Hi guys and girls, recently I've been asked to write up a C.V by my employers, and I was wondering what to do? Also how would you go about sending it to a future employer? E.g post it or give it to them in person?

Thank you all very much :)

Mark.

Mark.

My Sister-in-law is always writing up her CV and sending off and being Russian always needs a bit of help with it. Anyway, first thing is type it on good quality paper and make sure that your spelling is absoluteley correct and the grammer, put your commas, full stops and apostraphies in the correct places. Start by 'introducing' yourself and write down any interests you have in relation to the job you are applying for, where you were educated and list your education qualifications, why you are applying for the post, your previous work and experience and what you believe you can bring to the job. Don't be afraid to 'glamourise' it a little but don't go over the top and keep it relatively short and to the point. Always send your CV to a prospective employer by first class post unless they say otherwise and it's always a good idea to have copies of your education certificates, GCSE's, diplomas, University degrees etc and any other educational awards so that if you are called in for an interview they will see that you have given it thought and are well prepared. Others will no doubt add more here for you.

Having had to read cv's in the past my advice would be to keep it concise and simple but give as much info as possible - use bullet points rather than a lot of narrative. I once had 24 applicants for a single job and having to read 4 page essays on their life history was both tedious and time-consuming.. i have always preferred to be given the basic details of qualifications, experience, ability, and how the applicant interacts with others (ie do you work well on your own, in a team etc.)

As Tim said, introduce yourself and let the employer know what you can bring to his business. You are selling yourself as the purpose of a cv is to persuade the prospective employer to grant an interview in the first place. Get him/her interested!

Good Luck

Hi guys and girls, recently I've been asked to write up a C.V by my employers, and I was wondering what to do? Also how would you go about sending it to a future employer? E.g post it or give it to them in person?

Mark.

I know in Ireland now it is nearly a given that you get the CV by email and post is nearly obsolete.I usually request a covering letter by

email as well just to see whether a potential candidate can write a letter.

The last post we advertised for a client, we received 30 cv's all bar one came by email. The advert said apply by email so that person was off to a

bad start. I then try and grade them based on relevant experience,ability,salary expectations and whether you get the sense from a cv whether they are an allrounder. The salary one was never an issue before but if someone has been in a job for 5 to 6 yrs it has been my experience that they are significantly better paid than the salary a new position carries.eg We advertised a job for a client carrying a salary of between 25k to 30k depending on experience.One of the people applying was on a salary of 50k. Feel free to ask any questions

F

The majority of employers normaly look at your CV as a 'first stage' which gives them a general idea of your suitability for employment and will draw up a 'short-list' of applicants accordingly and then will begin going though the list by inviting the applicant to attend an interview in which then he/she will ask you questions such as 'what is your salary expectations?', 'what do you believe you can bring to the buisness?', 'do you work well in a team?', 'do you work well under pressure?'. If you think about what questions you may be asked, in an interview you can sometimes cover most of these before they are asked, you often know how an interview has gone by the number of questions you are asked. Another thing to consider when attending an interview, get there in plenty of time, dress for the occasion, very smart or suited and booted never goes amiss, first impression in your potential employers eyes when you enter the interview will count a lot in your favour, don't go in wearing any body adornments like studs and earrings. I know we're discussing CV's but it doesn't hurt to look at the wider picture, doing so could get you your dream job.

Edited by powerrabbit

I usually have to apply for a new role every 4 to 12 week, I contract/temp for my living. So I did a lot of research on how the experts recommend you write you CV

Try looking at websites like

http://www.cvtips.com/resumes-and-cvs/how-to-write-a-cv.html

Also http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-15573447

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Employment/Jobseekers/Helpapplyingforajob/DG_173655

http://www.kent.ac.uk/careers/cv.htm

They usually have common advice but check as many as you can to see if there are any good suggestions on how to make your CV stand out from the others.

Also write the CV for the job you are applying for, tailor it to the Job advert/ Job Specification and Company.

Do not use colour paper, coloured ink or a fancy font, do not do anything that would make the recipient decide to reject the CV on appearance. You want to make them read it all and realise you are the person they are seeking!

Good luck it's not the easiest thing to do.

Mark.

harvey, am i missing a point here? i have never heard of an employer asking an employee for a c.v. if you are already working for them why do they need it. i hope your job is'nt about to become redundant!!

harvey, am i missing a point here? i have never heard of an employer asking an employee for a c.v. if you are already working for them why do they need it. i hope your job is'nt about to become redundant!!

Hi Chris, no nothing like that is happening, but at the minute I'm 15 and I've always got the job through farmers looking for some one, or by me being confident with the task in hand basicaly word of mouth.Anyway he takes on a lad about my age every other year and he helps us set out the C.V's and career goals really, and he's a really good help, and he enjoys spending the time with you to help you get the best chances at the job you're applying for! And we were talking about it last night and he told me to write out a letter/introductory and then my C.V and he'd help me get it all sorted, he also told me to ask other people what to include in it and how to set it out...so I thought I'd post it on here because it's full of honest and genuine people which try to help each other out! So I knew I would get some good answers and some good tips/advice! Thank you all, and don't be afraid to add to it ;) Mark