Oakley Estate Farms

the ad plant down here at language farm(the ice cream makers) takes food stuff from resturants via the local councils trucks and sorting , council pays him to take it rather than pay land fill taxes  , and uses all sorts of other waste from the farm , and other local farms , he's pretty much self sufficient for all his power for the farm and ice cream side of it , he only built it as he sold part of his land and original farm to a power company who built a new station on it, the cash from that funded the ad plant, as he already had a new farm built previously,  then topped his land up and some buying the neighbour out when they retired

That's interesting. The Oakley dairy farms would surely miss the reject spuds in there TMR's if they end up in the AD plant?.

Non of our reject spuds end up on our 2 dairy farms, as they are run by 2 individual tennents who have thier own TMR ingredients, we have no say in it at all, not even any of our grains end up in the mix but straw does for bedding youngstock. The relationship is fractious between myself and the tennents so i leave them to it, stick to arable and spuds, perhaps they feel threatened about taking over the grass ground...not my intention as they are small knappy stoney areas, they can keep them!

the ad plant down here at language farm(the ice cream makers) takes food stuff from resturants via the local councils trucks and sorting , council pays him to take it rather than pay land fill taxes  , and uses all sorts of other waste from the farm , and other local farms , he's pretty much self sufficient for all his power for the farm and ice cream side of it , he only built it as he sold part of his land and original farm to a power company who built a new station on it, the cash from that funded the ad plant, as he already had a new farm built previously,  then topped his land up and some buying the neighbour out when they retired

Sounds like a good businessman to me

New job opportunities available at Oakley Farms Ltd

Oakley Farms is a Somerset based arable farming business. Growing 5500 acres of combinable crops and potatoes along with a contract farming business. We have seen significant growth this year and are seeking four new members to complement our existing experienced and dedicated team. Applicants need to be highly motivated for these challenging but rewarding positions.

Yard Foreman/Assistant Manager

· Professional, practical and experienced working Farm Foreman

· Ability to deliver high standards and technical aptitude in crop, staff and machinery management.

· Solid experience of farming at scale and soil management.

· Strong knowledge of integrated precision farming and Controlled Traffic Farming (CTF).

· Reporting directly to the Farm Manager and Estate Director, you will be responsible for the day-to-day running of a large yard and team including grain-store and dryer operations, combinable crop and potato quality control and logistics ensuring smooth running at peak times.

· Appropriate experience and qualifications BASIS and FACTS, rough terrain forklift including PA1 and PA2 certificates.

Competitive remuneration package, vehicle, accommodation, pension and private health offered.

Skilled Sprayer,Combine & Drill Operator

Spraying and applying liquid fertiliser on combinable crops and potatoes utilising a self propelled sprayer. Driving one of the two combines working within a team on Controlled Traffic Farming (CTF).

Machinery includes:

· Challenger Rogator 36 metre with Trimble RTK GPS

· Claas Lexion 780TT 12.3 metre Trimble RTK GPS

. Challenger MT875E

. Horsch 12meter Sprinter Drill

Applicants must have PA1/PA2, good mechanical ability with attention to detail. Good remuneration package and accommodation available on the Estate if required.

Challenger and Arable Operator including relief Spraying

The successful applicant will operate a variety of modern arable machinery, principally focusing on the operation of a Challenger 865C on primary cultivation and drilling utilising 6 and 12 metre equipment on Controlled Traffic Farming (CTF).

Machinery includes:

· 12 metre Horsch Sprinter drill

· 12 metre Vaderstad Carrier

· 6 metre Subsoiler & Vaderstad Topdown

Experience of Trimble GPS and comprehensive workshop skills are important attributes for this position. Good remuneration package and accommodation available on the Estate if required.

Tractor Driver & GFW

Experienced tractor and machinery operator required for general farm duties around the estate. Principally operating a Grimme Cw150 destoner and assisting with the haulage of grain and potatoes at harvest along with irrigation. Experience of modern machinery an advantage, forklift qualifications necessary. Good remuneration package and accommodation available on the Estate if required

All applicants will be treated in the strictest of confidence.

To apply send your full CV by Monday 1st December 2014 to Oakley Farms, Estate Office, Whitelackington, Somerset

• Like 1

Sounds like a good businessman to me

he always has been alex , he's done school trips for years at the new farm , all his sheds and the milking building  have walkways above them, so kids can see whats going on, he started the ice cream part as he was struggling to make ends meet, now its award winning, and very nice to  that had the side effect of having to increase his  jersey herd to cope with the extra demand on his milk  , has 2 shops selling that ,plus one at the farm I guess now a days you need to diversify just to cover the price of milk and feeds the way they swing week from week ,  

• Like 1

no one can deny your impressive knowledge and accuracy Alex,and this shows right through your topic,i just feel the job advert might be a step to far,who is going to reply,1/32 plastic men? ;) i might apply if the moneys right,and before people start moaning,this post is meant in a light hearted way

Edited by paulali
  • Like 3

no one can deny your impressive knowledge and accuracy Alex,and this shows right through your topic,i just feel the job advert might be a step to far,who is going to reply,1/32 plastic men? ;) i might apply if the moneys right,and before people start moaning,this post is meant in a light hearted way

Wages are paid in Monopoly Money ;)
  • Like 2

The grading shed is pretty well complete now with the soil elevator in place and a couple of additions such as two small roofs, one over the soil elevator to prevent soil sticking to the belt when raining and the other just over where the trailers tip up to. Some yellow lines painted on the concrete to help guide the trailers back into a dark shed along with a budge bar to stop hopper damage from eager reversing Just some concrete panels to put up under the dirt elevator and we are done. post-2769-0-04400800-1416385621_thumb.jp post-2769-0-48810000-1416385672_thumb.jp post-2769-0-26102200-1416385746_thumb.jp post-2769-0-10657300-1416385801_thumb.jp post-2769-0-36210200-1416385917_thumb.jp post-2769-0-90904300-1416385975_thumb.jp

• Like 2

Some overhead pictures to show how the set up works. Potatoes received via the large hopper at the front of the machine and travel up to the transfer belt and onto the Scotts Evolution cleaning system where the bulk of any soil is extracted, then on over the first sizing screen where we take out Mids to be re graded in the winter and used as next years seed if any good. On through to the picking table where four staff stand to sort greens, rots etc, these are elevated to the side and into a box. We are running two box fillers, one at the rear of the machine for whole crop and one for the mids at the left. The dirt elevator is at the right which passes through the shed wall to outside. post-2769-0-71853400-1416386446_thumb.jp post-2769-0-58294800-1416386503_thumb.jp post-2769-0-97833200-1416386565_thumb.jp

• Like 2

on over the first sizing screen where we take out Mids to be re graded in the winter and used as next years seed if any good.

I take it this is completely illegal with you as it is over here (but sometimes done)?!

How many tonnes can the intake hopper take? Will you quickly unload the whole trailer and dump it's load into the hopper so the trailer can get back to the field whilst the load is graded or will it always be full of crop and slightly adding more and more? Does seem a very large unit to me. Didn't think it would be needed with small UK sized trailers.

What will be your next project? Installing a Christmas tree? ;D

An unusual sight at Oakley this week, with news leaked that our tractors are up for change next year, Agco dealers Drews of Dinton have pushed this demo our way, a Massey 7624 which Webby has got hauling 16 ton a time up to Branston. Interesting to see how this compares to the Deeres! post-2769-0-44183300-1416398184_thumb.jp post-2769-0-47518700-1416398243_thumb.jp

• Like 1

Amazing stuff Alex ....your posts just get better and better ,looking at you photo's i see 2 x forklift's .1 being the Manitou,the 2nd one is it a toyota by any chance if so is it 32nd scale and where can i purchase one

Case CX90

Thank You :) the larger forklift is a Nissan, made by Joal, not sure on the scale i'll have to look

An unusual sight at Oakley this week, with news leaked that our tractors are up for change next year, Agco dealers Drews of Dinton have pushed this demo our way, a Massey 7624 which Webby has got hauling 16 ton a time up to Branston. Interesting to see how this compares to the Deeres! attachicon.gifimage.jpg attachicon.gifimage.jpg

i didnt know that Drews sold masseys,i thought they sold challengers ,fendt and valtra's ?

I take it this is completely illegal with you as it is over here (but sometimes done)?! How many tonnes can the intake hopper take? Will you quickly unload the whole trailer and dump it's load into the hopper so the trailer can get back to the field whilst the load is graded or will it always be full of crop and slightly adding more and more? Does seem a very large unit to me. Didn't think it would be needed with small UK sized trailers. What will be your next project? Installing a Christmas tree? ;D

If im honest we never use them as seed unless its from virgin ground which is not likely with our rotation, so sold off to smaller growers or stockfeed. The intake hopper takes roughly 10 tonnes, so if the hopper and grader are completly empty a trailer can turn around in ten mins being the average size of UK trailers being 14 ton. But it doesnt work like that, with a steady stream of trailers in the yard the hopper is rarely completly empty, the speed of the hopper belt directly controls crop flow accross the picking off table. Capable of 250 t/day easy

We have an influx of job applications, some of which need replying to. Interviews taking place 1-5th Dec. Ex stock Paul. 12 plate they want rid of. We would very much like to grade for ither farms as its a perfect winter job for us, distance is no trouble either with transport arranged through Bonnings Transport.

• 3 weeks later...

Its been rather quiet recently on the Oakley Farms thread so i feel its time for an update! Although quiet on here lots has been going on in the back ground. First up last week we hosted the Avon and Somerset Rural Crime Prevention day which involved educating the constabulary about likey targets including Diesel, Tractors, ATV's, Workshop Equipment, and Technology such as GPS equipment, as well as what pieces of kit do what, costings and value of kit, trailer weights and breaking. It was great working with the Police to help beat rural crime and tackle issues such as keeping legal whilst we are on the road rather than having a dont care attitude. We look forward to welcoming them back for a pre harvest education day and inspection so we achieve green light status similar to VOSA and HGVs hopefully resulting in a hassel free harvest! 400t of Jelly potatoes have started moving this week on contract to Greenvale, taking advantage of the Christmas market, hoping to get rid of some more on the open market before xmas but Branston is dead as a doornail. Wheat price has started creeping up again which is welcomed news, until now only the forward sold grain has moved with no oilseeds or pulses movement, the new year i hope to have some movement as im not carrying any grain over into harvest, market forecasters have been wrong so far this year so im getting itchy feet with nearly 70,000t sat in the shed. I have been attending weekly meetings with SREG (Somerset Renewable Energy Group) after being elected along with other growers in the area including Julian Gillard, Bernard Cox, Nick Bragg, Danny Cobden, Sid Walters and Martin Burroughs about achieving targets for renewable energy in the county, we are well above target with the amout of AD Plants being constructed in South Somerset alone there are 7 in about 10 miles. I have great concern about this for a number of reasons 1 the driving up of land price in the area is about to go through the roof if it wasnt enough already and 2 the shear availability of it, competing with dairy farmers for maize ground, ad plants, and spud growers. being a contract arable farmer this worries me and my expansion plans, one thing im not affraid of is travelling a little further for land and plans are in the net to make this as efficient as possible which will help me stay competative. I am glad this group was formed as its a way of regulating area land use and brings growers together making them work together for the benefit of all. For example Oakley has teamed up with the AD plant going up at Orchard Farm, being a shareholder in the company and working hand in hand benefiting both parties. Oakley supplies small parcels of land to grow energy crops which suit the three crop rule on contract farmed land only offering good returns for my customers, we also have signed a contract to deal with all haulage and logistics of crops, from field to clamp, a major capital contract for Oakley in return for 25% profits and digestate cake to help our OM%. Although not agreeing with the idea completely of using land to grow energy as its not farming and we need to feed people but its too good an opportunity to miss as it pays and is guarantied income as well as being CAP reform exempt along with claiming FiT, RHi and EXt you sometimes have to look further than the end of your nose and put your beliefs to one side to make good business sense. On the land front 300 acres of land to let at Brymton in Yeovil has been swiped and 340 acres at Dorchester advertised in the back of the Farmers Weekly is in hands of solicitors, not entitely sure about cropping for these yet as i think a glut of Spring beans will be planted in the UK this year to meet CAP reform and 5% greening EFA's so spring barley maybe a more attractive option. post-2769-0-25783400-1418249094_thumb.jp

Edited by Oakley Farms
  • Like 2

Thanks Ol, Capital expenditure has been high in recent times thanks to a well structured business plan and the move into contract farming where the land owner pays the variable costs as well as paying me a fixed price to carry out the work and sharing the profits so it is in your interest to do a good job, attention to detail, timeliness and the right kit is where we win and the banks like this as its secure income. The bank has been very helpful in allowing us to build the business and the digester scheme is helping to release more capital, however the projections for expenditure in the next three years is scaled back focusing on efficiency to stay competitive with a target to farm around 10,000 acres, we have capacity or will do by the end of 2015 to cope with this and are currently running around 7000.

Some small news for a change, a meeting today with the land owner who is wishing to step down from his current duties of running the business parks and units and half the properties in the village, so i am taking this under my wing as well as my current job running the farming practices and re branding these additions bringing them alongside the farming business as one, Oakley Farms, Agricultural, Commercial, Industrial & Residential. The farm will take up 80% of my time but now being Estate Director some of my time will be allocated sorting issues out on a very profitable side of Oakley making more money than the farm. Some of my workload will be offloaded onto the new Arable Foreman who starts in January, interviews have taken place and entrants picked and will be announced shortly.

We are now allowed to announce the successful applicants to our recently advertised posts at Oakley Farms.

Yard Foreman/Assistant Manager - James Bacon, 32 year old ex arable manager with servicing experience and managment posts at EDF Energy Hinkley Point.

Skilled Sprayer,Combine & Drill Operator - Chris Bullen, 41 year old comes from a 17 year history in operating arable machinery on a 5000 acre enterprise in Cambridgeshire and has exceptional experience in working with CTF.

Challenger and Arable Operator including relief Spraying - This post goes to our very own Philip Wright, 38 year old who in the last year has shown great potential now fulfilling this job desription.

Tractor Driver & GFW - 29 year old Oakley Farms Harvest Student for the last 6 years, Dan Hooker has achieved his goal in becoming part of the full time team. A very keen individual and team player. I am over the moon with the young but experienced team we now have on farm, looking forward to getting the guys out working in the spring, these chaps will be Oakleys greatest assest and a new welfare package is being drawn up which includes a hot meal during peak working times.

• Like 1