited by Lady Ferguson

Decided not to add another layer of plaster cloth and have just landscaped the hill.

I used woodland scenics undercoat, and then sprinkled on the grass. To finish I sprayed over a layer of woodland scenics cement.

Here are links to the finished hill:

100_1063.jpg

100_1064.jpg

100_1065.jpg

100_1066.jpg

100_1067.jpg

Must admit it looks more like a rock but I am delighted about the result! ^-^

Edited by RG110man

Thanks. Well.... I suppose that when you ask what part of the display it fits into you are referring to the layout. If so then this is where the majority of the rocks, mountains and greenery is going to go. Shrubs, trees, bushes ect. As you probably know I have two boards (60cm x 60cm). On the current board it will feature a Arable farmland a pond and greenery. And on the other board will be a yard, farmhouse and livestock fields. Cows, sheep ect. When I've finished them I'll probably add additional boards that can connect to the layout.

I was actually very surprised at how well the hill turned out. Even though as I said I think it looks more like a rock than a hill! (not that I'm really bothered because I'm actually pretty pleased with the effect considering it was my first attempt.)

Edited by RG110man

That's what I like to see, get stuck in and the end result will always better than what you think. Do as much research on ponds be for you begin, you'll be looking for depth of water, the colour of the pond bed, types of vegetation around the edge and what's growing in and out of the pond. Then look at the materials you have and if so make your own, visit near by forests look for mosses. If you need ideas send us an email

Phil