Help with photo quality.

I enjoy taking photos of farm models and real machinery at shows. I use a Fuji 12.2 mega pixel camera. I am dissapointed at times with the picture quality. I have tried it on idiot mode as well as adjusting other settings including the iso, scene setting etc.

Here are two pictures as an example. This one is iso 200.

DSCF8285.jpg

This one is iso 800. This is particulary poor and is very hazy.

DSCF8286.jpg

Alot of my photos come out like this regardless of the setting. I describe the quality in both photos as a haziness and not sharp.This usually happens at shows ie, Agritechnica, model shows, sheds where the lighting is either very bright or not well lit. The above photos were taken in my shed which is quite well naturally lit. It was a cold day.

Am I using the wrong setting or is Fuji cameras not ideal for poorly lit scenes?

I would be grateful for any suggestions or help that anyone can give me. Thanks.

Edited by Hillview

Hi Peter .. The answer is that at 200 iOS in a poorly lit room your shutter speed is too slow and hence your image comes out blurred from the movement of your hand during the shutter actuation. The other problem at your 800 iso setting is that the camera can't handle this high setting without processing a grainy photograph .

You have three choices as follows..

1. Try to find the ISO sweet spot which will be vary for each light condition and will even vary as the sun ducks behind a cloud for instance.. But in all honesty, most bridge style cameras will struggle with ISO..

2. And my favourite solution.. Get a monopod which will take most of the shake out of your 200 ISO picture.

3. Get a DSLR which I'll be able to handle ISO settings higher up the scale much better

Hope that helps :)

A camera that is fitted with a good quality lense is also pretty important, something like a Carl Zeise and make sure there's no dust or damp on the lense when taking pics. Higher DPI resolution setting will also improve it.

i have had fuji cameras in the past and never had any real problems with them david, as marky said its more a case of tinkering with a few test shots, and using the stand or mono leg hes mentioned ,between mark ,david(walter derwent) and a few others on here i am sure they will all help