Tarland Agricultural Show 2012 - Saturday 11th August

BC

The next show I will be atending as a spectator only will be the Tarland Show. It's not a huge agricultural show but it includes a vintage tractor section a truck show and a model tent with mainly lorries, cranes and heavy haulage exhibits.

It was a lovely sunny and warm day at Tarland for the agricultural show which included a vintage tractor section and also a truck show for a third year. Last year they had 40 trucks and this year 75 so good to see that two of Nicol of Skene drivers Gary Macaulay and John (milky) Farquharson have got this to be a growing shoe in the North East of Scotland. The closest truck show is in Edinburgh and was held last weekend.

Anyway pictures as I took them on the day of lorries, tractors and model. Sorry no livestock etc I didn't have time to get around much of the agricultural part of the show.

Quite a rare Dodge from retired fish haulier Bruce Mackie from Kemnay. Bruce won a 3rd in one of the two vintage clases. This lorry was actually first used in Tarland, Due to storage space Bruce and son cut it back to an artic unit spec.

P1030085.jpg

Next Sandy Downie's Atkinson Border with Cummins engine in the colours of G&J Jack fish hauliers from Fraserburgh. This won best overall and quite a few other prizes.

P1030086.jpg

The boxes are mock well in fact not even that they are just side panels witch slot together to hide the living quarters inside...rather an ingenious idea in comparison to some I have seen.

P1030087.jpg

Now the load of boxes looks wrong...but they are actually the way fish was hauled...can anyone tell me what looks wrong about the load but is really correct :huh:

It was Bruce Mackie who pointed it out to me and he was telling me many stories about his fish hauling days from Malaig.

P1030088.jpg

The living quarters

P1030089.jpg

The next one was a 6 year old tipper working with tar and was immaculate. It won a first and deservedly so.

P1030090.jpg

Co organiser.."Milky's" daily drive again kept well consider it is used for tar and quarry work and building sites etc.

P1030115.jpg

Built by a swede and driven by a neep was what Derek had put on the back of co organiser Gary's daily drive. Quite an age of a motor now but kept in immaculate condition.

P1030116.jpg

Some of the work it does and places it goes

P1030117.jpg

Another local tipper operator Miller Plant from Midmar and looking for tipper drivers.

P1030118.jpg

P1030119.jpg

P1030120.jpg

P1030127.jpg

P1030128.jpg

This 1977 Volvo was also a prize winner...don't they look so small back then and glass all round

P1030129.jpg

P1030130.jpg

Nice load of classic Ford from Sandy Dalgarno of Overton Dismantlers...shame about the rather newer transporter.

P1030131.jpg

P1030132.jpg

Albert Irvines display

P1030166.jpg

P1030167.jpg

Harry Thomson Junior was a first time exhibitor with models..maybe another possible one for the 3rd Aberdeen Model show :unsure:

P1030168.jpg

P1030169.jpg

P1030170.jpg

Davie Silver used Stuart's 143 to transport his models to the show

P1030171.jpg

And Davie King brought along the 142

P1030172.jpg

Bert Stewart and Harold Smith with their TK Bedford and National Gas which is for sale but failed to be sold at a recent sale at Cheffins.

P1030173.jpg

Some tractors at last

P1030174.jpg

P1030175.jpg

P1030176.jpg

This won first prize

P1030177.jpg

A T Cab with double deck and spec frame

P1030205.jpg

P1030206.jpg

Ex Eddie Stobart T Cab

P1030207.jpg

An afternoon appearance for Gordon Ridells...Peterbilt

P1030208.jpg

Davie Silver with a collection of older models. He plans to show older ones at next year Aberdeen show having sold off some of his collection of T Cabs...I like the idea of variety from exhibitors since it keeps the show fresh for the spectators

P1030209.jpg

More of Harry Thomson's table

P1030210.jpg

P1030160.jpg

This work horse from J&G Riddell picked up quite a few prizes as well

P1030161.jpg

P1030162.jpg

Well I think that is it from me from the 2012 Tarland Show...I enjoyed my day there and hope you have enjoyed the pictures.

I had a wee bit of a problem when about to head from home...my car would not start...silly me had left my headlights on since before 8am until 4 pm ish. Never mind A1 recovery were there but they did not have a 12 volt booster pack but never mind I knew father and son team Alistair and John Macaulay had a 12 or 24 volt booster pack in the box on their 135 and I remember them saying they always carried it. Started me no bother and save the hassle of calling out the RAC and finding the postal code for the Tarland Showground ;D ;D

Some cracking photo's there Bill,brought back some memories,Punctual Pullage,I haven't seen them in years,they all used to thunder through Milnathort before the M90 opened,how none of them ended up through the pub by the roundabout is a wonder,and oh aye,the fish box's are not interlocked,

Regards

Joe.

Thanks Joe it was a cracking day...and I never got to my packed lunch until after 2 when the combine was going.

That particular lorry is owned by Bill Milne from Aberdeen...I must admit I was not sure about the trading name.

On the fish boxes why is the the top row upsides down though :huh:

Spot on driver Joe ;D ;D

I was also told that you have to be quick getting the top boxes and cover on since the seagulls would pinch the fish. Bruce Mackie said the way to combat stealing was to kill a seagull with a shovel and leave it in an empty box. That kept the others away but the fishermen didn't like that being done. Bruce said you carried the dead gull in the spare wheel and used it for a few days before the maggots got it.