Our new 44ft diamond harrow in action

Jasons

It seems our never ending search for the perfect finishing tool continues. After going through a couple VT disks and who knows what else we've ended up with a 44ft Kelly Diamond Harrow. This thing is an absolute monster. It does a fantastic job on the weeds and the soil is ready to plant when it's done. I certainly question it's usefulness in less the idea soil conditions but on a year like this year it's laying the ground down like a garden. It does have some disadvantages. Namely it's very long which means we really don't have a shed that it and the quad track will fit in without removing everything else in the shed. Also you can't turn short with it in the field or it ridges to be beat hell. Narrow field entrances are pretty tricky too. Luckily most of ours are 40ft plus so it should only be a problem on a few.

On with the videos.

Unfolding

Hope you enjoy the videos!

That is immense! From what I can see, that ground could be seeded for a football (soccer) pitch!! How long ago was the land last worked and what was used? It looks a huge piece of kit, I'm not surprised you can't get it in a shed! :D

Did you say 40ft field entrance? Here you would feel lucky to get one 15ft wide!! :D

That is immense! From what I can see, that ground could be seeded for a football (soccer) pitch!! How long ago was the land last worked and what was used? It looks a huge piece of kit, I'm not surprised you can't get it in a shed! :D

Did you say 40ft field entrance? Here you would feel lucky to get one 15ft wide!! :D

I think that land was last worked back in November. We hit it with a disc chisel then. Yep, 40ft entrances. It's nice to get the big equipment in and out of the fields without any problems.

So the soil was worked deep and then left to condition with the help of the winter weather, then this huge to just re-works the top to get your seed tilth? Can we have a photo of soil engaging part of it when you some spare time? I'd like to see what actually does the work :)

Yep that's the gist of it. This year has been ideal though. I would think in a normal year we would need to run the field cultivator over the ground either before this tool or maybe instead of this tool.

kelly-harrow-blades.jpg

kelly-harrow-rear-blades.jpg

Kelly-harrow-side.jpg

Hopefully those pictures get you what you are looking for. They look like small disc blades but are not on an axle like disc blades. It's kind of odd.

Just the job. Appreciate that, Jason. I thought they may have been scalloped or star shaped discs to be honest. May I ask how much this machine would cost?

To be honest I'm not 100% sure. The dealer said it was 10k dollars less the the Landoll VT disc we were getting rid of so I think that places it right around $90k. We haven't gotten a bill on it yet though.