Muir Hill Tractors - A Pictorial Guide By F.t.f

The Tractor Twitcher

I wonder what happened to all the Perkins engined Muir Hills. I seem to remember there were a few around which had the model number 111. Also 141's are pretty rare too. I think we sold a 141 when I was at S.T.'s, which went to a farmer in Fletching. The biggest disadvantage of the Muir Hill transmission was the amount of PTO power absorbed in it. PTO outputs were always a disappointment from such a Majestic tractor.

I used to pick them up from the factory. Due to the time it took from ordering one to taking delivery; I've had to wait at the factory while the wheels were fitted before it could be loaded on my truck. Sometimes the paint was barely dry when they were loaded. Other times we've picked them up with the wrong wheels fitted and had to fit the correct ones when it arrived for its pre delivery inspection.

It was a great tractor to drive, but you did get thrown around quite a bit driving on rough ground. More so because of its height.

I have a pic (somewhere!) of the the 141(John Randall's of Fletching as mentioned) being set up on a Pottinger Mex V ( I think) up the top yard at Uckfield with both Mick & Trevor Slaughter + John (works foreman) preparing it for its first run one spring morning in the 80s.