Some classic Red's David Brown's & Internationals

BC

Yesterday afternoon I stopped off at Vic Mather's to see what he was up to in terms of tractor restoration's

First off all he showed me into one of his portacabins housing his recently acquired David Brown at Forfar a few weeks ago. It was a non runner at the sale but Vic has her up and running and by the sound of the petrol paraffin engine no work is need there and there are no oil or water leaks.

P1010127.jpg

P1010128.jpg

This portacabin also holds two of Vic's fully restored tractors a David Brown 50D and an International SWD Super 6 but more on these later since he decided to take them all out for a photo shoot since it was the first nice day we have had of late without rain 8)

Next visit was to another portacabin which holds Vic's recently restored David Brown 50TD. I remember taking pictures of this one unrestored a year or so ago but I cannot at the moment find them :angry:

Anyway here is what was lurking inside..started on the button off the battery...still awaiting s part for the hydraulic starting mechanism which was used to start the 50TD when it was originally used in Alaska.

P1010129.jpg

P1010130.jpg

P1010131.jpg

Vic then said a friend of his Keith Nicol who works one month off in South Africa and a month home in Aberdeenshire wanted photos of Vic's tractors to take back to South Africa with him. Vic said he was going back next Tuesday and would I be willing to take photo's if he took his fleet of five outside....silly question really and well I think you will know my answer ;D ;D

Preparing to take the crawler out.

P1010134.jpg

Next out was his 1947 David Brown Thresherman which he paid £ 5,600 a few weeks ago at Forfar...well £ 6,272 once you add on 10% buyers commission and VAT on the commission. Personally I would have tended to keep in working clothes but someone had started cataloying the wings etc so it is not totally originally. Anyway Vic's plans are to tinker with it this year show it at the rallies during the 2012 season and then fully restore (except the engine which is sound) over the winter of 2012/2013.

P1010139.jpg

P1010140.jpg

P1010141.jpg

P1010142.jpg

Next up Vic's W reg International 955 with 6 cylinder engine with a right grunt to it. Vic bought this tractor which was a one owner from new with 7,000 hours on the clock as a pulling tractor to tow the 50D and IH SBWD6 after getting a right soaking when pulling the 50D home with the cab less SWD6 from the BA Stores rally last year ;D ...then came along the Scania 143 the DAF95XF and the trailer with living quarters and tractor transportation space which you can see and read about under my GD Topic "Classic Scania's"

P1010150.jpg

P1010153.jpg

P1010154.jpg

Thanks toyfarmer...I plan to follow the restoration of the DB Thresherman...mind you I said that before about the 50TD and I never and what is annoying me even more is I don't know where I have put the photos :angry:

Great looking IH 955!

Yes it is fairly original and for once Vic is going to leave it in its working clothes...he has applied T cut to the bonnet and tied up inside the cab a little.

Very nice DB's. Those threshermans are as rare as hens teeth too i believe they only made 180 at the time.

Yes Vic has a nice collection and I honestly have not seen a Thresherman in the flesh before so maybe he did not pay over the odd for it :huh:

Thanks very much for posting these that 50TD looks minto, oh and the Internationals look grand as well big fan of these two manufacturers.

Sorry I missed you post in the last reply. When Vic does a restoration he gets it done well...maybe too well in some folks opinion with that 2 pack paint. I'm sure for £ 50,000 it could be yours since his last one sold in the region of £45 to £ 50k.

Sorry I missed you post in the last reply. When Vic does a restoration he gets it done well...maybe too well in some folks opinion with that 2 pack paint. I'm sure for £ 50,000 it could be yours since his last one sold in the region of £45 to £ 50k.

BC if I could afford to pay that money for a luxury like that I would there's nothing more I would love more than to have that 50TD, but for now unless I win the lottery or something I will stick to kind people like you posting the odd photo up. Thanks again Oliver

BC if I could afford to pay that money for a luxury like that I would there's nothing more I would love more than to have that 50TD, but for now unless I win the lottery or something I will stick to kind people like you posting the odd photo up. Thanks again Oliver

You never know when those 6 magical numbers may come up Oliver....but I can assure you I will take as many photographs of old tractors as I can ..in fact I looking forward now to following the restoration of the Thresherman ;D ;D

Super nice Bill, thank you for making those pictures.

Erik

Thanks Erik it was an enjoyable way to spend a nice dry and sunny afternoon since we haven't had a dry day for weeks....and purely coincidental Vic wanted a photo shoot for the fellow going back to South Africa on Tuesday....which reminds me I must go and burn the photos to too discs for Vic and Keith.

BC don't suppose you got any interior snaps on that 955 did you?

Although I had a seat in her no I didn't Oliver but I will be back with Vic's photo disk tomorrow so I'll try and get then if not it will be in two weeks time since I'll be tied up with the Aberdeen model show most of next weekend.

Yes DBfan some people say Vic does overdo them....but they are his and he can do what he likes to / with them and for a 77 year old he is so so enthusiastic about his restoration projects. He was saying he was in the workshop at 5am the other morning working on a lorry and wasn't home until 10 pm last Friday. He says wife and family and relatives are telling him to slow down and take things easier but well he is obviously enjoying himself with his hobby and well still actively taking part in running his haulage business although a lot smaller now than years ago.

I knew I had photos of the 50TD before the restoration started and now I have located where they were lurking. These were taken in August 2010

19082010002.jpg

19082010003.jpg

19082010004.jpg

19082010005.jpg

19082010006.jpg

19082010007.jpg

• 7 months later...

On Sunday afternoon i went round past to visit Vic Mathers since I had sent him an email about the DMR event near Cupar on 26th and 27th January 2013 since I got a delivery failure. Vic had not heard about the event but was interested to hear about it.

Anyway he was showing me the progrees on the reatoration of his Thresherman. In addition he was telling me he is taking his DB 50T down to Cheffins in the Spring time for sale. I suspect he will be looking for around £ 50k for it but time will tell.

P1000057.jpg

Some spare DB parts which will also be going down for sale.

P1000058.jpg

P1000059.jpg

P1000060.jpg

P1000061.jpg

Archived