Old skool models vs the New.

Going to post a few pics of the model tractors from the 70's,80's ,90's from Britains,Ertl & Siku & how they compare to the new realises of these classic's. Model detail has come along way over the past few years with the stream of classic tractor models continuing to flow onto the market.

Some of the models may not be exactly the same, but near enough. Members can feel free to post up their own pics on this topic of their own model comparsons Old v New.Ive nothing against the old stuff. They were great in their day & great memories from them & they now have collectable value. I myself love the oldies.

First up the Ford 5000's. All the older models are on the right of the pics, New on the left.

IMG_0804.jpg

Edited by justy 46

I think the accuracy and detail of models, be they of tractors and machinery as you collect, or people, animals and buildings as I collect, is only one of several reasons why collectors choose to buy whatever it is they collect. We all need to be clear in our minds what our main interest really is. New models/toys (some are clearly one or the other, some are sort of in a class between both) may be more accurate than old ones, but for some of us the item itself isn't really the point of the exercise, it is more to do with who made it, when they made it, and who they made it for.

I collect OLD TOYS in the Britains and their (mostly UK) competitors tradition, not just farm but zoo, soldiers, etc as well, in both the very old lead ranges and the older plastic, up to about 1970. I had to draw a metaphorical line somewhere. Even millionaires can't afford to buy, or have the space to store, everything.

It doesn't matter to me that a lot of old figures are frankly a bit rubbish compared to recently made models of the same or similar item, I want the old ones because to me they (almost) 'antiques', have value because the good condition examples available now are the 'survivors', most having been played with to destruction decades ago, and are a representaion of how (some) people (kids, their parents & toy manufacturers) saw the world back then. They also have a lot of charm, even if sometimes a complete absence of accuracy. May I refer you to the Phillip Segal thread in the figures section.

Edited by david_scrivener

when you look at it, the old ones really aren't that bad (with a few exceptions) but thats their charm like David says. In 30 years will UH etc models be as popular as Britains? I'd say probably not. Either way you collect what suits you. Really good thread this justy. Its nice to see some older models alongside the newer ones ;D

when you look at it, the old ones really aren't that bad (with a few exceptions) but thats their charm like David says. In 30 years will UH etc models be as popular as Britains? I'd say probably not. Either way you collect what suits you. Really good thread this justy. Its nice to see some older models alongside the newer ones ;D

Cheers guys for the comments. I have a big passion for old Britains stuff myself & value them more than the modern stuff. Could not part with them even tough the detail aint great& sometimes very wrong ,like the Ford 5610 & MF 3680 for e.g. from Britains. Buts its the childhood mems & the collectable value is what makes them special to me.

I see Model Tractor mag & Model Farmer comparing the old & new from time to time, so add a few pics guys if ye have similar models. Im only posting pics of what i have,but im sure there is plenty more from other members collections!

Edited by justy 46

Perhaps im wrong here but to me, the older examples were marketed as 'toys' and the newer examples are 'models'. Britains were always regarded as a play thing whereas the newer tractors shown above are really shelf models and as such, have much more detail are are finished to a much higher standard. The comparative cost of these examples too would a reflection of this. A modern tractor such as the Fendt, Mercedes, Valtra would have a much higher price because of this also, compared to the more affordable Britains model offered for a few pounds upon its release, back in the day.

Just my 2c!

Detail is better on the newer ones but the older ones had more uses.The loader & front linkage could fit on any tractor except the MB trac.I miss being able to swap them about.

With you there mate. May not have been realistic but as Britainsmad has posted above, they were designed for kids.

Perhaps im wrong here but to me, the older examples were marketed as 'toys' and the newer examples are 'models'. Britains were always regarded as a play thing whereas the newer tractors shown above are really shelf models and as such, have much more detail are are finished to a much higher standard. The comparative cost of these examples too would a reflection of this. A modern tractor such as the Fendt, Mercedes, Valtra would have a much higher price because of this also, compared to the more affordable Britains model offered for a few pounds upon its release, back in the day.

Just my 2c!

They may have been classed as a plaything. But the old Britains were the best on the market in their day ( be it model or plaything) & id give them a place on my display shelf any day. Ertl models were a pure playthging without a dought ,as were Siku. They were solid & built to take some fierce abusive carpet farming. :laugh: But Britains had some gems infareness with both tractors & implements alike. Off course models these days are far more detailed. But this topic is just showing how it all evolved from the start to the present day. Britains are stilll the legends of the bunch. ;) Edited by justy 46

Yeah I have to agree with the posts outlying the differences in marketing of Britains of yesteryear and the manufacturers of today. Who knows what the collectability will be like in years to come, Siku models tend to carry a high value especially for the Agritechnica, LCN editions and so on.

The one outstanding fact (for me) that I don't think any other manufacturer has (collectors of tin plate and so on my disagree with this) after Britains and that is their charm. Britains farm toys are charming.

• 1 year later...